Passports NOT needed

After talking with my travel agent today, he informed me that passports are not needed until 2008. After I ran around like a fool and my husband just went today to apply, we don't need them after all. To be safe, I called Royal Caribbean and the agent told me that they are NOT needed but are recommended in case of an emergency.

Can't wait till 3/11...

True they are not officially needed for the cruise but if you had to fly back from one of your ports because of injury or a problem back home then you will need them.

You are smart to be getting them. We just got my kids and it took 4 weeks from filing to arriving at our house.

Sue

The fact is that you DO NOT need a passport to fly OUT of the US -- but, you WILL need one to fly BACK INTO the US. So - if you have to fly home from a port outside of the US, you will require a passport to do so. So - be prepared for the "just in case" and get your passport now.

You will most likely need a passport to cruise in 2008 -- I say "most likely" because the rule keeps changing -- so who really knows!

You definitely do need a passport if you would need to fly (due to emergency, etc).

You definitely DON't need a passport if you are legally (on a cruise) out of the country and need to fly back because of an emergency. You will have to contact the Dept of State and jump through a couple of hoops, but they are painless and not time consuming. They have an entire department that deals with things like that - for emergencies...

If you are a US citizen you will not be abandoned to live your life in the Cayman Islands if you have to fly home for an emergency, or miss the ship, not that I personally would mind being a permanent prisoner in the Cayman Islands ;)

I highly recommend a passport, have always had one, but don't let the "you will not be able to get home" people influence you one way or another.

After talking with my travel agent today, he informed me that passports are not needed until 2008. After I ran around like a fool and my husband just went today to apply, we don't need them after all. To be safe, I called Royal Caribbean and the agent told me that they are NOT needed but are recommended in case of an emergency.

Can't wait till 3/11...

I was one of those adamant about not getting passports until I had to have them....but after reading some of the traveling horror stories I finally changed my mind. If I ever was stuck in a foreign country and my kids or I were in need of medical help I would never forgive myself if something happened. I finally took the pictures and paperwork on Saturday, it was almost three hundred dollars for the three of us but I am glad it is over with.

Here is the specific language from the Dept of State:

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would ever leave the country and not want to have a passport with them. Especially when all the price has done has been to go up and you know that you will eventually need them. While the upfront fee's seem cost prohibitive, the yearly cost over the life of the passport is minimal.

Here is the specific language from the Dept of State:

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

I do not know why ANYONE would want to test how "easy" it would be to get home without a pasport. It is bad advice to tell people they don't have to get one. Emergencies can and do happen more frequently than you can imagine - everyone should have one in case they are outside the U.S. on a ship and have to fly home for an emergency or even miss the ship when it leaves port and have to get to the next port. THAT is a more likely scenario than having to fly home.

Archived