First Time Cruising

dianepm

HI. My name is Diane and I'm gong on my first cruise in June 2008 on Carnival Freedom. I'm going doing the Medditerranean (sp?) and Greek Isles. My question is what do I need to know before I go? I've never been on a cruise before and just wondered if there was anything specific I need to pack or anything you can tell me.

Thank you!

HI. My name is Diane and I'm gong on my first cruise in June 2008 on Carnival Freedom. I'm going doing the Medditerranean (sp?) and Greek Isles. My question is what do I need to know before I go? I've never been on a cruise before and just wondered if there was anything specific I need to pack or anything you can tell me.

Thank you!

Hello dianepm !

1. Welcome to Cruise Critic ! :D

2. Welcome to Cruising !

3. You've come to the right place for researching your cruise !

4. I would recommend that you look over in the ports of call Forum...for starters.

5. Also, see if there is a Roll Call started for your sailing date..

You can meet folks who are sailing with you.

Let me know if you need help finding the locations for #4 or #5.

Welcome again !

Be ready to go with the flow, relax and have FUN! There are many things you can do to prepare for a cruise (getting opinions, reading reviews, getting tips from others), which takes time, but you have plenty of time to research. I just recommend for starters to start poking around online at your leisure and meeting people, looking at pictures, getting info and everything will fall into place. You will be surprised at how much help Cruise Critic will be. I wish I used CC before cruising.

I am sure Freedom will be a fantasic, beautiful ship. What a great way to start.

Welcome to the world of cruising! It's a whole new way of travel!

Take care,

Tracy

The first and foremost thing to do right now is for everybody that is cruising with you to get passports. They will be required by the time you cruise. Welcome to the world of cruising. More than likely, you'll be hooked like the rest of us are.

Nothing and I mean nothing can prepare you for your cruise better than visiting these boards often. Youve made an excellent first step in asking this question. CC members will guide you thru every question you might have. Also you will find that others will be asking questions that will help you too. It will also help pass the time before your cruise. Good luck and happy cruising.

Nothing and I mean nothing can prepare you for your cruise better than visiting these boards often. Youve made an excellent first step in asking this question. CC members will guide you thru every question you might have. Also you will find that others will be asking questions that will help you too. It will also help pass the time before your cruise. Good luck and happy cruising.

Thank you for all the info. I'm really hoping that the time will fly by but I doubt it.

I do come here often and I have found TONS of good info.

Thanks

but u r gioing to love it! #1 if you get to a Diamonds Int'nl store ( dont know about Med Cruise tho) you can get a "DI" free bracelet...2nd cruise perhaps..I ck cc boards 2x a day..just got home y'day, and packing foe Feb cruise. I have 18 now, but didnt cruise for 20 yrs, and got a whole new perspective.. #2..keep checking your cruise to see of price drops. I have 1 outta 3 cruises actually free w/OBC's...and $500 off for being over 55. also chk alternate sources web TA's of all kinds to see if price drops, then call your TA n tell them..I've gotten free gifts, 5 cat upgrades, robes and wine. It is a game of supply and demand in the cruise biz. I book on non holidays, spring break, Mon ones, etc..and dont do summer lest the price goes waaay down.If something displeases you after set sail..do not hesitate to go to guest relations.then it can be fixed..or an OBC will be offered. I even wrote a letter req'ing an singer of song on tv..they couldnt help me but I'll hv a free bottle of wine in Feb..that was nice tho not expected. Formost research the possiblities of ports, shopping, excursions, or dining ashore. go to websites of ports, or things to do on your own, rather than just cruise line inbfo..I've been to Europe 18 times also, and do as much as I can. you can pre shop online to determine prices of things in port, both aborad and localUSA..I dont buy well known perfume, as price for it isnt worth toting home..local artifacts, art goods, are a great buy..on last weeks PC cruise..Cuna Indian Molas were offered on board for an outragious price, and i was told they were not available in port . so I'd better get them b4 their table cleared at 3pm...we got to MRKET JUST OFF BOARD, and the first thing inside the door were molas..I got 3..local coffee mugs, at $2.50 ea. and coffe from local super mkt 2 sts. in from main drag in Costa Rica, for about $1.50 12 oz vs $6 for same at port entry mkt. so do research..make a little notebook for yourself to keep in pocket. Watch the Euro exchange to the US dollar..order and take your own so you wont get exchange shock on your plastic. If you belong to AAA low chg for this..or find a bank that will handle it. any q's email me ...theeangel at juno dot com( use reg format for email.).this way you dont get junk mail from addy scouters...have a fab time prepping and doing...judi

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Diane! :D

These boards have a ton of great info available that will answer all your questions. Type "packing list" into the search function and you will get dozens of threads. There is also a "first time cruisers" board that has lots of information on it.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

I'm preparing for my second cruise, wish I had found this site before my first. The following link was culled from posts for first time cruisers. It is in the First Timers section, but this will save you time looking and reading.

http://home.comcast.net/~dr.crash/HomePage.html

Thanks once again to Dr. C for taking the time to compile.

Archived