Run-in With TA over cabin change....

popsec

We went through an on-line travel agency and got a great deal on our upcoming Feb 4th cruise. We booked a 8A guarantee balcony and finally got our cabin assignment this week...we were moved up to an 8F mid-ship. Got thinking about it and decided to try to swap for an 8C extended balcony. Our last online travel agency was able to get us swapped at no cost on this ship on our last cruise. Anyway, I emailed the agent and asked her to check with Carnival to see how much extra it would be (if there was a charge). I was asking to go DOWN from an 8F to an 8C. She came back with a quote of $310 more per person!! I emailed back and said that didn't seem correct as it's generally not much difference and we'd only paid $699 pp for the whole 8 day cruise! She replied back, "take it or leave it". I replied back that I'd appreciate a 3-way call with Carnival. She emailed back that Carnival didn't do that. So....I called Carnival and she'd lied to me...I knew they did 3 way calling. I called the TA and told her that they did do 3 way calling and I'd like her to set it up. She told me that only Carnival could initiate the call, which I knew was a line of crap. By now I was getting really P...-off and was going to go through with it even if it made no big difference to me. So.....I called Carnival and spoke to a supervisor and then called the TA back and gave her the supervisor's number and extension. She told me she'd have to get approval from her supervisor and would get back to me. She called me back abt 15 minutes later and told me that our cabin had been switched to an extended aft balcony....at no charge. This travel agent will NEVER get another booking from me! Since this will be our 7th cruise within a year, that was not a smart move on her part!

The upshot of my long, involved post is that you can work things through if you're persistant.

And before I get flamed for booking a guarantee and then not being satisfied, let me say that I was prepared to pay a reasonable price to switch but would have been fine with it if it wasn't possible.

I think that sometimes persistance is necessary and obviously it worked for you! Now the big question is did that agency book the 6 prior cruises for you? If so and (up until now) and you were satisfied I woould call the agency back and talk with the manager. Explain what happened and tell that manager what YOUR expectations of service are and if they can comply with them. Just because you were stuck with one agent that seemingly was uncooperative (Or uninitiated or otherwise lazy) shouldn't be a reason to drop the agent providing that they gave satisfactory service before. The only reason I mention that is because you seem to be a fair person. You never know it might yield a freebie bottle of champagne ...

FF

This is one of the larger on-line agencies and we'd never used them before. We booked our last NCL cruise through what I believe is the biggest discount cruise agency and that agent went above and beyond to get us a great cabin, even though we booked at the last minute. I'll happily stick with her from now on (I already had this cruise booked when we booked the NCL cruise).

We went through an on-line travel agency and got a great deal on our upcoming Feb 4th cruise. We booked a 8A guarantee balcony and finally got our cabin assignment this week...we were moved up to an 8F mid-ship. Got thinking about it and decided to try to swap for an 8C extended balcony. Our last online travel agency was able to get us swapped at no cost on this ship on our last cruise. Anyway, I emailed the agent and asked her to check with Carnival to see how much extra it would be (if there was a charge). I was asking to go DOWN from an 8F to an 8C. She came back with a quote of $310 more per person!!

I know from working over 20 years in the travel business that probably what happened is that from the time you originally booked all of the category rates went up. Even though you were downgrading, the overall prices were higher from when you booked hence the difference--does that make sense to you? Also cruise prices generally get more expensive closer to the departure date other than those last minute regional specials (ie Florida residents special). This holds true particularily in the peak season of winter. However a good agent will do everything they can to keep the customer happy--you were fortunate this worked out for you.

Just today I started having some issue w/ my on-line agent. Every rep I speak to gives me a different story when I question if the rate has gone down or if they will price match some lowere competitor price. My on-line agent begins w/ the letter after N - how about yours? Want to know if this is an isolated incident for me.

We booked a 8A guarantee balcony and finally got our cabin assignment this week...we were moved up to an 8F mid-ship. Got thinking about it and decided to try to swap for an 8C extended balcony. Our last online travel agency was able to get us swapped at no cost on this ship on our last cruise. Anyway, I emailed the agent and asked her to check with Carnival to see how much extra it would be (if there was a charge). I was asking to go DOWN from an 8F to an 8C.

Technically, you paid for an 8A and were given an upgrade to an 8F. If you did not like that cabin and wanted an 8C, then you should have had to pay for the difference between the 8A and the 8C. Even though you got what you wanted and had to jump through hoops to get it, you shouldn't be that upset.

Technically, you paid for an 8A and were given an upgrade to an 8F. If you did not like that cabin and wanted an 8C, then you should have had to pay for the difference between the 8A and the 8C. Even though you got what you wanted and had to jump through hoops to get it, you shouldn't be that upset.

The way I read it, the OP was upset with the agent for either being ignorant and unprofessional or being an outright liar and unprofessional.

We went through an on-line travel agency and got a great deal on our upcoming Feb 4th cruise. We booked a 8A guarantee balcony and finally got our cabin assignment this week...we were moved up to an 8F mid-ship. Got thinking about it and decided to try to swap for an 8C extended balcony. Our last online travel agency was able to get us swapped at no cost on this ship on our last cruise. Anyway, I emailed the agent and asked her to check with Carnival to see how much extra it would be (if there was a charge). I was asking to go DOWN from an 8F to an 8C. She came back with a quote of $310 more per person!!

I know from working over 20 years in the travel business that probably what happened is that from the time you originally booked all of the category rates went up. Even though you were downgrading, the overall prices were higher from when you booked hence the difference--does that make sense to you? Also cruise prices generally get more expensive closer to the departure date other than those last minute regional specials (ie Florida residents special). This holds true particularily in the peak season of winter. However a good agent will do everything they can to keep the customer happy--you were fortunate this worked out for you.

Actually, the military rate stayed the exact same from the time I booked it until now. Also, when she replied to my initial request, she said I should feel lucky that I was upgraded from oceanview to balcony. My original booking info showed that I'd booked 8A balcony guarantee so I have no clue where that came from....

I wouldn't have been upset at not being able to switch....I was upset by the incompetance and untruthfulness of the agent just because she didn't want to be bothered. Her job is to not only take new bookings BUT to also act as the intermediary between the cruiser and the cruise line.

this is why I won't use an online agency. My TA recognizes my voice when I call. I've used her enough that the other agents in the office know who I am. If I have a problem (which I have) and she's not there (which has happened) I get the same level of service from whoever is there at the time. I am not even in the same state anymore and still use this agency because of the excellent service I receive.

this is why I won't use an online agency. My TA recognizes my voice when I call. I've used her enough that the other agents in the office know who I am. If I have a problem (which I have) and she's not there (which has happened) I get the same level of service from whoever is there at the time. I am not even in the same state anymore and still use this agency because of the excellent service I receive.

I recognize your font every time you post. Does that count for anything? ;)

Happy new Year Bernie to you & Ed.

Bill

The way I read it, the OP was upset with the agent for either being ignorant and unprofessional or being an outright liar and unprofessional.

When it was mentioned that the price seemed too high, that wasn't the way I read it. My take was price was the number 1 issue and the actions of the TA secondary.

I wouldn't have been upset at not being able to switch....I was upset by the incompetance and untruthfulness of the agent just because she didn't want to be bothered. Her job is to not only take new bookings BUT to also act as the intermediary between the cruiser and the cruise line.

If she is with a large online only TA, her job MAY BE to take bookings only. I know of some that discourage their order takers from providing decent customer service.

Archived