kid snorkeling

deemk

what has been everyone's experience when snorkeling with your kids? have you typically done it with a tour, and been in a crowded area with lot of other people? and does the tour supply the snorkeling equipement? do they even make it small enough for young children? (my kids are 10,9,4 and they are smaller than avg size) and when going with a tour, is it a drop off type thing? where you have to get in the water and then they come back and get you? (you'll have to excuse me, this is our very first cruise) or does the transport boat hang out in the snorkel area, to where you don't all have to get in the water at the same time. we have an infant, so i'm trying to decide whether or not it's necessary to leave her on the ship, as the 4 year old can't swim. (sure would be nice to have more than 2 hands!:) )

I totally agree that mothers should automatically sprout extra arms with each baby!

As far as snorkeling goes...It completely depends on where you're excursion is. In CocoCay we snorkeled from the beach. If a tour boat is taking you, they typically anchor and you climb down a ladder. They do stay put (some people can handle only so much at one time). One great thing about the ship's excursions is you will be treated like a veal (sorry about the comparison but it's the closest thing I can come up with). There are always people around to help you. Are you doing this by yourself? If you're tied up with the 4 year old, you still have to keep a very close eye on the 10 & 9 yr. olds because of the currents. You will all have snorkeling vests on, and flippers will help. Some people don't even leave the anchor line. They'll just hang there and put their faces under the water! So, it's whatever you want to make of it.

I would suggest you book your tours online, and not through the cruiseline (check out the ports of call boards to get suggestions for non-cruiseline tours) These are typically less crowded and would be more manageable in your situation.

We did a cruise in Nov with our 5 yr old and 14 month old - we bought our 5 yr old a snorkle and mask online, and let her practice with it over the summer before our cruise. Many of the tours don't have a wide range of equipment for small children, esp masks. I will say that she required constant supervision while snorkeling, even though she can swim fairly well for her age. (ie the mask would get foggy, she would want to rest, etc) Snorkeling was one of her favorite parts of her trip, though, so definitley well worth the effort.

I would probably not take the 4 year old snorkeling - JMHO

We took DS to the Barrier reef when he was 7, we practiced snorkeling in the pool for months before we left but for him it was really scary being out in the ocean with no land around, we barely got him off the boat for a couple of minutes. DD who was 10 at the time had a blast and loved it.

When we were in Grand Cayman we went to Stingray city and there were adults who were nervous about getting off the boat in the middle of the ocean too.

We are taking the kids on our next cruise and plan on taking our snorkel gear as having the beach and being able to walk in to the water and security of land nearby makes a big difference. We will be in Tahiti and won't be taking DS on a snorkel trip off a boat without beach closeby:D :D

I would probably not take the 4 year old snorkeling - JMHO

We took DS to the Barrier reef when he was 7, we practiced snorkeling in the pool for months before we left but for him it was really scary being out in the ocean with no land around, we barely got him off the boat for a couple of minutes. DD who was 10 at the time had a blast and loved it.

When we were in Grand Cayman we went to Stingray city and there were adults who were nervous about getting off the boat in the middle of the ocean too.

We are taking the kids on our next cruise and plan on taking our snorkel gear as having the beach and being able to walk in to the water and security of land nearby makes a big difference. We will be in Tahiti and won't be taking DS on a snorkel trip off a boat without beach closeby:D :D

Last year we took our two boys. My little one had just turned 5 two weeks before. We practiced in the pool for a month. In Cozemel the boat we were on dropped us off and we had to swim a long ways. The boat was always moving along with us but at a distance. The guide stayed close and had a swim ring to hold if there was any problems. The water was very choppy with a strong current. Both boys did great. The little guys was scared but kept going. Looking back a feel I must have been crazy for taking them, we were just lucky it worked out so well. We acctually did it again in Grand Cayman. There it was perfect conditions, the boat anchored, shallow, no waves, and crystal clear (like a bath tub). They have fallen in love with snokeling so much we made three trips to Key Largo (2 hour drive) this summer for them to snorkel. We are headed back to Cozemel and Grand Cayman on Feb. 11th to do it all again. This time the oldest is going to snuba with me while Dad snokles with the little one.

When you go, besure to have snorkel vest. This way if you need to inflate them to float on the surface and hold one of the kids it will make it much easier. We swim in buddies. I always have the little guy and in the begining he would hold on to me and I would have one arm around his waist. Now he just goes and wants to be the "guide".

The boat had plenty of equipment just the right size for them and the guides if they are any good will pay special attention to the kids and you. Good Luck!! I hope they enjoy it as much as mine do.

• 3 weeks later...

We practiced in the pool w/4+yo son last year and took him on a catamarran in Grand Cayman to Stingray City in early January. He didn't like the waves out near the breakers--got to the bottom of the ladder w/Dad and refused to go any further. Second stop was the same because of wave action (not much for us...but a lot for him). He had a blast at the Stingray sandbar itself. We were all in the water and passed him around (older brother and sisters, mom and dad). There's not a lot to see but sand but the depth (3') and calmness and the huge rays had him sooo excited. The hardest part was getting him to shut up under water-- he's a motor mouth and had to talk about everything he saw.

Very labor intensive for us.

Consider the time of year, swimming ability of other kids--you'll freak if one has a problem and you are stuck holding the little one..., and who's there to help you physically. I am a good swimmer but did wear the snorkel vest inflated while I was helping the little guy--no time to inflate it if problems arise.

We'll add to his snorkeling experience again this spring.

