birthday ideas

nolyd

My daughter will be turning six on our Carribean cruise this February (and feeling a little sad that she won't be home to celebrate with our extended family). Does any one have any suggestions on simple ways to make her birthday special?

On the cruise:

• simple bday decorations for the cabin - crepe paper, balloons and the like are lightweight and take up little room. If she is a heavy sleeper you can put them up while she is asleep and she'll wake up to them.
    If you are on a line that allows you to decorate your cabin door - be certain to do so!
  • Inquire ahead as to whether the kids program on your cruise allows a child to bring in treats (non-food to keep out of any import restrictions and/or food allergy concerns). Oriental Trading has some great little trinkets at low prices.
  • Let her plan the day - what excursion or what activities does SHE want to do?
  • Have someone hand paint a t-shirt with "birthday girl" - surprise her with it on her big day.
  • Be certain the wait staff and others at your table know it is her b-day.

After the cruise - pre-plan a get-together with the extended family. Combo B-day / look at our cruise pictures. Make certain to use a Tropical island theme.

I always decorate the door, makes it easy to find the cabin too, can make some cool magnetic signs

I have made big birthday signs on a plotter printer with a birthday sign and pics of the ship etc.

Always get a cake at dinner.

You can make transfers to iron on shirts for the birthday girl.

My DD is also turning 6 while on our cruise in April!

Onessa has some FABULOUS ideas. Here is what I had planned to do to make the day special for her:

I am cruising on Carnival, and am ordering a small birthday cake to be delivered to her at dinner on the night of her birthday. I told my TA when I booked the cruise that it is my DD's birthday on 4/27. She'll get "happy birthday" sung to her at dinner, which she'll enjoy.

I am going to bring decorations for the cabin (baloons, streamers, "Happy Birthday" banner, etc.), which I'm going to buy at 99 Cent store or Dollar Tree or something (small, flat, and inexpensive - LOL)

I am going to bring a SMALL birthday present of some kind for her to open on her birthday.

I am going to get her a Birthday Girl button, so she can wear it all day, so everyone will know it's her birthday and hopefully make her feel special.

I'm booking a small birthday party for her the weekend following our return, so she can celebrate with her friends, too, and probably have the extended family over for a barbeque or something as well - although my parents and my great aunt will be on board with us, so they'll get to celebrate her birthday with her on the day, which is pretty cool.:)

Have a great trip, and happy early birthday to your DD. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

My son turns 9 the day we sail on Caribbean Princess! :) The t-shirt idea is great! I might make him one that says "I may be 9 today, but this is my FIRST cruise!" Maybe I can download a pic of the ship!

I also plan on having chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our cabin, and I'm bringing balloons and tape to decorate! When we get on the ship, I'll inquire about a birthday celebration for all the birthday kids on board through the children's programming. I printed the Kids' Patters from an October 2006 cruise, and they did have a Birthday Party Celebration listed on the last sea day. We'll have to see what that's all about!

His grandparents (my parents) are also sailing with us, so I'm sure we'll have a great time no matter what. Maybe I can get the DJ to sing Happy Birthday to him at the Sail Away Party ... ! That would probably embarrass the heck out of him!:o

Happy cruising everyone!:D

My daughter will be turning six on our Carribean cruise this February (and feeling a little sad that she won't be home to celebrate with our extended family). Does any one have any suggestions on simple ways to make her birthday special?

Since her extended family won't be there on her special day, it would be nice if they all signed a card and maybe included a fun picture of themselves to wish her a happy birthday that you could give her as a surprise on her day. It could be the second best thing to seeing them in person. And, if you had a camcorder or digital camera that takes video, you could sneak a video clip of her extended family wishing her a happy b-day and then play it for her on her special day so she knows they're thinking about her.

We always cruise on my children's birthdays. We were on Disney for my oldest daughter's 5th birthday, we will be on Freedom of the Seas for my youngest's 3rd birthday (she turns 3 the day we arrive in Miami)

They love celebrating their birthdays on a cruise. The dining room staff makes a big deal out of it for them. We decorate the room and the door. I always order a big gift basket to be waiting for them in the cabin when we get on the ship.

I also plan a big family party to take place the weekend before we leave so they don't miss celebrating their birthdays with the family.

No worries, she will have a great birthday!

Nolyd, what cruiseline are you sailing with? You can preorder gifts that can be delivered to your Daughter. We had a couple of toys delivered to the cabin the day we set sail. I am sure you could have things delivered to her the day of her birthday. We go every year on my husbands birthday and have been on all cruise lines so I might have more ideas once I know which ship.

Kris

Archived