A dining room seating question..

clerky96

We are sailing Feb 25th on the NCL Sun. There is just the 2 of us. Freestyle dining is new for us. Will we be seated at a larger table with others, or at a table for two? Doesn't make any difference to me, I was just curious. Thanks.

Donna

We are sailing Feb 25th on the NCL Sun. There is just the 2 of us. Freestyle dining is new for us. Will we be seated at a larger table with others, or at a table for two? Doesn't make any difference to me, I was just curious. Thanks.

Donna

What ever you want. They will seat your normally as a table for two or if you meet folks onboard you can go to dinner with them or you can request to be seated with others. No set rule. You can do something different every night.

Enjoy

That's one of the main things we enjoy about freestyle. If we want a cozy dinner for just the two of us, there are plenty of tables for two available. If we're sick of each other's conversations :D (been married 28 years, you know), we will frequently ask to be seated at a larger table.

Our last cruise on the Jewel, we did notice that there weren't as many people who seemed to be sharing tables at dinner. It happened very frequently at breakfast, a little less often at lunch, but not very often at dinner. There were a couple of nights when we requested shared seating and were seated at a table for 6. One night, no one else joined us, and the other night they seated us with another couple, but the other two chairs remained empty.

That's one of the main things we enjoy about freestyle. If we want a cozy dinner for just the two of us, there are plenty of tables for two available. If we're sick of each other's conversations :D (been married 28 years, you know), we will frequently ask to be seated at a larger table.

Our last cruise on the Jewel, we did notice that there weren't as many people who seemed to be sharing tables at dinner. It happened very frequently at breakfast, a little less often at lunch, but not very often at dinner. There were a couple of nights when we requested shared seating and were seated at a table for 6. One night, no one else joined us, and the other night they seated us with another couple, but the other two chairs remained empty.

I'll second that observation. But I wish to add, I've seen several couples that met aboard dining together at a table for four, just not with other strangers during dinner at a table for six or eight. Not everyone was dining alone. It seems passengers prefer making their own dinner plans themselves, vs allowing the cruise line to do so on the fly.

So, if you wish to meet and dine with others, get out of your cabin and mingle a little at the many actiivitites aboard the ship, and make some new friends.

We did a cruisetour with RCCL last June and were seated at a table for 10. Of course it was the same people every evening, but we enjoyed it. Hubby or I neither one are very outgoing people, so it is kind of hard for us to meet new people. We have been married 39 years the day we set sail, so I understand about "being sick of each others conversations sometimes"! After that many years together (plus 2 years in high school & 1 year after before we were married), there is only so much to talk about! Usually I talk and he listens (or doesn't listen, depending on what he is watching or doing at the time!:D )

Donna

Clerky -- have you joined the roll-call for your sailing, if there's one active? Our last two cruises, we've had a lot of fun with people we met through the roll call. For our May 2005 cruise, we had our young-adult age kids with us. We probably ate with just them 2 or 3 nights out of the 7 day cruise. The other nights, we had various friends from the roll-call join us. A couple of nights we ended up with just one other couple and the four of us, while another couple of nights we had groups of 8 or 10.

We did the same thing on our Jewel cruise. Two nights we ate with the friends that we knew before booking the cruise, a couple of nights we ate by ourselves, two nights we ate with one other couple from the roll-call group, and the last night we had a group of 8 of us.

That's my favorite aspect of freestyle cruising. I've never thought I'd enjoy being seated at a table with the same large group of strangers for traditional dining, but we do like mingling with friends that we make on the cruise.

Archived