Helicopter/dog sled tour worth the $$$

Sue L

I put this on the Alaska board also, but I figured alot more people on here might be able to help

I am taking my family on the Alaska cruise in August. The one tour we all agree on in the helicopter tour with a visit to a dogsled camp. It sounds wonderful but it is 30 minutes flight time and 1 hour and the dogsled camp.

The problem is it is 490$ per person so this would cost me 2000$ for our family of four.( I could take another whole cruise for that)

I know it sounds like a once in a lifetime experience and since this is probably our last family vacation as the kids are on the verge of graduating college I would love to do it, but is it worth it?

Has anyone done the one where you actually drive the sled, DS thinks that sounds really cool. There are two versions of this tour one says take a ride and the other says you can ride or drive the sled.

Please, any help would be great!!!!!!

Sue

Both are good and a lot of fun. If you want to reduce costs, do the helicopter and do the dogs another time.

The view in the helicopter is second to none. You will see lots of wildlife, old mine shafts in middle of mountains and flight over glaciers is second to none.

Enjoy, you will soon forget the price after the experience. My wife thought I was nuts spending the money. Upon return, it was the highlight of the trip.

My wife and I took our three children two summers ago and it was fantastic.

My children (13, 15, 17) had a great time and yes, it's expensive but well worth it given the memories. We had great "guides" and they seemed to enjoy the process as much as my kids.

Enjoy.

My wife and I took our three children two summers ago and it was fantastic.

My children (13, 15, 17) had a great time and yes, it's expensive but well worth it given the memories. We had great "guides" and they seemed to enjoy the process as much as my kids.

Enjoy.

Did you do the one that you got to drive the sled? How long was the dogsled part?

Sue

We are family of four and did the helicopter/dog sled excursion - and it was the most worthwhile, memorable excursion we have ever done in all of our cruising. Plenty of time in the helicopter to catch breathtaking views and as you are approaching the camp it is amazing. While visiting the dog camp, we were able to see where the dogs board and we were able to hold some puppies. We had 2 family members on each sled with a guide driving each sled. Once we were farther along, the guide stopped the sled and showed us how to drive and we each got a chance to drive while she sat down in front of the sled. We had plently of time sledding and we stopped and took pictures. It was WONDERFUL! Please do this excursion - the cost is so worth it and you won't regret it.

I guess everyone doesn't see this the same way. I did it. It was fine. Worth the money? Only if you really have money to burn. I wouldn't do it again.

Be aware. I'm not a dog lover. That seems to be the thrill for a lot of people from what I've read. I don't hate dogs either. These dogs just aren't your friendly, happy to see you kind of dogs.

Also, I wore a hat and gloves in June since it was in the snow. It was in the 70s up there and the guides were wearing shorts and t-shirts. I was hot.

Since it was warm, the snow wasn't soft and fluffy meaning the sleds didn't go as fast. I was looking forward to the speed more than the dogs.

It was my first and last helicopter ride most likely. I didn't like being crammed into the back seat - my husband and I in the middle stuffed like sardines between 2 strangers...yes, 4 people in the back. This made viewing anything not so easy. I felt guilty just sticking my camera across in front of a stranger's face just to get a couple of quick pictures through the window.

It was actually canceled at our first port, where we had it scheduled, due to lack of visibility issues for the helicopters. I made some quick phone calls and had it rebooked at the next port.

I mean, I AM glad I did it because it's a once in a lifetime experience. I wouldn't do it again.

If your kids really want to do it, if you can afford it, if they are crazy about dogs, then do it. Especially for the reason you say - they are graduating college soon. We have 2 recently out of college and with real jobs across the country it's hard to get to see them especially at the same time.

Be aware that this is a commonly canceled excursion. That late in the season it might be canceled due to warm weather. Have an alternate plan in place.

And yes, we were all offered the opportunity to "drive".

