Belize, Costa Maya, Gr. Cayman, or Cozumel

guntheros

We are wanting to snorkel for the first time. Where is the best snorkeling? Someone told us that Belize has the best snorkeling and just want to know what everyone else thinks. Any other advice on specific tours/excursion and companies that offer good snorkeling for beginners is a plus!!!

Nicole

Of the four you listed, we have found that Costa Maya is not the best choice. I would lean towards Cozumel and/or Grand Cayman. Have not been to Belize.

In Grand Cayman thier is very good snorkling at Eden Rocks and Devils Grotto. When you get off the tender and you are facing the city, turn right and walk about 100 yrds. On your right will be Eden Rock Dive Center. Here is their website: http://www.edenrockdive.com/. The cost for snorkel equipment is only $14 per person. If you have never snorkled before, you might not want to do this. Do an organized one first and practice in a pool first. Get comfortable swimming and breathing through a little tube!

Have fun,

Roger

I forgot, in Cozumel their is a marine park (when you are facing the city) to the right. Should take a taxi to this one. Here is their website: http://www.cozumelparks.com.mx/eng/parks-chankanaab.asp

This is a good one because there is a beach as well.

The reason I have recommended these places is because you can go out your on leisure. Their are no time constraints and if you just want to float around for a while you can.

If you are a good swimmer snorkeling should not be a problem. The toughest part is learning to breath while your face is under water.

What cruise are you guys on? We are doing this exact itinerary on the Valor in May.

Hope you have fun,

Roger

I husband snorkeled for the first time in Belize and just loved it. On the same cruise he snorkeled in Costa Maya which wasn't so good. The storm the previous week had turned up the sand so it was very cloudy.

I've done Belize and Cozumel. I'd recommend Belize over Cozumel. See some of the other's threads about where to go in Belize. I went to shark ray alley and we then snorkeled over to a reef there...some of the best snorkeling I've ever seen

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Carnival Miracle last year and went to those 4 ports. Now Miracle and Legend are switching.

I dove at all 4 ports and wife/friends dove at 3 of them. We also dove/snorkeled at other places. The best was Belize at Shark Rey Alley. There a good guide will bring shark and stingray up for you to pet. The other stop in Belize is the Ho Chan Marine reserve.

In Costa Maya, don't snorkel by the port. Go south to the fishing village of Mahuhual. The diving was good and snorkeling would have been good.

Cozumel is drift diving/snorkeling. Current runs to the north. I really enjoyed the diving there (and wife/friends really enjoyed the snorkeling) The 7 of us had a private charter and went to Columbia Deep (for me diving) and Columbus Shallow (for snorkeling). After a SI, went to Palancar Gardens. Those are the two tops spots in Cozumel. After hurricane Wilma, some of the near shore reefs were damaged. But taking a boat out you'll see lots.

Cayman is another top diving/snorkeling location in the world. Someone already mentioned Eden Rock. It is good, and free.

But no matter where you go, it's best to practice in the pool before the trip. That way you are not spending time trying to adjust the mask, and learning to clear snorkel in the vacation spots.

One other thing to consider. The starting port is Tampa. If you can fly in 2 days earlier, you can go stay at Crystal River (1.5 hr north). There you can do manatee snorkeling, lots of fun. We did that in the morning, then went to Rainbow River for afternoon drift snorkeling/diving. It was beautiful. The tours in Crystal River are very reasonably priced.

One other thing to consider. The starting port is Tampa. If you can fly in 2 days earlier, you can go stay at Crystal River (1.5 hr north). There you can do manatee snorkeling, lots of fun. We did that in the morning, then went to Rainbow River for afternoon drift snorkeling/diving. It was beautiful. The tours in Crystal River are very reasonably priced.

Archived