Green Card/US Citizen?

Annefran

Hi All, This is a silly question I'm sure but I have to ask it anyway. I'm cruising next week (15 Jan) with my 14 yr old daughter and her friend. Her friend was born in Australia, is of Asian decent and has been in this country since 2001. She has a "green card" that doesn't expire until 2011.

I started to fill out the online check-in and got stumped. Is she considered a US Citizen with the Green Card? If not, what do I put? Need immediate help from anyone online. Thanks!

Hi All, This is a silly question I'm sure but I have to ask it anyway. I'm cruising next week (15 Jan) with my 14 yr old daughter and her friend. Her friend was born in Australia, is of Asian decent and has been in this country since 2001. She has a "green card" that doesn't expire until 2011.

I started to fill out the online check-in and got stumped. Is she considered a US Citizen with the Green Card? If not, what do I put? Need immediate help from anyone online. Thanks!

Negative, a green card (Lawfully admitted permanent resident) is just a permit to reside and work in the US legally. That individual will still need to use her passport from the country she is a citizen. Also, keep in mind that although you as a US citizen may not need a visa for the countries you will be visiting, she on the other hand may.

I checked with Royal Caribbean and they said as long as I have the notarized minor consent form and she has a student ID, we should be OK.

She doesn't have a up to date passport and cannot get one for this trip. Maybe I should just put her down as a US citizen? I probably couldn't get her a VISA this late or even know how to go about it?

Bad idea. When re-entering the US, if she where to be questioned by CBP officials (they do have a copy of the passenger's manifest) and they find out that she is not a US citizen, she could be charge with false claim to US citizenship and removed permanently from the US. I also forgot, that when encountered with a false claim to US citizenship at a port of entry, the entry will be denied, and the Subject will not have a right to a court hearing.

http://www.visalaw.com/98may/28may98.html

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/legally_admitted_to_the_u_s.xml

Make sure she has her 551 card with her while on port. If something were to happen and you have to fly back to the US, this will probably facilitate boarding the plane. Airlines will refuse to board anyone flying back to the US without proper immigration documentation because if a passenger is denied entry into the US, the Airline has to pay for the return of that passenger to the country of origin.

So if I have her 551 card (green card) and birth certificate I should be ok? Sorry so many questions.....I just want to make sure I have the proper IDs for her.

And the notarized letter stating that she can travel with you, yes. I say yes for US Immigration entry purposes. I do not know about the Islands in the Caribbean.

No need to apologize for asking questions. That is the purpose of this board. If you cannot fill out the online immigration form for the Aussie, most probably can get is done at the pier. Sorry, I am not familiar with the cruise line you are using.

And the notarized letter stating that she can travel with you, yes. I say yes for US Immigration entry purposes. I do not know about the Islands in the Caribbean.

No need to apologize for asking questions. That is the purpose of this board. If you cannot fill out the online immigration form for the Aussie, most probably can get is done at the pier. Sorry, I am not familiar with the cruise line you are using.

Thanks for all your help, it was truly appreciated. I actually called Royal Caribbean and they told me as long as she has her birth certificate and green card, she will be fine. I feel so much better. Have a good week!

Thanks for all your help, it was truly appreciated. I actually called Royal Caribbean and they told me as long as she has her birth certificate and green card, she will be fine. I feel so much better. Have a good week!

Cool, enjoy your cruise.

Archived