Rules for Kids on Cruise

Good start on the rules so far. The only thing I found odd on my last cruise was how many teenagers (particularly girls) were gallavanting around the ship with the opposite sex wearing nothing but their bikinis. I'm not just talking about on the lido deck and through the lido restaurants, but ALL OVER the ship. Somehow it seemed strangely inappropriate for them to be dressed like this in places where everyone else was clothed. Just a heads-up; never know what "gangs" you may run into. Oh, well--to each his own. Have a good cruise! :D

Why would you find that odd? There are all of those hormones with nowhere to go. In the animal kingdom it is known as MATING RITUALS, where the males and females strut their stuff. Out on Long Island there is a stretch of sand known as "Asparagus Beach" for the fact that it is nothing but singles standing up and posing in hopes of catching the eye of another firm stalk.

BnB

1) Never, ever go into any cabins but approved ones (family or friends)

2) Do NOT forget your curfew! Yes, you do have one!

3) always remember that you will never know when I may walk up on you, so if you are doing anything that would be inappropriate in the way you have been raised, KNOW that I will call you on it RIGHT THEN AND THERE! None of this "wait until I get you home" stuff. My children (34 & 31) still remember their 1 time experience of this happening to them. :) They can laugh about it now, but did not think it was funny getting toungue-lashed in front of their friends. And I mean a serious, non-screaming "momma voice" this-will-not-happen-again talk. They would have rather had me make them walk on hot coals with their bare feet in private than to have their friends see "the wrath of momma!" :) btw...I wonder why I was always the stronghold in our family, and dad never had to do it? :)

Soon2bcruising,

Let me just say that you guys are awesome. I wish there were more parents out there that were as responsible as you seem to be. If all parents set rules for their kids while cruising, people like myself wouldn't mind cruising with a lot of kids, but sadly, there are a lot of parents out there that don't care and let their kids run around like animals and annoy people and ruin other people's relaxing vacations. My parents were like that, and I grew up to be a polite, well mannered adult. Keep up the good work and let you be an example for all of the other parents out there.

Thanks.

Holly B.

Why would you find that odd? There are all of those hormones with nowhere to go. In the animal kingdom it is known as MATING RITUALS, where the males and females strut their stuff. Out on Long Island there is a stretch of sand known as "Asparagus Beach" for the fact that it is nothing but singles standing up and posing in hopes of catching the eye of another firm stalk.

BnB

Okay, BnB--Asparagus Beach sounds great for some. I guess that's somewhere I won't be going--I'll choose cruisin' instead. I've no desire for the ship to turn into Asparagus Beach. But, like I said, to each his own. I, personally, would not want my kids participating in "mating rituals" at 13, 14, or 15 years old.... Just my take. ;)

If I were instructing my son when he was younger (he's now 24) it would go something like this:

"Son, I love you very much and I'm sure you love me. I only expect you to act the same way on the ship as you would at home, but perchance you should cause me any unhappiness on this cruise, I'll disown you, disinherit you, and the next time you take a cruise it'll be whenever the ORPHANAGE takes a very extravagant field trip" :D

just kidding !

...some of them find beer bottles that still have beer or drinks that still have booze in them and they drink it!:eek:

You think I'm kidding???:D

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I feel sick after reading this!

Remind them of rules they may not be aware of such as people usually stay to the right in hallways, on stairs, etc... (just like at school, if schools still do this.)

WAIT for the people to get off the elevator before getting on.

Don't take the Do Not Disturb signs or Room Service orders off the door knobs.

No throwing items off the side of the ship to see how long it takes to hit the water.

HTH!

Okay, BnB--Asparagus Beach sounds great for some. I guess that's somewhere I won't be going--I'll choose cruisin' instead. I've no desire for the ship to turn into Asparagus Beach. But, like I said, to each his own. I, personally, would not want my kids participating in "mating rituals" at 13, 14, or 15 years old.... Just my take. ;)

I hate to disillusion you, but for most kids, the hormones have started kicking in by those ages and the 'mating rituals' have begun. It's nature..it's natural. Whether your 13 year old son gets to touch a girl by being 'obnoxious' and pushing her a little, or messing up her hair...or finding any way possible to get his hands on her...it is all part of the beginnings of the ritual. I'm sure they won't be 'mating' at those ages (HEAVEN FORBID!!!!!!!) but, the 'practice' sessions have begun...and usually the girls start earlier..so the minute they change body shape and realize that they suddenly have this 'power' over a boy (because a girl in a bikini will always turn a boy into a mindless mush :D ) don't kid yourself....it starts VERY young. This is why parents like everyone who posted above have rules for their kids. There's a lot of stuff going on in their little bodies/minds and it makes them all insane and very unstable..as parents we have to provide the stability!!!!

that's my take.

and glrounds...if you read my earlier post here, you'll see that we think similarly!!! I like your strategy, it has always worked well for me!!!