Enjoy!

we are just going to do it from the beach. i think my 6 yr old will be able to manage with a vest. my daughter (3) probably will not be able to figure it out. We have a pool so i'm going to buy them decent equipment and let them practice in the pool. then if they want to do it from the beaches we visit... they can. we will take the equipment with us.

i wouldn't personally take young kids snorkeling unless it was right off the beach. with land close by. :)

Definitely have your kids practice breathing through the tube before hand...we just got back from our cruise. Our ten year old ds got very frustrated with breathing that he ended up getting back in the boat after only 10 minutes in the water... they were life vests and the tour guide will even lead the younger ones by letting them hang on to a rope...enjoy it!!

Definitely have your kids practice breathing through the tube before hand...we just got back from our cruise. Our ten year old ds got very frustrated with breathing that he ended up getting back in the boat after only 10 minutes in the water... they were life vests and the tour guide will even lead the younger ones by letting them hang on to a rope...enjoy it!!

We will be on the SilverMoon in Barbados in early April with our 7 and 4-year-old. I know the 4-year-old is pretty much a hopeless cause when it comes to snorkeling :D , but I can "train" my 7-year-old in the meantime, correct? Can someone please offer some helpful tips/suggestions?

Thanks!

Linda

just buy them a mask and snorkel...they can even practice in the bathtub... it takes a little getting used too having to breath through your mouth and learning how to blow any water out...my son went again the next day at another port and did fine...if I would have exposed him to the tube beforehand it would have went smoother

We were on a land based vacation in Grand Cayman a couple of years ago when our oldest were 7 and 5. We went to Stingray City, and the 7 year old loved it. The 5 year old was tentative, but still enjoyed putting her face in the water as long as dad was nearby. I agree that Grand Cayman has great conditions for snorkeling for kids...shallow water and gentle waves on the day we went, and crystal clear water. We practiced in the local indoor community pool before our trip.

Also, pick up some goggle defogger before you go, I think it really helps.

huangichen,

when we were first teaching ours to snorkel, it was frustrating for them because they get so excited and bend their heads foward (thus filling up the snorkel with water only to choke on it). We taught ours by having them wrap one hand near the top of the snorkel and when they feel water on that hand they learned that they either needed to not go any deeper or clear their snorkel. Sounds stupid but it really worked for us!

Here are my thoughts--

Our kids started snorkeling when they were 3, however they really got it when we turned 4. I am SCUBA Certified so I really wanted them to get into it young. We have used both tours and been on our own.

On your own, we have always been off of a beach, which they actually like better. Then if they get bored, or want to rest, it is easier and they can play in the sand.

On a tour we have always been off of a boat. Some boats you have to jump off quite a distance so keep that in mind. It could also be a little rougher off of a boat depending on the circumstances. However, the vis is usually better and you can see more fish.

I suggest your bring your own mask and snorkel. That way they can practice using it and you will know it fits for sure. The bathtub is always fun, as is a pool or spa. The more practice the better. The rentals don't always fit kids as well. We also always take there own lifevests. They fit really well and have the tie between the legs so it holds the vest down and does not go up infront of their face. They also have handles on the back which is great for a mom to pull when you need to grab them quickly. ALWAYS, ALWAYS keep them close to you, no mater how good they are. For safety and kids always seem to have a hard time clearning their masks.

Another thing we always do is bring chips or bread if we are on our own at a beach. A lot of times you can attact a lot of fish, and the kids love that! Just make sure you are someplace where it is ok to do so.

Lastly, when my son was first learning, I would put him on my back while I was swiming. He felt comfortable and could still put his face in the water. Just make sure you are a strong enough swimmer and comfortable yourself. With my daughter, she is a really strong swimmer and loves snorkeling. I usually make her hold my hand to keep her close by.

I'll be taking my boys snorkelling for the first time in August on our first cruise (lots of firsts!!:) ) the boys will be 7.5yo and 13yo at the time and I was wondering where a good place/tour to start would be? We are cruising with Carnival and will be visiting Grand Caymen, Belize, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. Many of the snorkelling tours state the kids have to be 8yo to participate but I did find a few that would allow us to include the 7yo - he would be devestated after all these weekly swimming lessons if we had to tell him he couldn't snorkel after all! Am I better off to book through the ship or through someone else?

They are both getting their own masks and snorkels(dh and I too as we've never snorkelled either) and we are all fairly good swimmers. Do they have PFD's that they provide for the kids?

Great boards - glad I found them!! Sure have learned alot so far!

I'll be taking my boys snorkelling for the first time in August on our first cruise (lots of firsts!!:) ) the boys will be 7.5yo and 13yo at the time and I was wondering where a good place/tour to start would be? We are cruising with Carnival and will be visiting Grand Caymen, Belize, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. Many of the snorkelling tours state the kids have to be 8yo to participate but I did find a few that would allow us to include the 7yo - he would be devestated after all these weekly swimming lessons if we had to tell him he couldn't snorkel after all! Am I better off to book through the ship or through someone else?

They are both getting their own masks and snorkels(dh and I too as we've never snorkelled either) and we are all fairly good swimmers. Do they have PFD's that they provide for the kids?

Great boards - glad I found them!! Sure have learned alot so far!

My daughter started snorkling off a sailboat in the BVI's when she was 5. Both my kids have there own gear (Sams Club $27 each last week).

My daughter brings her own PFD but my son (11) likes to dive so uses the device all units provide in which you can deflate.

I notice your first mention is Grand Cayman so I assume this will be your first stop. We leave Saturday, when we hit Grand Cayman we are taking Captain Marvins (check out the GC forum) which did not note an age to participate....

All of our tours were through private vendors, not through the ship. In GC we did the Sting Ray Tour and then they took us to another place to snorkel. The kids did great and it was so much fun.

In Cozumel we rented a car and then drove to some of the beaches. We stopped numerous times along the way and just jumped in the water and then we ended up at one of the Beach Clubs. This was one of the best days.

In Belize we did not snorkel but went tubing without the kids.

Have a great time!!

Archived