Blackbeard's Cay SAND FLEAS????

SheilaL56

We sprayed OFF with deet and had no problems. We snorkeled most of the time but sat in a lounge chair for at least a half hour at the end and had no problems with sand fleas. There are tons of fish and stingrays to snorkel with and you can stay in the water the whole time snorkeling if you want. It was one of the best excursions we've been on.

Hi Dukegirl,

As far as the time of year for the bugs...I really don't know...this was my first time to Blackbeards. I asked one of the employees if it was seasonal and they said that it just depends on the right climate and conditions and they become a problem.

As far as time in the water with the stingrays, that is up to you. They are sectioned off from the rest of the beach in an enclosed area. You can snorkel freely in the area, you have the option to feed them, and get your picture taken with them. If you feed them it is better if you kneel in the water...they will glide right over you! Stay in the shallow water and it will make it easier to touch them. As far as variety of fish to see while snorkeling with the stingrays is ordinary. I think the real draw is the rays.

As far as what time of day is best to go....our excursion was from 1pm to 4pm....there was like 20 people on the boat going over...that's it!!! The boat was pretty empty. I thought wow we will have this place all to ourselves! I figured people just picked other excursions but now after my experience I just think the word is out about the fleas and people are not going.

It really is a shame because the set-up over there is really very nice. Nice beach area, grill area and bar area....and feeding the rays is not something that most people get to do so it is really fun but....

I just don't feel like I should have to slather on bug repellent for a few hours at the beach. If I were taking a nature hike through the woods, yes...but just laying on a loungechair on the sand...no.

And, unfortunately I did not know that bug spay would be needed until AFTER the excursion so I am not kidding you when I tell you I've got bites all over! I am glad I did it but won't be back again.

You mention that you will be going to the private island the next day? If it is Coco Cay you are going to you will love it. This was our 2nd time there and both times were great! And no sand flies!!!

It's strange that someone on this thread mentioned being bit by fleas at Blackbeards on Dec.6th.. I was there only a few days after that, and both me and my boyfriend were fine. I put small bottles of insect repellents in our backpacks, prepared from reading this post BEFORE we went. However, we didn't need them at all! We never put on repellent, and were never bit. We did the stingray swim and then relaxed on beach chairs for an hour or so..and were fine! =)

It's strange that someone on this thread mentioned being bit by fleas at Blackbeards on Dec.6th.. I was there only a few days after that, and both me and my boyfriend were fine. I put small bottles of insect repellents in our backpacks, prepared from reading this post BEFORE we went. However, we didn't need them at all! We never put on repellent, and were never bit. We did the stingray swim and then relaxed on beach chairs for an hour or so..and were fine! =)

Yep, I was there in September and had no problems either. And this was after I read all of the problems from 2007.

I did a whole review of it on my blog. It was our best excursion ever. There were 4 of us, two young children. Not one bite on any of us and we were there from 9am - 2pm.

• 1 year later...

Just to let you know, "sand fleas" are not the pesky, black parasites that bite you at the beach. Sand Fleas, or Mole Crabs, are small crabs that bury themselves in the sand and do not have pincers. They are friendly and are an interesting organism that children love to play with at the beach. The fleas that you are talking about are "no-see-ums" or "hop alongs", and are only a tenth of an inch in size and swarm in the hundreds, attacking beachgoers, especially tourists with pasty white skin. This is due to the fact that light skin in thinner and easier for the pests to penetrate. They can be repelled with bug spray applied in large amounts. Hope this helps! :)

Archived