My cruise fare dropped...now what?

Anatresia

I have been deligent about checking the fare on the website where we booked (not Carnival's site) and noticed today that the fare dropped $50/person. :D

I called the travel agency (a major credit card company) and first she pretended not to see the different rate. Then she "found" it and told me to adjust the price, it would cost me a $200 penalty.

I make final payment on January 8th, so I know she's F.O.S. I told her I switched ships, which involved cancelling and rebooking, with no penalty, and that no penalty was mentioned in the paperwork, so long as I hadn't made final payment. Then, she asked if she could call me back after she "figures this out." (*****?)

So, I hope my information is correct. According to Carnival's site, I have unitl 76 days out to make changes or cancel my cruise without a penalty. Since I've already changed the booking, I know this company is able to do so without a random $200 fee.

If I have to, I will cancel with them altogether and book with Carnival. I only went through this agency because their initial rates were cheaper than Carnival's. Lesson learned, I guess.

Where does the onboard credit part come into play? Do I ask her for it, or ask Carnival, if they won't adjust the rates?

It's only $100 difference, so I'm not going to freak out over it, or anything. I'm just so inspired by all you awesome wheeling and dealing folks on here that I want the best cruise rate possible. And I THANK you for giving me enough information this past year to enable me to even try to get this discount. :)

Okay- the agent said she can't help me today (which I believe is a lie) and the woman who can help me is off until Monday- THE DAY MY FINAL PAYMENT GOES THROUGH. Convienently. I mentioned this to her and she said, "Well, they are closed until Monday, but I'll mark that you called today so maybe they can help you."

This is annoying.

I called Carnival and they can't help me (which I expected) but they did say that no penalties should be given until Jan. 22nd. I might call the travel agency and cancel altogether and rebook through Carnival's site.

Lesson learned- book through Carnival directly.

I hope it works out for you... we have always gone directly with Carnival and my PVP has been very good about giving us all discounts.

Before our final payment was due he called to tell me the rate had gone down and applied the credit to the balance and then 2 weeks before our cruise I called because there was an additional discount and he applied it to our account as an onboard credit.

I booked our last several cruises thru a PVP and have had good luck. The price has dropped every time and I have gotten the credit. If I had already made a final payment, I got an onboard credit. On our last cruise I received a credit of $465.00. This is in addition to several price drops. I have had very good response from PVP's.

My first 3 cruises I used either a TA or online agency and got no extras. Then I found this site, booked my 4th with a PVP, got fabulous service, 2 price drops and someone that would talk to me anytime I had a question. Only booking thru Carnival PVP from now on for me.

Ah great...can anyone recommend one, or can you speak to one in particular?

Ivarivd,

You can speak to particular PVPs, however we can't recommend a particular PVP in this forum; it's against the rules. :p I've had good and bad experiences with whoever answers the 1800 Carnival number. If you get a bad answer, just call back and speak to a different person. :)

Anatresia,

If you speak to the right person at Carnival, you can get the booking transferred from your travel agency directly to Carnival if you're having problems they refuse to resolve. As long as the TA is listed, Carnival cannot intervene on your behalf at all.

A good travel agent will get the rate adjusted for you. Sounds like you might be working with an online agency. I'm sure not all are like that, but if you had used a local travel agency, I'm sure they would have gotten it adjusted for you. That is part of what they do. Unfortunately, it sounds like you are working with someone who is not being upfront with you. Find an agent you can trust and deal with them. A good agent will always get the best value for your vacation dollar.

Thank you for the advice.

We're going to call tomorrow and try to cancel with the TA and book with Carnival. If there's a penalty, though, it might not be worth fighting for the $100. I'm having DH go through with this change- he's much more persuasive and stronger than I am (I'm a pushover.):o

The TA is a major credit card company. You can earn double points booking through them, and their rate was lower than Carnival's to start with (now the rate is the same) which is why I chose them in the first place.

I'm glad I found this board, though, or I wouldn't have known the TA was lying!

I got the rate change!!!:D

It involved calling them twice, letting it ring 20 or so times, and waiting on hold for 20 minutes, but I got the change!!!

I'm so proud of myself for being assertive and not letting my husband fight this battle for me. I overcame my pushover tendencies for once!:D Maybe there's hope for me, yet. :rolleyes:

And I requested the change in WRITING, as all you smart people always suggest. :D

The TA is a major credit card company. You can earn double points booking through them, and their rate was lower than Carnival's to start with (now the rate is the same) which is why I chose them in the first place.

Same here with the booking through them (assuming it is the same company). My TA has never called me back and I think it's b/c he was avoiding the "can I get a credit for the price drop?" VM I left him. Gonna keep trying to get hold of him and next time I'll use Carnival!

Congrats on getting the change!!! You've inspired me to call him and try again!

Congrats on getting the change!!! You've inspired me to call him and try again!

YAY! I don't want them getting a single extra penny. :) Assuming it is the same company, I just called the cancellation department directly. He happened to answer and put me on hold for 20 minutes. Came back and said it was fixed. I am still waiting for the itinerary to come through my email, as I requested the changes in writing.

I hope they're accomodating towards you as well. Will never book through them again, despite the double points that allowed us to book our hotel stay pre-cruise for free!

I deal with an online TA and she's awesome. So far for my next cruise ( on a different line) I've saved 1400 in reduced pricing. I've called her twice with reductions, just made my final payment and she told me that if it goes down anymore we can get onboard credit. So don't paint all the online agencies with the same brush, just be sure you hang tight when you find a good one ;)

Archived