cabin info

winny63

Hi

Im new to celebrity cruising and would like to know if anyone knows the meaningof cat 8

does this mean its a bottom of the boat steerage type room? and does that mean we will feel inferior?

from what i have been reading mostly is that it is.

not that we will spend much time there just dont want to think we paid what we did and got less ..

also can anyone tell me what the difference of star princess vs galaxy

we had a wonderful time on star but we did have a wonderful cabin.

does it make a difference of the cabin type to the service you get?

I know all this sounds petty but we dont want to be disapointed after sailing on the star.

thanks for any information you can give me

Diane

Winny63- My wife and I were just on the Thanksgiving voyage of the Star and will be taking the Galaxy out of Jan Juan this March. We liked the star but was not overlly impressed. Our cabin was wonderful, we had a large balcony on the Caribe deck. As to the differences it is all relative...except for the age of the vessel. Galaxy is about 10 yrs old and the Star is about 4 yrs old. However, since we are around 30 yrs old and active we go for the ports. The carib. itinerary of the Galaxy can not be beat, that is my opinion of course.

My wife and I are learning that we prefer the small ships 80000 tonnes to the larger ones like Star 100000+ tonnes.

Which Galaxy cruise are you taking? Med of Carib?

On our upcoming cruise, the cost difference between a cat 8 and cat 4 is only $40 bucks per person. The only difference that I know of is that their is a little sitting area next to the window and the cabin is in a little better location. The service will be the same in this categories.

Hope this helps,

Roger

This is a link to Celebrity's website which shows deck plans and describes the category of cabins on each deck. You can see each deck (from the list at the top.)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/deck.do;jsessionid=0000W0QD1grW86HGxVC5GGBP9iR:1028etrd4?shipCode=GL

This is also a good place to check when choosing your cabin as you can find out what is on the deck above and below your cabin (I like to choose cabins that are on a deck between two other decks of cabins.)

Hi Winny,

The category 8 cabins are 172 sq ft (standard ocean view size), and decorated the same as higher category standard cabins. They are located on decks 4 and 5, some of the cabins on deck 5 are forward, near the bow of the ship. These cabins may have a port hole rather than a larger window.

Your service level is the same regardless of the category of your cabin, with the exception that Concierge Cabins and Suites have a few extra amenities, and butler servce. You should be comfortable in this category of cabin, and enjoy your cruise just as much as being in any other category.

petert

Winny63- My wife and I were just on the Thanksgiving voyage of the Star and will be taking the Galaxy out of Jan Juan this March. We liked the star but was not overlly impressed. Our cabin was wonderful, we had a large balcony on the Caribe deck. As to the differences it is all relative...except for the age of the vessel. Galaxy is about 10 yrs old and the Star is about 4 yrs old. However, since we are around 30 yrs old and active we go for the ports. The carib. itinerary of the Galaxy can not be beat, that is my opinion of course.

My wife and I are learning that we prefer the small ships 80000 tonnes to the larger ones like Star 100000+ tonnes.

Which Galaxy cruise are you taking? Med of Carib?

On our upcoming cruise, the cost difference between a cat 8 and cat 4 is only $40 bucks per person. The only difference that I know of is that their is a little sitting area next to the window and the cabin is in a little better location. The service will be the same in this categories.

Hope this helps,

Roger

This is only a comment from someone who has cruised for several years, on many ships and in no way is a criticism of the poster who has offered some constructive information (which is what these boards should be about). If I had just started cruising I might feel the same ... but 80,000 tons is not a small ship. Renaissance ships which X is picking up are only a few years old and are 30,000 tons. We've sailed them with REN in both Europe and Tahiti and love them. The older ships were smaller yet but didn't have the modern conveniences.

Spender Nui is 100% correct. In no way is an 80000 tonne ship small. I probably should have said smaller. The smallest ship that I have been on was the SS Britanis which was about 17,000 tonnes. I was only 12 when I was on that ship, but at that time it seemed huge! It is all a mater of perspective.

Although this ship is important, for us it is all about the ports! We really enjoy going to different ports and diving in different locations.

Roger

We usually prefer smaller ships. That said, we took our daughter, son in law and the 2 grandkids on the Caribbean Princess last summer. The ship was huge and we all enjoyed it. So much that we're going again this summer on the Crown Princess. It's all about what works for you ... at any given time.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

We just finished our first Celebrity cruise in a Cat 8 cabin. While we did not feel (or were made to feel) inferior, we were not that happy with the cabin. We had only done 2 cruises on DCL, one in a verandah cabin and one with a porthole. But the porthole was huge (well much bigger than X) and both the cabins were 216 sq ft (interior space). The Century cabin was 172 sq ft (teeny) and the port hole was 11" in diameter AND you had to balance on the bed to look into it. But this cruise was only for 5 nights. Had we been on the ship longer, we would have paid the extra $$ for a larger cabin and a verandah or at least a window we could look out of.

All in all, we are happy we went on the cruise and that we really enjoyed Celebrity, but I wish we had realized what we were getting into when we booked (we booked a GTY) because the site we were using for our information said that Cat 8 gave you a large picture window, which in not correct.

Archived