Instead of the power strip

flagger

Flagger, when you hook all this stuff up and turn it on, will the lights and hair dryers on the rest of the ship now be working at much less capacity because you are using all the available output of the onboard turbines?? Will there be enough electricity left for the chef to cook our meals? Oh, the thought of eating room temperature leftovers on formal night, while I have my Sunday go to meetin' clothes on..;)

I remember watching a show on the Discovery Channel about a test they did at one of the Vegas hotels just before opening. They flushed all of the toilets at the same time they had 10% of the showers going on different floors to be sure proper pressure and temperature was maintained. Hopefully X has done a similar stress test with all of the power outlets.

Hi Flagger,

On my first cruise on Galaxy, I had brought something similar to what you are talking about, but found that while it fit, it wouldn't work for another reason. The tension/weight of the plugs (particularly those power bricks many rechargers have) put enough leverage on the outlet that it was actually pulling loose from its mounting plate. It appeared the outlet was simply friction mounted into a base plate, and it was a bit loose even when I first got into the cabin. The plate into which the outlet was mounted was also thick enough that the outlet ended up away from the wall surface (not flush), so the leverage effect was more than it would be at home, where the adapter would end up flush against the wall.

The surge strip worked much better, and could be placed parallel to the wall as to not take up too much desk space.

Dave

Flagger, I'm sure the power you pull won't disturb the cook, but it could blow your own circuit breaker. Looking at your list of items, I would be particularly concerned about the heat generating ones - like the hair dryer, iron and heating coil - they can pull a lot of current. I've read on other posts that irons were a no-no on cruise ships anyway (fire risk). If that is accurate, then probably so are the water boiling coils.

There is hot water available 24 hours a day in the buffet restaurant area. If you need hot water for warming baby food or something, a thermos might be a safer if bulkier alternative.

If you are going to plug all that stuff in, you might want to at least keep a flashlight handy. :)

Don't bother with power cords. Take a 50 foot extension cord and a roll of duct tape (Home Depot - $19.99 and $0.99 respectively). Go into the hallway and plug into one of the recepticles the steward uses for vacuuming. The duct tape is for safety. Secure the cord along the wall so nobody trips on it. $5 to the steward and you're cooking.

Archived