Which Charter do I take!

CruisingCatherine

I have been doing my research on St. Thomas. So far the most appealing excursion for me is the all day sails offered on charter yachts (sailboats?) , not sure what they are called.

The three leading companies seem to be:

Winifred

Rumbaba

Jolly Mon

Can anyone tell me what makes one better than the other. The pros and cons. If you have done more than one of them I would love to hear which one you liked better and why.

Definately RUMBABA CHARTERS. We sailed with them last cruise - absolutely spectacular from start to finish. Our teen girls even loved it and they are very difficult to impress. The sights and snorkeling are amazing and the food is wonderful. Homemade banana bread, etc. for breakfast, shrimp, filet mignon and delicious fish prepared as you like for lunch. I did tons of research and decided on them and we were thrilled. I'm very picky about our excursions and want to make sure we are getting the most for our money - Rumbaba does a fantastic job. Only six on the boat - they tailor the trip to exactly what you like to do - more sailing, fine - more snorkeling, fine too! I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Greetings!

The daysails look awesome. Just a couple questions. There will be just two of us. Will the charter be able to fill us in, or do I have to bring 6 people? One of us has arthritis in the knees and shoulder. Is it difficult to get back in the boat from the water?

Thanks

Greetings!

The daysails look awesome. Just a couple questions. There will be just two of us. Will the charter be able to fill us in, or do I have to bring 6 people? One of us has arthritis in the knees and shoulder. Is it difficult to get back in the boat from the water?

Thanks

Bogelbtk---You sound just like me. lots of research. I have a few questions about the tour. Do you have a e-mail for Rumbaba tour? How much did it cost you ,we have teenage boys, there would be four of us? What time is this tour and for how long? Do they provide the snorkeling stuff? Tell me more about the food--banana bread--that sounds good, what else do they serve for lunch--any side dishes? We don't drink, so are sodas provided? How was the snorkeling, did you see lots of fish? Sorry SO many questions, we leave in June and I'm trying to get everything organized, thanks for any help you can give me. kmbb

Herrbeir -

I think they will reserve space for you and fill in 4 more if they can. But, they told us if only 2 reserve space, they sail with 2. They are more than glad to help you get back on the boat. Do you snorkel? We've snorkeled a lot of places and the sites where they took us were great. It's an extremely relaxing day - sail as much as you like, stop and snorkel as long as you like. Spectacular food. You won't regret this tour. The owners are very easy-going, like old friends.

Tom e Boy-

My husband is 6' 250 lbs. and size is sometimes an issue. No problems with Rumbaba. He really like stretching out on top the the boat, relaxing in the breeze as we sailed. They only take maximum of 6 passengers, so no cramped excursion with 30 people lined up side by side. We had a fabulous day. Do you snorkel - they stay as long as you like. We like to take our time and just float along and watch the fish without 20 people surrounding us. Private snorkel sites were great!

We were on the Winifred a couple of years ago and had a great time. This November my sister booked and she wanted Highpockets. We had an absolutely wonderful day with the best snorkeling we have ever done. Kathleen from Highpockets is a wonderful hostess, very accomodating and interesting to talk to. Soda, beer, drinks, rum punch, ice tea, etc., are available. Her lunch was excellent. We will be booking Highpockets again!

I am sure that all of the daysails are good. I am sure that you'll have a good experience with the one you choose. :)

Bogelbtk,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, the Mrs. and I love to snorkel and sail. Rumbaba's is on our shortlist. It sounds like the perfect way to spend a day. I was also interested in the difficulty climbing back aboard. Mrs. Herrbeir has two bum knees and shoulder and climbing out of a pool with a three rung ladder is difficult (but do-able). If it's much more difficult than that that we may sadly take a pass. We can swim and snorkel without restriction! I'm also a big guy, I won't let that stop me!

If you can climb up a pool ladder - this will be no problem. The owner will be glad to help. The snorkel sites are sheltered, so no rough surf to battle as you climb. Two snorkel stops equal two trips up the ladder - definately worth the effort! No matter who you go with, the sailboats have ladders. I'm sure Rumbaba will not dissappoint!

Bogelbtk,

Thank you for your encouraging posts. We certainly won't let a few rungs get between us and an excellant excursion.

With all due respect to our original poster, CruisingCatherine. I have developed the following shortlist:

http://www.alauntcharters.com/

http://www.rumbabacharters.com/index.htm

http://www.sailwinifred.com/

http://www.jollymonstthomas.com/

Good luck with your hunt!

bogle: thanks, this is my 1st time in STT, would it be wise to see the island or sail, i know, its whatever i like, but we love both land and sea.. yep, vetran snorklers. Im just torn between seeing the sites from land and visiting Paridise point and meagans and saphire beaches, or a dail sail

Rumbaba was $115 per person and did not include any gratuity. Worth every penny!!!

Tom e boy -

What time are you in port? Are you talking about the Paradise Point that has the tram to the top - if so, you won't have to miss it. At the top, there is a great view of the bay and the ship, but there is not much to do at the top but eat and drink and it is rather expensive. My solution(this is what we have done) - have the person that drives you from the ship to meet Rumbaba drive you up the road that leads to Paradise Point. Near the top is a large place to park and turn around and you can get beautiful pictures of the ship in port. I will say, Megan's Bay is beautiful to look at, but unless you are fortunate to be the only ship in port - it's extremely crowded-people side by side and no good snorkeling there.

