Meds for motion sickness

Meclizine, the generic drug in Bonine, is used to treat vertigo. Vertigo is an inner ear issue. This is probably why it helps so much with motion sickness and why it continues to help when you are home from your cruise trying to find your "land legs" again.

As far as the Scop patches, I would never cut them in half! They are designed specifically to dissolve a specific amount of the chemical scopalamine into your tissue over that 72 hour period. Cutting the membrane means that the "cut edge" will leak at an unregulated rate. You will most likely get MORE drug into your system in the first 24 hours and less in the last 48...not a very safe practice.

Argh! Do not cut the scopolamine patch nor should you touch it once it's on (so if you have any issues with adhesives, be careful that you're not unintentionally touching or rubbing it; you'll release too much medication).

For any potential first time cruisers reading this thread and worrying about seasickness: don't give up on cruising before your first cruise. With the wide variety of medications (OTC, RX, herbal, devices like sea bands, etc) and the size and stability of today's ships, it's very unlikely that you will have any problems if you're a little proactive and informed of all your options before you step onboard.

Here's my two cents worth of info regarding seasickness: Everyone's body is different! We can all give each other general advice, but each of us will react differently to motion and to the meds. For instance, I had a horrible reaction to the patch (the drug in this is scopolamine), but many people swear it works for them. I suggest that if you are set on using it, try it a few days before the cruise- if you do have a reaction (blurred vision, kidney failure, etc) at least you can get off it before it ruins your cruise.

I use generic meclizine that I buy over the counter from Target (or wherever). The brand name is Bonine. It doesn't make me drowsy, and I do drink while taking it. I usually start (the meclizine) an hour before boarding, then once a day until I get my sea legs. Several cruiselines (including NCL & RCL earlier this year) give out free packets of meclizine at the infirmary and the purser's desk. Another OTC drug is dimenhydrinate, which is usually known by it's brand name Dramamine. This drug does make me drowsy, so if I do take it, I take it at night. (For instance, it's my drug of choice for long, over night, flights.)

Finally, if all else fails, don't give up on curing your seasickness. Go to the infirmary for Prescription drugs: a shot of phenergan (or by suppository) (or Zofram, etc). Yes, it costs a little, but don't suffer on your hard-earned vacation! And it's better to go there before you are really, really sick! So don't wait too long if you don't feel well! And enjoy your cruise!

I want to clarify information in my post reagrding the Transderm Scop patch. We did not decide to cut the patch in half on our own; it was actually the recommendation of our Dr. when we presented our symptoms from the patch. PLEASE, consult with your doctor about cutting them in half, as you should also consult with your doctor before you use the patch. As I stated in the prior post, the patch is a Rx, so do not take this or any Rx medication without consulting your doctor first.

I think I read several months ago when I first joined in here that someone had good luck with Ginger flavored Altoids. I have not tried them yet, but purchased some for our Aug. '07 Alaska cruise because it will be our first cruise and don't want to get sick either :) Anyone ELSE tried those?

• 2 weeks later...

I have never been sick on a cruise ship, and I have moderately bad motion sickness. And I have been in some rough seas! With the stabilizers, I've been fine.

However, when I went on an excursion in Jamaica I barfed the whole time!!! (mountain roads, crazy driver and mini-bus) Gahhhh!!!

Archived