Waterspout Sightings

perkins24

I just took my first cruise on the Conquest and saw a waterspout leaving Grand Cayman. It was such an awesome experience. Is this a normal thing to see in the Caribbean? Let me hear about your sightings! :)

we were on the Pride in an aft corner cabin. During the night heard a loud whistle and banging of our deck chairs. First instinct was someone had fallen from upper cabin. Ran outside and you could see the waterspout behind us. All our chairs were flipped and the divider between balconies had bee blown open. Kind of scary for first night at sea.

I don't want to sound stupid but what is a waterspout? I was assuming you were asking about whale sightings but with chairs being flipped and a divider being blown open I am thinking now that I just misunderstood. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

That is interesting. I have to wonder because there were 2 nights on our cruise that we heard a sound like someone was dumping barrells of water from the lido deck onto our deck. They were loud enough that they woke us both up from a sound sleep but we didn't see anything. Of course it took us a few minutes to get out of bed to go look.

We saw a water spout on a HAL cruise in October about 4 years ago. The weather changed suddenly and it was wild! All the water went OUT of the pool. They ended up closing any access to outside. The waves were huge. You could hear them crashing off the bow of the ship and we were really rocking and rolling. That was one wild ride!

We saw a water spout on our last day at sea coming back to New Orleans on the Inspiration. We were with our youngest daughter doing an Camp Carnival outside activity. Someone spotted the spout and everyone stopped the activity and watched the spout in the distance. It is something to see, but we were happy it wasn't too close.

Hadn't thought about seeing water spouts at sea. We usually vacation along the coast, such as Gulf Shores. It's seems that at least one day out of every trip we will see water spouts from the beach. Wonder if these are dangerous? We never worried about them on the beach; they would disappear after awhile but living in Tornado Alley I would sure react differently if I saw a tornado on land!

I (and a whole bunch of other people on the ship) saw two waterspouts at the same time on the 7/11/2004 sailing of the Conquest on (I think) our first sea day. One of the waterspouts hung around for a little while. It was pretty incredible to watch.

After reading about waterspouts I don't know if I should be glad that I didn't see one or if I should be saying "I sure wish I had seen that". LOL. I guess as long as it wasn't a tornado type waterspout I would have to wish I had seen one.

So what qualifies as a "tornado type waterspout"? The two I saw looked just like I imagine a tornado would look like, except on water. I have some pictures. I'll find a good picture and attach it to a message in this thread or something.

Halos, what are we doing to you - rogue waves and water spouts:eek: ???

We had one touch down on our cruise off the starboard side and it appeared headed right at the ship - cleared the Aft pool out fairly quickly. In the picture below it seems far away but as it was heading our way it looked alot closer.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/122773996/122774162BwArJe

My first cruise (Western) between New Orleans and Tampa the Sensation encountered a waterspout. Didn't get to see it in person, since I was playing bingo. The bingo sign on stage rolled all the way to the other side of the stage and then rolled the other way. Sitting in our chairs we wondered what was going on. Later someone captured it on the Lido Deck on a video camera. Awesome.

Halos, what are we doing to you - rogue waves and water spouts:eek: ???

We had one touch down on our cruise off the starboard side and it appeared headed right at the ship - cleared the Aft pool out fairly quickly. In the picture below it seems far away but as it was heading our way it looked alot closer.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/122773996/122774162BwArJe

What I saw didn't actuallly touchdown on the boat that I know of... but they looked very similiar to the waterspout in your picture.

Archived