Shore Excursion ?

jsd0330

I have booked it for our 1st cruise in March with my family. We have never been to St. Maarten and it's going to take the whole day away to go on this excusion. I really wanted to know if it's worthy of the whole day.

I really have always wanted to go snorkeling.

St. Maarten is a better port for shopping if you are into that, but know what prices are back in US for articles you are interested in and be aware that the shop keepers on the most part will barter on price particularly in the shops owned by East Indians. The snorkeling here is alright but there are better places in the Caribbean and the Bahamas to do this. The trip to Tintamarre Is. is good although. If you tell what cruise itinerary you are doing, I could make my suggestions as what ports I believe would have better snorkeling. If you are really interested in a boat tour, this is as good a place to do do that, but I would do a sail to St. Barts or the America Racing yachts if available before doing a snorkeling one here. Below is what I previously posted on what to do in St. Maarten.

The last time we were here on a cruise ship stop,we rented a van to show my sister, her friend and another couple we met onboard ( who were all 1st time visitors ) the island. It helped that we had vacationed here and rented cars twice previously. It cost $65 or $70 for the day and I even negotiated it to include the tax which was to be extra. That was 3 years ago.

There are quite a few vehicle rental agencies right at the cruise dock and they send reps out to get passengers to their agency. Negotiate the rental price with them before they walk you back to their rental office.

The roads here are easy to navigate with a map and almost all local drivers are courteous to tourist like stopping to let you cross the street if you are walking or letting you in if driving. I seem to recall that rental vehicles were identifiable by their licence plates. Although Marigot and Philipsburg can be congested with traffic when many ships are in port.

If you go to the next bay ( Little Bay ) west from from Great Bay where the ship docked ( which is on east side ) and where Philipsburg is located, there is a nice beach there. There is good snorkeling along the point separating the two bays. I saw schools of squids as well as lots of fish there. It is a long walk around Great Bay ( about 2miles and thru Philipsburg ) but doable or you could take a taxi one way and walk back to the town ( which is closer to Little Bay than the cruise dock ), shop and sight see if you want and then take a taxi ( regular or water ) back to the ship. There are hotels on that bay also for refreshments and meals.

Orient beach is about six miles north, Grand Case, eight miles north ( both in the French section ) and Mullet Bay, seven miles west just past the airport are the other nice beaches. All have hotels and restaurants that provide services. Be warned that the north end of Orient beach is the completely nude beach if you are sensitive to this. Most nude people I have seen on this beach needed to wear cloths. It it quite a sight to see eigthty or so years olds strolling in the buff here. All beaches are topless for both sexes, no discrimination here in this respect.

Archived