We faced the same dilema in Barbados - snorkel charter or island tour, we chose a charter and had a great time. I'm just the kind of person that wants to see as much as possible. I'm always wandering what great "island sights" I'm missing.

Did cpt'n Max in Dec. 2005 and are planning again in Nov.2007. Had a grand time. Did two snorkel sites and had a Greek style lunch. Lunch was smaller than planned for another day sail tour broke down and we took thier pass. (2) along. Still ate good.

Paul

Rumbaba Tom e boy -

What time are you in port? Are you talking about the Paradise Point that has the tram to the top - if so, you won't have to miss it. At the top, "island sights" I'm missing.

Bogle: thats what ill do, have the cab take us up to paridise point for the view and do the day sail. we booked a car to do our own thing, but the day sail still sounds better

Hi Everyone-

We are planning on doing an excursion on St Thomas that my siblings have done many times and was wondering if anyone wanted to join us.....it is a very private tour and it goes out of Red Hook. Drinks, Appetizers, a full lunch and 2 snorkel trips to St John's. The price is $110. cash on the full day or $80 for the half day. I would like the full day if anyone is interested, but would sacrifice to go on the half day if that would work for someone else. If you want the full details, here they are:

We have full day sails for $110 per person cash ($115 with credit card payment), or 1/2 (4 hour0 day sails for $80 cash/$85 credit card per person. Please note that our 1/2 day sails are a minimum of 4 people, and at this time we don't have other inquiries for your date. (Maybe you could post the info on your roll call board on CruiseCritic to see if 2 others might want to snorkel that day?). I'm going to send you details on both offerings.

The full day is from 9AM-330PM, which leaves you plenty of time to get back to your ship after your tour. It includes the sail to St John, which makes 2 snorkel stops at beautiful beaches which have crystal clear waters. A full lunch, with pre-lunch appetizer and food selected from 6 entrees, is included. We provide an afternoon snack, lots of bottled water and drinks (sodas, ice cold beer, Rum Punch), and complimentary champagne.

The 1/2 day sail/snorkel tour includes same beverages (all unlimited and plentiful), and a lunch snack, which is lots to eat. You make 1 snorkel stop on the 1/2 day.

Our boats have a swim platform on the back, and an easy access swim ladder which makes it easy to get in/out of the water. There's a fresh water shower for rinsing off the salt water, and a bathroom below.

Either choice is a fun day on the water. You can relax in the shaded cockpit, or sit on the side and hang your feet in the water, enjoying the magnificent views.

Let me know if you decide to go with us- we do ask for a credit card guarantee to protect against "no shows", but we don't run the card through. We shred all credit card info after your sail. You can hold your reservations with a credit card, then take advanatage of the cash discount on the day of your sail.

Please email me any questions.

Thanks again; we truly appreciate your business!

Jan Van Rooyen

http://www.interlinesail.com

340-690-8228 or 704-497-7925 Carolina Base

I know that anyone who would want to do a tour like this would not be dissappointed at all. They are extremely accommodating, friendly people and have heard nothing but HUGE raves about their wonderful hospitality! Any interest please contact me@mpduquaine@hotmail.com or Jan at Interlinesail

Thanks

I've found room with Alaunt, Captain Max's and Interline. Any trip details someone wants to share about the above would help me make my decision. We want to try some 'hand's on' sailing while seeing some of St. John's beautiful beaches and snorkeling in fish-filled waters. I'd also like a Captain/ crew that would be enjoyable for six hours! We are veteran snorkelers and nature lovers, so a knowledgable crew is appreciated. :)

I think I would definitely go with Interline. My sister and several friends have gone with them on several occasions and we are finally going with them on MArch 27th. They will take us to 2 snorkel spots at St john's have drinks on board, (water, beer, soda and Rum Punch) Appetizers and Lunch. They are extremely accommodating and very friendly. They will work with your schedule and make great suggestions on which are the best snorkel spots to visit. They will put the sails up and off you will go to the magic and wonder of teh sea. i am sure they willnot disappoint you.. Talk to Jan or Omar. I have posted their emails previously, if you need them I will post again. have a great time who ever you choose.

Ding, ding, ding....We have a winner! Booked the Rumbaba for March. I emailed Capt. Bobby, he promptly replied and we completed the reservation with a phone call (I'm cheap, I called on my cell phone and St Thomas is part of my nationwide plan). Honestly, I think all the charters looked good and each will deliver a great sail. I think it's a good day to get off island. 6 cruise ships will be docked that day.

• 2 weeks later...
Bogelbtk,

Thank you for your encouraging posts. We certainly won't let a few rungs get between us and an excellant excursion.

With all due respect to our original poster, CruisingCatherine. I have developed the following shortlist:

http://www.alauntcharters.com/

http://www.rumbabacharters.com/index.htm

http://www.sailwinifred.com/

http://www.jollymonstthomas.com/

Good luck with your hunt!

I would like to thank you for your list. We sailed on the Alaunt last week(1/30) and it was the highlight of our trip. From start to finish it was a day to remember. Capt. Ron and Carol made us feel right at home and treated us royally. I cannot wait to get back there one day and would recommend this trip to anyone!

Archived