transatlantic question

Enchanted

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of info.

We are doing our first non-Caribbean cruise in April.

it's the 12 day transatlantic from Miami to Southampton on NOS.

Can anyone tell me roughly what to expect weather wise?

Is it generally mild, or cold? Is the crossing rough? What about

the weather in London?

Thanks in advance.

Maxine.

Nothern transatlantic could be very calm or large waves.

Weather in London could be warm or rainy.

Just bring clothing you can layer.

Look at our weather this year , Europe also been warm this winter.

as we had one with a hurricane in September going from Ireland to Spain since they canceled our Iceland due to 85 ft waves & winds from the hurricane. The ride of the ship was fun, we got soaked eating breakfast on the 9th deck balcony from the waves & the food was oversalted! Furniture had a white coating on it and the announcements stating no to go on balconies & deck doors are locked. Walking down hallways resembled a bunch of drunks. The curtains on stage in the theatre were banging away and many dance moves were not overhead. Even the comedienne sat down to perform since he was ready to fall off stage from the motion. So I told him to take the seat next to me so I could hold onto him. Drinks were falling from their holders which got many folks very ticked from being soaked with them in front of the holders.

46 degrees at night was a 3 blanket bed since we love cool air from the balcony. We were rocking too which put us to sleep fast. Then the wind changed & our bedding is going out the blacony door with the curtains. My DH had to wrestle withthem & close the door to go back to bed. How funny that was!

I had seatshirts for port days, raincoat with hood for many, and then the more south we got the warmer & sunnier it was. So in April we sail MIA 6 days to the Azores, then Portugal, then 3 ports in Spain to fly home from Barcelona. So I am ready for pool days but not the humidity of the W Carib.

Thanks all.

I figured the crossing was a hit or miss thing.. and will be mild/rainy etc..

I'm worried about getting sea sick but the NOS is a pretty big ship... so i should be ok

Weather predictions are pretty unreliable and about the best anyone can tell you is what the average temperatures and rainfall are, but the variations from those averages can be quite dramatic. Who would have told you, had you asked what to expect of temperatures in Boston in early January, that temperatures in the fifties and mid to high sixties were likely? Yet that is what we experienced here the past week or so.:confused: Now the temperatures are dropping to levels that you might expect. Plan for what is normal for the time of year but don't be surprised if Mother Nature delivers something totally different.:)

If you are not normally prone to motion sickness, you should be fine, but don't forget that despite the size of the NOS, it is still miniscule in comparison to the vast Atlantic Ocean, so in very high seas, you could experience some or a lot of motion. We were on a Brilliance of the Seas westbound transatlantic when we experienced high winds and seas (swells of approximately 60 feet) but the ship rode well and there were very few complaints from the passengers. On our last transatlantic the seas were relatively calm during the entire crossing.

ENCHANTED - just realised you are a 'newbie' to these Boards.

Click on below and hopefully, (I am not good at this sort of thing) you will connect with our Roll Call!! There are already many of us 'talking' about our April 14th ta on the Navigator - you have 20 pages to read!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=349459&page=20

We have done many ta's and apart from a few odd days of slight motion, we have had superb crossings. In the lap of the gods obviously, and the famous Captain Bang.

Welcome aboard and do hope you will come over and embark on our thread!! Ship ahoy!!!!

If the above link doesn't work, look at the Boards page again, but go further down to Roll Calls, then click on Royal Caribbean/ then Navigator and then look for our date. Likely to be on first or second page.

Archived