Hi Sue,

I had the same question when I took my son and his family to Alaska......... is the price worth it? Yes! :D

On my first trip to Alaska, I did a glacier hike. I wanted to take my family on that one but the grandsons wanted the dogsled. Since I am known to indulge my boys, that's what we did and it was loads of fun.

The views from the helicopter are fantastic and informative. Throw in dogsledding and you'll have memories that make the price worth it.

My son handled one sled with older grandson riding with him that was tied to one guides sled. Younger grandson rode with another guide that had the sled my DIL and I were tied to. It goes faster than one thinks it might and it is bumpy but it's a great way to experience a different form of transportation.

Hope this helps you decide to do it.

It was a trip of a lifetime so my parents did it. They wanted to go to the north pole and do the dog sled. While in Alaska on the Princess cruise they did this excursion,also 490 pp and my dad said he wished he would have skipped it. The helicopter ride was short one and it was very cloudy so they got to see next to nothing. They were squashed like the other poster said also. This was in June. Also, the dog sled thing lasted much shorter than they expected and it was like a pony ride in a corral. NO BIG DEAL at all. Just another stop to make money off tourists. No way would i spend over 2000 for that. That is the price of taking all 4 on another cruise on value season. But to each his own!

For me the answer would be YES,YES,YES!! (of course,my husband would probably disagree)..anyway,it is the best excursion I have ever taken..............

I am a dog lover and loved the dogs and the pups we got to hold..............

While not a big fan of helicopters,it wasnt bad(to me,the floatplane trip was worst.UGH--never again)...........It was the 3 of us plus the pilot.......

We actually had a white out storm while we were dogsledding.......and yes, we took turns riding and driving......

We went early June and had no lack of snow!!Or cold weather!!

Oh yea, we did ours in Ketchikan.......

We are a family of four and did the Helicopter/Dogsledding tour July 4th 05. We went directly to Temsco Helicopters inc. Am I going to get into trouble for this info? Oh well, I guess they'll delete it if it's a nono!

Anyway, it was a blast (kids were 11& 12). Like I said we went direct. It was a year and a half ago but this is the information I kept (not sure if it's still good).

Contact was Mitch & Kim at Temsco-(877)789-9501 and it was $410pp. They picked us up at the Taku Smokeries (where they were picking everyone else up from the ship tours). We were picked up at 4:15 for a 5 pm flight. I seem to remember being told that it's foggier in the morning so visibility would be awful. And since we didn't want to miss the 4th. of July parade, we chose early evening. When we got to the heliport we were taken into a room (everyone else was taken into another room) where we were fitted with special glacier boots and told to put everything (exept cameras I think) into a locker. They then showed us a ten minute video and walked us out to our helicopter. It was just our family in the chopper (but I did see others (from the ship's tour) getting crammed into theirs.

I think we would definately do it again, and we would only do it privately. I hope this information helps and hopefully the phone numbers are still good and the prices haven't gone up too much. Happy travels -Travelbugs

Yes, it was a private Temsco tour where we were packed into the helicopter. Timing was tight so fortunately we didn't have to watch the video.

Had we gotten to hold some puppies, I might have had my heart melted rather than feel like I was melting from the heat. :) I'm a softy for baby anything...humans or animals. Had the big dogs been of the domesticated sort, I might have liked it more, too.

And as parrothead8 said, the float plane tour was not pleasant. I get motion sickness easily and due to the warm air there were pockets of warm air that bounced the plane so much that had I died it would have been a relief to what I was feeling. Now THAT tour was a waste of money for me. And I was responsible for scheduling the private tour for 4 of us. I'm glad our traveling companions didn't get sick.

I still think I'd rather spend the money on another cruise - unless money isn't an issue.

DH and I signed up for the dogsled/heli tour when we did this cruise. However, the cloud level was so low that the heli could not get the dogsled camp so it was just the ride and the glacier walk. FWIW, I would hate to see your group get their little hearts set on it and then have it cancelled due to weather.

