Poop in pools...follow the rules?? NO swim diapers...period

sharecruises

Honestly - many of the new ships do have splash play areas. If you have a younger one check out Disney, Carnival, Norweigan and RCCL since they all have some ships with splash areas.

Sorry to correct you but I don't want parents thinking that this is an option. The ONLY ship with a infant/toddler splash area IS Disney's Magic and now Wonder. That's it, no other.

Carnival, no

NCCL, no

RCCL, no

All these cruise lines require children to be potty trained, EVEN in the splash areas.

The reason Disney is so different is that the water drains completly away and it is just a little spray. The water is constantly changing.

I have been on the other cruise lines and our next cruise on RCCL Freedom of the seas with the biggest childrens play area on the sea (H20 ZOne) but I assure you that even at the H2O ZOne, kids must be potty trained.

Please do not circulate info that is not correct.

how about the older generations that use the adult diapers??? no offense......................babycrawl.gif

"dont laugh at that ...i apologise i should be with the starving pigmys in new guinnie amen...

'..( larry the cable guy )rofl3.gif

how about the older generations that use the adult diapers??? no offense......................babycrawl.gif

"dont laugh at that ...i apologise i should be with the starving pigmys in new guinnie amen...

'..( larry the cable guy )rofl3.gif

Most likely the reason the older generation uses adult diapers is because they have a bladder control problem, not a bowel control problem. That is what this thread is all about. Poop in the pool. Not pee.

I agree, little ones who are not potty trained should not be in the pools or hottubs. In fact, hot tubs can cause heart arrythmias in small children due to the rapid rise in temperature and can be very,very dangerous. However, most of these illnesses (e-coli, norovirus etc) are transmitted by contact (ie touching something someone else touched) after using the bathroom and not washing hands. How many people do you think dont wash their hands on a cruise? Now, think about all the serving spoons on the buffet line and everything else people touch, etc. The risk is much higher to contract it from those than the pools. These viruses and bacteria can live outside the body for days to weeks at a time. Unfortunately anytime you are in a crowded area, you are at risk for illness.

Julie

Rules is rules. No non potty trained babies/children in the pools on cruise ships. Not hard to understand. Save water time for the beach. I have a hard time believing anything is 100% secure, much less a $2 swimmy diaper. :confused:

On land in a good ole chlorinated pool, fine. But even then I think you should have to check your wee ones drawers every hour on the hour. That is what we did and ds never pooped in a swimmy diaper, ever. Peepee yes, but urine though revolting to think of being in a pool is actually a sterile fluid when it exits the human body. Can't even say that about saliva and people spit in pool all the time when they are expelling water from their mouths.

I am seriously considering not stepping toe one in any cruise ship pool. Just not lovin' the whole "fecal teabag" image... yack!! :eek:

I agree, little ones who are not potty trained should not be in the pools or hottubs. In fact, hot tubs can cause heart arrythmias in small children due to the rapid rise in temperature and can be very,very dangerous.

Good point and yet another reason not to let children in the spas.

As for diapered children in the pool..... it is not only a bacterial concern but a very big inconvenience for everyone else on the ship that my want to use the pool because the pool will have to be drained, disinfected and filled before any one will be allowed back in.

Sure, when you have a kidney, bladder or UT infection your urine is NOT sterile. Of course if you have any of those infections, you are probably in pain when you urinate, may have pain in the back or groin, might be spilling some blood or pus, and are running a fever. I know that is how all my kidney, bladder, and UTI's have presented.

I personally can't imagine taking a baby with an active infection into a pool. I am sure some have and it could be that they did so before symptoms presented but in a chlorinated pool (non-cruise ship pool), whatever is spilled in the water should be neutralized within minutes. This sadly can not be said of all fecal borne diseases like the parasite Cryptosporidium.

As for cruise ship pools, the CDC says this "Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained are not permitted in the public swimming

pools and whirlpool spas" so it is the rule on every cruise line.. period. It should be inforced. If folks just followed the rules, this discussion would not be needed.

I worked on a ship that had a splash play area for kids. Parents would often get aggressive if you asked them to move into the splash area with their children (an we were asking nicely… there was a script!). You would then remind them of the implications etc. But the one thing that got them moving quickly was to tell them that the pool (like all onboard modern ships) has a PH monitor, which would detect any release. If detected, the pool would be closed for a minimum of 2 hours whilst it was drained, filter dismantled and cleaned, the pool scrubbed, and then re-filled. This could take up to 5 hours if there was not enough water in the potable tank.

Also if the USPH board do an inspection, and kids with swim diapers are in the pool, they could (and would) wet-dock the ship – cancelling the remainder of the cruise.

I genuinely believe the majority of parents do not know the implications, and all that needs to happen is they be informed in a civil way.

A friend who works on RCCL had a guest that refused to take their child out the pool point blank. Security off loaded them the same day. Cruise lines do take the matter seriously.

While I agree with everybody here that children should not be allowed in the pool unless they are potty trained, please can everybody think before they jump down the throat of mothers with small children. I was lucky enough to have my daughter fully potty trained by 19 months. I took her swimming around the time of her second Birthday and somebody started shouting at me saying it is "revolting not having a nappy on my child" etc. So please everybody before you get all cross, please just take a moment to think that there are some children who are fully potty trained from a young age. My daughter will always tell me if she needs a poo or a wee while she is swimming and I will take her out of the pool and immediately to the bathroom. Surely I don't deserve to be shouted at.

While I agree with everybody here that children should not be allowed in the pool unless they are potty trained, please can everybody think before they jump down the throat of mothers with small children. I was lucky enough to have my daughter fully potty trained by 19 months. I took her swimming around the time of her second Birthday and somebody started shouting at me saying it is "revolting not having a nappy on my child" etc. So please everybody before you get all cross, please just take a moment to think that there are some children who are fully potty trained from a young age. My daughter will always tell me if she needs a poo or a wee while she is swimming and I will take her out of the pool and immediately to the bathroom. Surely I don't deserve to be shouted at.

Sorry you went through that. That's a good point to remember. My youngest was also potty trained before she turned 2 but no one said anything to us in the pools. And yes, she does ask to leave the pool (and the bath tub) when she needs to use the bathroom.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic. I've been in pools ruined by un-potty-trained kids. I started training my 2.5 year old earlier this month, in anticipation for our June cruise. He's about 90% there, so I'm hopeful he'll be 100% in the next 70 days. But there's no way I'd ruin anyone else's trip; I never realized it was such a contentious issue.

I never experienced this type of problem with anyone (the pooping babies):D , but there was a time when we were trying to RELAX in the jacuzzi and a parent let their small child (maybe 5 years old) use the jacuzzi as a swimming pool! That kinda took the RELAX out of RELAXTION!!

I never experienced this type of problem with anyone (the pooping babies):D , but there was a time when we were trying to RELAX in the jacuzzi and a parent let their small child (maybe 5 years old) use the jacuzzi as a swimming pool! That kinda took the RELAX out of RELAXTION!!

You should see it on Carnival. :rolleyes: I was sooo tempted to take a picture of a child in the hot tub. His parents were laying on the deck chairs. Their child was talking to them while he was sitting in the hottub. And the funny part about it was AS he was talking to his parents, his arms were dangling over the sign that said 18 AND OVER ONLY

He couldn't have been older than 7.

Archived