never been to belize

cruisin73

would I be making a dumb move if we make belize a beach day and maybe some shopping?

We have a 6 year old son however we could leave him in the kids club if need be. Would I be missing out on something?

If we did make it a beach day is there one close in walking distance or short taxi ride?

ALso what about the shopping is it any good?

There are no beaches close to the port. You have to take a water taxi to a Caye or take an excursion that will take you out to a Caye. As far as shopping, there's a little at the port, not alot. These is a flea market of sorts with local crafts behind the port area. I liked the shopping there better. Can't get to a beach by walking or by taking a regular taxi.

I loved the local crafts available at the flea market area. Not much else. Its not like some of the other ports for shopping. I would recommend a wood carving or bowl. There are some beautiful wood carvings.

I'd plan on an excursion of some type in Belize and save the idea of walking to the beach and shopping at another port. Are you going to Costa Maya. That would be the perfect day for a beach/shopping day. If you want to do a beach, plan on either an excursion or water taxi. Snorkeling is supposed to be great! There are alot of fun excursions in Belize. If you only plan on an excursion in one port, this is the port I would do it at. If you just tender to the port and then go back to the ship, without having made any plans I think you will have missed an oppurtunity to visit an area with some very interesting activities available.

I agree with vmom: this is a port for taking an excursion - and there are a lot of good ones. We did the New River and Lamanai ruins excursion (through our ship) and it was excellent - a nice combination of speed boating up the river and seeing wildlife and great ruins. Other people seem to have enjoyed cave tubing and snorkel excursions.

I read a lot about this port before going on my first cruise (just came back 2 days ago). Everyone on cruisecritics said to stay in the compound if you want to shop.

If you want to go somewhere like a beach, book a tour (they said) so I booked the "Reefs and Rays" snorkeling tour on the Grand Princess for $89 and TOTALLY thought it was worth it.

For my other ports of call I pre-booked with local vendors, but for Belize I listened to the advice of those at cruisecritics.com.

Cozumel and Costa Maya have great beaches and are much more safe for you and your child to wander.

I read a lot about this port before going on my first cruise (just came back 2 days ago). Everyone on cruisecritics said to stay in the compound if you want to shop.

If you want to go somewhere like a beach, book a tour (they said) so I booked the "Reefs and Rays" snorkeling tour on the Grand Princess for $89 and TOTALLY thought it was worth it.

For my other ports of call I pre-booked with local vendors, but for Belize I listened to the advice of those at cruisecritics.com.

Cozumel and Costa Maya have great beaches and are much more safe for you and your child to wander.

Coltahonas- can you tell me more about this excursion you took? How long was the boat ride? Was it a rough ride? What did you see? Thanks!

Belize is definitely a place to do an excursion. There is very little shopping only around the port area.

According to the US state department website, it is not recommended for tourists to venture to away from the port area. Like any place in the world be aware of your surroundings and don't make yourself a target and all will be ok.

There are more enjoyable places to have a beach day than Belize.

My wife and I will be in Belize 2/22/07 while on the Norwegian Sun, and we have booked a tour to see the Mayan ruins at XUTANMICH (spelling is wrong sorry).

The Belizean people are friendly, and I cannot wait to eat chicken, with rice and plantains again...

Hi Amy. Glad to give you more info... for Belize, we booked the "New Waves Rays and Reef" snorkeling tour through the Grand Princess cruise ship because everyone at cruisecritics.com said this was not a port to got out on your own. Apparently you're only safe if you stay in the compound, but who wants to be in a compound? Not me!

FYI: I know from cruisecritics.com that "Coral Breeze" is a local company that offers a similar tour, but I didn't find that much of a price difference (only $20 difference per person), so I booked with the ship.

The ship's tour was $89 per person and I found it worth every penny! They took you out on a 65 foot catamaran and provided two snorkeling sites, plus it was a guided tour so you could always get help if you felt tired in the water (men in kayaks followed you). The masks, fins and lifejackets were included in the price. At the end they handed out good tasting rum punch. It didn't taste very strong, but boy, after two glasses of those we were loaded!

Oh! Before I forget, this excursion picked us up right off the cruiseship. The 65 foot catamaran came up beside the gangway and off we walked to begin our snorkeling tour (very efficient!). The second site was at Sting Ray Village near Caye Caulker. It is located in a shallow part of the ocean (8ft deep) and the sting rays were everywhere! I never felt uncomfortable… these stingrays are used to people dropping by every day. Much better than any captivity excursion (like in the Caymans) if you ask me and a lot less crowded.

I know I already said this but... I got to swim in the ocean with stingrays!!!! It was sooooo cool!! I just developed my photos today from the underwater camera I bought ahead of time at Walmart -- nice to have proof I really was that close to them!

The catamaran had two stops, so each time the catamaran got in gear was about 25 minutes worth of travel... perhaps an hour worth of boating in total? Just guessing because the scenery was captivating.

Amy, I REALLY researched this excursion ahead of time (I even called the company -- the guy's e-mail address is: gadjet90@yahoo.com and his name is Graciliano Rivero because I didn't want to be caught on some small boat in choppy water!)

I saw tons of fish and stingrays. LOTS!

Archived