I still think I'd rather spend the money on another cruise - unless money isn't an issue.

Unfortunately, with two kids in college, one of the them Ivy League, money is definitely not overflowing. LOL!

Thanks for all the opinions, I am not a huge animal fan, but my son loves them. We have quite a bit of time yet, who knows maybe we will win the lottery:D

And as parrothead8 said, the float plane tour was not pleasant. I get motion sickness easily and due to the warm air there were pockets of warm air that bounced the plane so much that had I died it would have been a relief to what I was feeling. Now THAT tour was a waste of money for me. And I was responsible for scheduling the private tour for 4 of us. I'm glad our traveling companions didn't get sick.

Not sure where you did your plane ride.....we did ours in Ketchikan........I felt so sick myself...........esp when the pilot banked sideways to see the goats on the mountain cliffs..............when we landed to walk around the wilderness a bit,I seriously did not want to get back in..........I would have preferred to stay there and live off the land.:p .........thats how bad I felt:( :( :( :( .....

As far as the bumpy part, the pilot said it is no worse than going over speed bumps in a pickup....like heck,at least,I am not going to fall 1,000 feet down........

Sue L,

In that case...let him take out a college loan and go anyway....NO, no, just kidding.

I think there are so many things to do that will come with many wonderful memories that you might want to plan something else. We did a hike in Alaska that was REALLY great. It was a small group, our tour guide was fun, we got a little work out since there was plenty of up hill walking before heading back down and at the end of the hike we did the float tour which was a nice relaxing way to end the hike. We also saw several bald eagles along the way.

At another port we did the glacier kayaking tour which was also great. It's fun to go kayaking with your family and although there were more people on this tour than on the hike, we didn't have to just hang out side by side. We had our privacy and our laughs and some nice arm work on top of it. Our guide was a nice young college guy from the Chikoot - definitely not how you spell it - tribe. But he was of real local descent and was back home for the summer and oh, so personable. I think an Ivy league student would love either of these tours...a college student from any school would love them.

You'll enjoy whatever you decide to do. It will be fun just being with your kids. Take that part all in because you never know when it will happen again.

Not sure where you did your plane ride.....we did ours in Ketchikan........I felt so sick myself...........esp when the pilot banked sideways to see the goats on the mountain cliffs..............when we landed to walk around the wilderness a bit,I seriously did not want to get back in..........I would have preferred to stay there and live off the land.:p .........thats how bad I felt:( :( :( :( .....

As far as the bumpy part, the pilot said it is no worse than going over speed bumps in a pickup....like heck,at least,I am not going to fall 1,000 feet down........

Yes! That's the place. Ketchikan. We were the last tour of the morning - of the day actually. They said they were going to cancel the rest due to the heat causing too much turbulance.

OH did I feel just like you when we landed to explore part way through the tour. I was prepared to be the ultimate survivor and stay there forever. I held my barf bag the entire way back with my eyes shut, leaning my head on the window. All I did was pray....that we get back fast or just crash and put me out of my misery.

And since I lean towards low carbing...as in no sugar, it was a surprise to my husband and traveling companions as to what I ordered when we went to lunch afterwards. All I got as a lemon meringue pie and a coke - not diet please. They said I was as white as a sheet but the sugar brought the color back into my face.

NEVER again. I'll hang out with the working dogs (dog sledding) before I ever do a float plane again.

Sue L,

At another port we did the glacier kayaking tour which was also great. It's fun to go kayaking with your family and although there were more people on this tour than on the hike, we didn't have to just hang out side by side. We had our privacy and our laughs and some nice arm work on top of it. Our guide was a nice young college guy from the Chikoot - definitely not how you spell it - tribe. But he was of real local descent and was back home for the summer and oh, so personable. I think an Ivy league student would love either of these tours...a college student from any school would love them.

We definitely have this on our list as a possible. Thanks for the info on it and I think both kids would like it and hubby and I love to kayak, we try to do it once every cruise.

Archived