The main problem that I encounter with kids and cruising are that some parent's forget about supervising their kids while aboard the ship and they just let them run wild. On one cruise I was not happy with adults who purchased alcohol for my 16 yr. old son, I was less happy with my son for drinking the alcohol. If you are already telling the kids that you expect them to behave there should not be a problem. When we were on the Pride a friend of mine commented that he noticed a lot of middle school age kids stealing alcoholic drinks from adults who where in the pool. There was also a couple of kids that thought it was funny to set off the fire alarm. This is not a funny thing to do while cruising. I'm sure when the firemen got to the location they did not find it funny either. It sounds like you are going to supervise your kids and everything should go well.

In my daughter's case, it would be: Keep your voice down. She has a very loud voice, and I know it can be distracting. This will be our first cruise with kids (8 and 10), and we plan to keep a very close eye on them when they are not checked into Camp Carnival. I love kids, but those who are left to "run" the ship unsupervised really pi--es me off. They are loud, rude, and destructive and Carnival should really do something about the problem. I am really looking forward to sharing the time with the kids and hope they show that they have been taught manners. Even if they don't seem to have sunk in all the time.

Happy Sailing!

Beth

They are loud, rude, and destructive and Carnival should really do something about the problem.

On my last cruise "they" emptied out every single salt and pepper shaker onto the tables in the Lido restaurant. You wonder what pleasure they get out of this.

On my last cruise "they" emptied out every single salt and pepper shaker onto the tables in the Lido restaurant. You wonder what pleasure they get out of this.

I understand the pleasure they get out of it, They are kids and to a kid those kinds of pranks are a scream.

Its up to the parents though to teach these kids that that is unacceptable behavior and they will be punished if they partake in it.

You can't blame a kid for loosening the top off a ketchup bottle so when you shake it up to put some on a burger it goes flying.

You balme the parent who didn't teach the child better and the parent who just thinks its just as cute and dismisses it

:rolleyes:

I hate to disillusion you, but for most kids, the hormones have started kicking in by those ages and the 'mating rituals' have begun. It's nature..it's natural. Whether your 13 year old son gets to touch a girl by being 'obnoxious' and pushing her a little, or messing up her hair...or finding any way possible to get his hands on her...it is all part of the beginnings of the ritual. I'm sure they won't be 'mating' at those ages (HEAVEN FORBID!!!!!!!) but, the 'practice' sessions have begun...and usually the girls start earlier..so the minute they change body shape and realize that they suddenly have this 'power' over a boy (because a girl in a bikini will always turn a boy into a mindless mush :D ) don't kid yourself....it starts VERY young. This is why parents like everyone who posted above have rules for their kids. There's a lot of stuff going on in their little bodies/minds and it makes them all insane and very unstable..as parents we have to provide the stability!!!!

that's my take.

and glrounds...if you read my earlier post here, you'll see that we think similarly!!! I like your strategy, it has always worked well for me!!!

Ok, had to jump in here. In reading artsytart's original reply, the problem is not the teenagers wearing the bikinis, but WHERE they are being worn. As parents and knowing they have these raging hormones, I agree with you, halos, that we parents have to be the stabilizing factors; and sometimes that means keeping a check on those laws of nature. I might let my daughter wear a bikini to the public pool, but she would not be allowed to wear said bikini to the mall, for instance. The simple guideline I always give my kids on a cruise is, "Respect yourself enough to wear a cover-up when not on pool deck!"

My kids are now 20 (or will be tomorrow!) and 12 and have been cruising with us for seven years. We always take time before each cruise to discuss the rules, which have obviously changed somewhat as they've grown older. One rule that has not changed is that they are not allowed to get off the ship without us. We get off the ship as a family and get back on together. We've never had any problems with our kids (or their cousins) on any of our cruises, because they want to be able to cruise with us the next time! I've always told them that they've never given me any reason to believe there will be a problem, but the first time there is one will be the LAST cruise they take with us. You know, I just CANNOT believe that all the kids that cause problems on cruises are angels at home. If my kids didn't know how to act at home, I sure as heck wouldn't be taking them on a cruise!

When mine were young, in fact the same ages as yours....I had time checks.
At a certain, prearranged time, and place, they would have to "check in" with me { this was long b4 the walkie-talkie years LOL}...I also insisted they were in the cabin 1 hour before dinner to shower and dress....After dinner, they changed and went off again with friends...curfew was 11pm, {sea days},and they had better be in the cabin when I got there. Room service was allowed, and left them a few dollars cash for tip. LOL You used to get pizza from room service, so there was n/p being back to the cabin at 11...they were hungry, LOL.
You sound like you have it under control....Have fun !!

There was a group of 12-17 year old kids my son hung out with on our last cruise. Some of them bought clear alcohol in port, put it in water bottles and brought it back on the ship. Their parents never knew.

[quote name='CLDS']There was a group of 12-17 year old kids my son hung out with on our last cruise. Some of them bought clear alcohol in port, put it in water bottles and brought it back on the ship. Their parents never knew.[/QUOTE]I blame the parents for this. WHERE were the parents when the kids were buying the alcohol???

Archived