Cost of using onboard internet/computers

gomomgo

We will not be lugging the laptop on this trip but would like to use the computers onboard to send home messages a couple of times during the week. What is the cost and do you need to buy a package of minutes? Is it impossible to get on one of their computers?

Most Princess ships have a 24 hour internet cafe...plenty of computers and usually not very busy. It now costs .50 per minute. Many ports have internet cafes very near the pier and rates are very inexpensive.

Also, when you get to Platinum level with Princess, the biggest perk is free internet. We just arrived:)

Most Princess ships have a 24 hour internet cafe...plenty of computers and usually not very busy. It now costs .50 per minute. Many ports have internet cafes very near the pier and rates are very inexpensive.

Also, when you get to Platinum level with Princess, the biggest perk is free internet. We just arrived:)

Apparently the Platinum internet is a "limited free internet" now, meaning

not unlimited minutes anymore.

Read the current thread pertaining to this. It has not been "eliminated"

but modified to fewer minutes or some such thing:mad:

here is a thread about the changes

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=469592

On our Caribbean Princess cruise in December, the rates were as follows:

250 minutes for $100 (40 cents/minute) or

100 minutes for $55 (55 cents/minute) or

"Pay as you go" for 75 cents/minute

Plus $3.95 the first time you use it (one time charge)

It was reasonably heavily used, but never waited more than about 5 minutes to get on, and usually didn't wait at all.

If you are in a full suite, or platinum or above, it is free.

I would suggest that you use an internet cafe at some of your ports of call. We do this instead of post cards to friends & family. Cannot remember paying more than $6:00 an hour anywhere(very old, bad memory) and many sell time in 1/2 blocks. Bill

I would suggest that you use an internet cafe at some of your ports of call. We do this instead of post cards to friends & family. Cannot remember paying more than $6:00 an hour anywhere(very old, bad memory) and many sell time in 1/2 blocks. Bill

I've found this and the other closed discussion very interesting. I can see a need to "limit" those that use this access to play games and hogging the system. I can live with having a limit as I don't want to spend a lot of my vacation on line. Having said that, I will no longer put up with long delays getting logged in or slow service. I will be at the pursers office on a regular basis getting credit.

I am glad to see that Princess is finally crediting days of cruising instead of the number of cruises. I complained to management years ago about this and it has taken this long to implement. Who is the more loyal passenger, the one with 16 3 day cruises or the one with 10 14 or more day cruises?

BTW, even with these limitations, one might remember that Celebrity gives it's Elite equivalents only a half hour of free internet when reaching that level and nothing for the Platinum equivalent. However, up until now, Celebrity credited more cruises taken as they gave one an extra cruise credit if the length of cruise was over so many days and if they purchased a concierge cabin.

I also believe that Elite passengers should be given more internet credit as they have taken almost 3 times the amount of cruises that the Platinum level honors.

I also await an announcement on a level above Elite.

Frank (Elite)

I'll need to use internet Cafe the night before disembarkation to print our flight boarding pass. Is there a fee to print? So, if I understand correctly, I will pay one-time fee of $3.95, .50/minute and, if applicable, printing costs? Hope that the other 3000 passengers don't need to brint boarding passes at the same time!!

On our Caribbean Princess cruise in December, the rates were as follows:

250 minutes for $100 (40 cents/minute) or

100 minutes for $55 (55 cents/minute) or

"Pay as you go" for 75 cents/minute

Plus $3.95 the first time you use it (one time charge)

It was reasonably heavily used, but never waited more than about 5 minutes to get on, and usually didn't wait at all.

If you are in a full suite, or platinum or above, it is free.

These rates currently only apply to the Dawn, Caribbean and Grand. If you have bought a package you can use the internet up until you disembark. If you are pay as you go then you will be able to use the internet until 11pm the evening before the disembarkation day.

Full suite and plat have free access inthe cafe but pay for wireless laptop access.

Celebrity used to give Elite members 10 minutes of free internet per cruise

but they totally removed even that perk

THERE ARE NO PERKS for being ELITE on Celebrity precisely the reason we switched to Princess

I recalled it as being so little that it was a joke and I now see at their web site that it has been eliminated as you mentioned. Celebrity's perks are almost nothing compared to Princess but their overall package of food, service, etc. is just a tad classier. But they charge a little more for that too. Sometimes they try to hide it by having shorter cruises. For example, Princess' round trip from LA to Hawaii is 15 days while Celebrity's is 14 days and Celebrity completly misses the island of Kauai.

Frank

Archived