Setting up a tour...

vilwil

Is it possible to set up a tour when you arrive at Port Limon? If so are the rates reasonable? We have a large group traveling (34) and while some would like to zip line, others would like a city tour or a beach tour. Any suggestion is appreciated! Thank you !

Is it possible to set up a tour when you arrive at Port Limon? If so are the rates reasonable? We have a large group traveling (34) and while some would like to zip line, others would like a city tour or a beach tour. Any suggestion is appreciated! Thank you !

From memory, there were lots of tours being offered in Port Limon, but with a large group you'd probably be better pre-arranging something. We were a group of about 40 and had an excellent full day tour including ziplining and canals etc with Charlie Soto, he'll tailor the tour to whatever interests you, I think the cost was around $50 per person. You can see my own account at http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/joni97/costarica.html or our group pictures at http://www.nanada.com/panamaniacs/cruisepix.htm

Charlies' website is at http://www.nanada.com/tours/okeydokey.htm

Thank you for your quick responses- I appreciate them! I did reach out to Oscar Brown and he did respond right away with very good rates. My issue is that of the 34 traveling together only 6 may want to zip line- 6 may want to take the kids to the beach and I have 10 people over 65 who would enjoy the banana plantation but not the jungle tour. LOL :D talk about a diverse group! Any other recommendations on how I should proceed? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Looks like you have two choices. Arrange to join the ship tours or get a local tour guide who has many different tours available.

We were on the Zenith last month..............

We hired a private tour guide in Puerto Limon and had a Cruise Critic group of 11 people from the boards. Eduardo Humphrey was our personal guide and he also had a driver- both of them never left our side. We stopped at the local supermarket on our way back to the ship and they even accompanied us into the market to make certain everything was OK!

If you want to feel safe with a local guide who gives an excellent tour give him a try , he was great and very inexpensive - we paid $45pp for the all day tour. We did a Canal boat tour of Tortuguero (tour boat has a covered top), went to the Del Monte banana plantation and also visited the National Park of Cahuita, with its white sand beaches. He has other tours available too, we selected what our group wanted to so. You can go to his site and contact him via email to see what he can arrange for you.

We all wanted to do the same things so it was easy for us. Looks like you will have to split the group up into small groups to accommodate what everyone wants to do. You will find the tour rates less expensive with the private tours than with the ship tours. We always book the private tours and have never had a problem.

http://www.costaricaindigenoustours.com.

You can email me at cruiztime@yahoo.com if you have any other questions.

Good luck with your plans - it is always difficult to be the lead planner for these excursions but you will have a wonderful time.

One note - Puerto Limon was the ONLY port we have ever been too where the ship told us NOT to change our clocks to local time. They wanted us to stay on ship time which was later than Costa Rica time. We arranged for our tour to start at 9AM BUT that was 8AM Costa Rica time. It all worked out, the tour waited the additional hour for us to get off the ship!

Marion

Archived