Norwegian Pearl - Help w/ cabin selection

BigGVa

Pretty much a rookie, only done one other cruise and would appreciate the advice of others. We are going on the Pearl this summer to Alaska (July1-8). Trying to understand a few things:

1) Is there any difference in staterooms with balconies between BA, BB and BC other than location? To that end, is there going to be any difference between being on Deck 9 (BC and BB category rooms) versus Deck 10? Is there going to be any difference between mid shift and more aft situated rooms?

2) Any thoughts on whether it is worth the additional costs to go up to a Cat. AF Mini Suite? There will be three of us in the room (my wife, 14 year old daugher and I). I've read a criticism of NCL ships is that the rooms tend to be small. The Cat BA (BB and BC) type rooms are 167 sq. ft.w/ 38 sg. ft. balconies whereas the mini-suites are 218 sq. ft. with 54 sp ft balconies. I've looked in a number of web sites for photos and found a few but they were really dispositive in helping us make this decision. The mini suite will be almost a thousand dollars more for the week.

Thanks

Geo.

Hi There - I'm hoping you get a few more responses because I am trying to make our final decision today. It's only DH and I but we really would like to have a roomy balcony cabin and based on what you just said the mini-suite seems to be about the size of the balcony standard room we had on Carnival this last time. That's a bit disappointing since the difference in price for us between an inside cabin to the mini suite is $2000 for the week! :confused:

Pretty much a rookie, only done one other cruise and would appreciate the advice of others. We are going on the Pearl this summer to Alaska (July1-8). Trying to understand a few things:

1) Is there any difference in staterooms with balconies between BA, BB and BC other than location? To that end, is there going to be any difference between being on Deck 9 (BC and BB category rooms) versus Deck 10? Is there going to be any difference between mid shift and more aft situated rooms?

2) Any thoughts on whether it is worth the additional costs to go up to a Cat. AF Mini Suite? There will be three of us in the room (my wife, 14 year old daugher and I). I've read a criticism of NCL ships is that the rooms tend to be small. The Cat BA (BB and BC) type rooms are 167 sq. ft.w/ 38 sg. ft. balconies whereas the mini-suites are 218 sq. ft. with 54 sp ft balconies. I've looked in a number of web sites for photos and found a few but they were really dispositive in helping us make this decision. The mini suite will be almost a thousand dollars more for the week.

Thanks

Geo.

I haven't been on the Pearl but I'll offer some ideas. As far as deck 9 and 10, look at the deck plans and see what's above you. It can make a difference in terms of noise. Under pool and buffet areas can be a little loud. In a mini-suite you usually have access to the ship concierge who can make dinner reservations and will give you VIP tender tickets when needed. It's not a huge perk, but it could come in handy. At a thousand dollars more for the week, I'm not sure it would be worth it to me. But you know more about what kind of space you all will need. Have you looked at:

http://cruisedeckplans.com/

It can give you a better idea about decks and room details. :)

We have been in both a mini suite and a balcony on the Star. It is very similar to the Pearl which will be be on in 3 weeks. The nice thing about the mini suite is the curtain that separates the bed from the pull out couch into a bed. That gives you a little privacy between you and your daughter. The room is a little larger and the bathroom has a full size bathtub that the balcony's cabins do not, they only have a shower.

For comfort and the least amount of ship action, the center of the ship is best. Now we love that action and always try and get the most forward cabins on the ship. :)

Thanks

Geo.

Yes, you're correct in thinking that the only difference in the balcony cabins (BA, BB etc) is the location.

In the balcony cabins (which do sleep 3, sometimes 4 on the Pearl), there is very little floor space when the sofa bed is folded out. You also have to then climb over it to reach the balcony.

Yes, the mini-suite is bigger but it depends on how much time you think you'll be in the cabin and how much space you feel comfortable with to decide if $1000 is worth it to you.

It might be worth pricing a few excursions in Alaska - $1000 could come in handy for that? For excursions, take a look at the Ports of Call board for Alaska http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55 it was SO helpful for our trip in 2005 (that long ago :confused: :eek:).

Whatever you decide on have a great time in Alaska on the great Pearl :)

Alaska is typically one of the few times you spend a little more time in your room looking out on the balcony for wildlife. I would personally book the AF and take one on the aft (very back of the ship) for the few 180 view. Three people is tight in an NCL cabin and you will like the extra space. If you are booking tday then you'll get the onboard credit they are offering which is also a little more for the mini suite too. Good Luck and Happy Travels... we'll be on the NCL Pearl May 13th to Alaska sailing and can't wait... our fourth time back to Alaska!

Archived