Need Suggestion. Western Carribean Snorkeling.

Born4Travel

I am going on RCI western carribean cruise in Oct, 07. I only have enough budget to do 1 snorkeling adventure. What/where would you suggest? The most bang for our buck. (and I am scared of sting rays so that won't work:o )

Ports of call:Labadee, Haiti; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; Georgetown, Grand Caymen; Cozumel, Mexico.

TIA

Of those ports, I've only been to Cozumel. I don't remember the name but I believe Carnival (that's the line I was on) now calls it the Amazing Snorkeling, Ruins, Lighthouse by Jeep. The guides meet you at the pier and put 4 guests to a jeep with one of those guests driving. They will take you on a short off-road trip through the jungle allowing you to get pretty aggressive in spots. They then take you to a park where you will see salt water crocs and a small mayan temple. The snokeling was the highlight. You had to swim out about 100 yards to the reef and them follow along the reef for a couple of hundred yards. The pace was casual and the guides kept everyone together. It was a lot of fun.

The only other snorkeling I've done in Cozumel was Carnival's Ultimate Snorkeling tour last year. Stay away from this one. The guides took you a couple of hundred yards down the road from the pier and that was where you snorkeled. You could almost swim back to the ship.

Howard

Cozumel is great and I would pass on Ocho Rios. However if you have your own gear thier is a place in Grand Cayman where you can snorkel from the shore. Edens Rock and Devils Grotto is a really good area to snorkel. Plenty of fish (angles, parrot, groupers, jacks) and some nice rock formations. We have even seen turltes and eels there before. We normally dive that area because their are several small swim throughs that are really cool. If you do not have your own gear, you can rent it from the dive shop for $14 a person. Here is the website: http://www.edenrockdive.com/

The shop is only 100 yards to your right (when facing the city) from the tender area. Their is also a Tortuga Rum Cake shop almost across the street from the dive center. Free samples! The coconut is awesome!

Have a great trip,

Roger

I would advise trying Grand Cayman. In April, we took a cruise excursion in Cozumel- it was advertised as a 3 hour trip, but took about 5 hours between tendering and getting out to the sites. We snorkeled in 100 foot water, which was very clear and you saw some corals and a few fish, but nothing close up. We were shut out of afternoon snorkeling in Grand Cayman, but family members who went said it was great. Lots more options either through the ship or on your own.

I would advise trying Grand Cayman. In April, we took a cruise excursion in Cozumel- it was advertised as a 3 hour trip, but took about 5 hours between tendering and getting out to the sites. We snorkeled in 100 foot water, which was very clear and you saw some corals and a few fish, but nothing close up.

Just wondering if this was Carnival's "3 Reef" snorkel excursion? I have been trying to find someone who has done this excursion so I'll know whether or not it's any good. My friend and I are going to Costa Maya and Cozumel in March, and we want to snorkel where the water is clear and there are some nice reefs and plenty of fish to see. We are newbies at snorkeling.

I suggest Cozumel. When you get to port walk off the ship and get a taxi to Chakanaabe Marine park. There is a snorkle beach and alot of other things to do there. If you want you can also swim with dolphins. There are facilties and snack bars. The snorkling is not bad. It won't be the best you'll ever do but it's pretty good. Make sure the taxi is coming back for you even though I do believe there are taxi's waiting there. In Grand Cayman I agree with Amanda and Roger as soon as you get off the ship turn right and walk to a bright yellow building. It used to be across from the Hard Rock pre-hurricane. You can rent equipment there if you can't get it from the ship. Some of the best snorkling is right there for free. We have seen Sea turtles, grouper, and lots of little coral fish. Good luck. Both Islands are easy to do on your own.

Archived