First timers with 3yo & 6yo - questions

LSKC

hi.

never been cruising but always wanted to try it.

daughter will be just shy of 4 and son will be 6

i would love to hear from anyone using the youngest age group in the kids program and what cruise line was it with. at the moment we are heavily looking into Princess because their age groupings allow our children to stay in the same group together, where RC would have them split into 2 different levels.

also, do children generally have a discounted fare on the ship or will they cost the same as adults? we are awaiting a quote from our travel agency and i'm just curious on that. i imagine they'd be at a big discount like resorts offer?

any other advice on traveling with 2 young kids? we are looking forward to both alone time and time with the children too. i see most of the land excursions exclude kids under 8 yo it seems so i'm wondering if we will feel bored or strapped to the ship.

thanks in advance for your help.

Leslie

As far as fares go, most cruise lines charge the same fare as adults. If it is you and your spouse, your children will be charged the 3rd and 4th person rate, which would be a significant discount in itself.

If you find a cruise with a great kids program, I don't think your kids would be bored/feel trapped. When they are not at the program, do stuff and be involved. They should love it!:)

You should get some good advice and experiences with the different lines and different kids programs over here on the family board.

Cruising is very much geared toward families and entertaining everyone. I say go for it and have a blast!

Our son started cruising with us at the age of 5. He LOVES the kids program on Royal Caribbean. I can understand that you would like your kids to be together in the same group... but my understanding of Princess is that there are times when it is just supervised play. Meaning that the kids have free time to just play in the room. However, on Royal Caribbean, the days and evenings have scheduled activities for the kids. Yes, they will be in different groups... but the rooms are connected so they can kind of see each other if they need the extra support.

As far as excursions, yes, many of the ship sponsered trips are for children 6 and older. However, with research, you can find private tour operators that will meet your childrens needs and then some. It really depends where you are going.. but there are many excursions that you can do privately in the caribbean and have a great time with your kids and save money at the same time!!!! ( the ship tours are more money and bigger groups). So, dont go into the cruise thinking you will be tied down. You can make the most of your trip with the right research before hand.

As previously stated, the kids fall into the 3rd and 4th passenger category for pricing. This can be as little as 199 to 900 depending on the ship and time of year. We personally find the Voyager Class or Freedom class to be best for families on Royal Caribbean... so much for everyone!!!!!!

You can also go on excursions without the children and leave them in the kids club.... this is where I think that they would have a better time with the planned activities on Royal Caribbean.

Both of my children started cruising when they were babies. My 2 year old is set to go on her 3rd in April, my 6 year old her 4th.

Different cruiselines offer different prices for children. Royal and Carnival use 3rd and 4th person rates (so kids would pay as much as a 3rd or 4th adult in the cabin).

Disney offers a kids discount, but the price for the adults would more than make up for it enough not to be worth it unless you really wanted to do Disney.

Nowegian offers a "port fee and taxes only" charge for infants but your children are too old to take advantage of that.

On Disney and Carnival, I was able to take children and infants on MANY excursions. I could even take my 2 year old on a dolphin close encounter. It depends on what kind of excursion you want to do. If you are doing scuba diving then you're right, no children that age.

Just explore the different web sites and check out their shore excursions and age limits.

I found that even though your children are divided into different groups on most cruiselines, they STILL do things together. ON Carnival they would at least. My kids were together alot.

And my children refuse to come out of the kids club. I have to drag them out to spend time with me. So you will have more than enough time to spend alone.

Both of my children started cruising when they were babies. My 2 year old is set to go on her 3rd in April, my 6 year old her 4th.

Different cruiselines offer different prices for children. Royal and Carnival use 3rd and 4th person rates (so kids would pay as much as a 3rd or 4th adult in the cabin).

Disney offers a kids discount, but the price for the adults would more than make up for it enough not to be worth it unless you really wanted to do Disney.

Nowegian offers a "port fee and taxes only" charge for infants but your children are too old to take advantage of that.

On Disney and Carnival, I was able to take children and infants on MANY excursions. I could even take my 2 year old on a dolphin close encounter. It depends on what kind of excursion you want to do. If you are doing scuba diving then you're right, no children that age.

Just explore the different web sites and check out their shore excursions and age limits.

I found that even though your children are divided into different groups on most cruiselines, they STILL do things together. ON Carnival they would at least. My kids were together alot.

And my children refuse to come out of the kids club. I have to drag them out to spend time with me. So you will have more than enough time to spend alone.

DD (now 11YO:eek: !) has travelled with us since infancy. During her 'preschool' years we did 2 RCCI, one NCL, one Princess, and one Disney cruise. Since then it has been primarily RCCI and one NCLA cruise.

The RCCI and NCL kids programs are definately her favorites. Both have lots of very structured play opportunities with great staff. RCCI is a bit more 'high energy'.

DD really was never a Disney fan at a younger age (now of course she is really into their 'tween' programming) so the characters and decor of the Disney ship was lost on her.

I wouldn't be too concerned about them being in separate 'programs' on any line. At those age levels, the facilties are shared and they will be available to one-another if they need sibling support. The plus with the multiple levels of kids programs is that the activities are really designed for the interests and abilities of the age level and thus are more interesting and entertaining for the kids. I'm sure you have issues where the 6YO is bored to tears with the 3YOs activities and vice-versa.

Hi

We went on the Diamond xmas 05/06 for 19 nights with 3 boys age nearly 7, 5 and 2.5 yrs

The youngest was only allowed in to play with us supervising but the other two were in the 3-7 group. It was fantastic! The boys loved it and there were lots of structured activities and some free play too, There were discos, dinners, olympics, crafts, movie nights etc

The staff were fantastic with the kids and the security of having to show drivers licence everytime we picked them up was a plus knowing they were safe until we got there.

we are returning in April and Im so excited as the youngest is now 3.5 and will able to join in the activities.

His oldest brother will be 8 so he will be seperated from the 6 yr old and 3 yr old. At least they will do different things for their age group.

I highly recommend princess kids club!

Any queries please ask and I will check back

Regards

Danni

this thread has been very helpful.

i like hearing that even if we end up cruising with carnival or RCI, and they are seperated...they won't be that far away from each other.

i also was nerveous about security issues. like how well they are watched (my daughter is a wanderer at 3yr old...makes me scared she could sneak away?).

i like hearing that you need to show ID on Princess.

can anyone from Carnival or Royal Caribbean let me know if they do the same (iD or some sort of security in place so only the parents can pick up the kids from the kids club)?

We went on NCL Dawn with our 2 kids in 2005. They were 2 and 7 at the time and absolutely loved the kid crew. They were very secure. There is no way either one of them would have been able to wander out on their own. There is a half-door where you drop them off and it is manned the whole time they are open. There are other exits, but they are locked and alarmed. And, yes, you need an ID to check them in and out. They are very serious about security. We never had a problem with either one of them trying to get out. We had a problem with them trying to get in!!! All the time! :D

No matter what cruise line you choose, you'll have a blast!

this thread has been very helpful.

i like hearing that even if we end up cruising with carnival or RCI, and they are seperated...they won't be that far away from each other.

i also was nerveous about security issues. like how well they are watched (my daughter is a wanderer at 3yr old...makes me scared she could sneak away?).

i like hearing that you need to show ID on Princess.

can anyone from Carnival or Royal Caribbean let me know if they do the same (iD or some sort of security in place so only the parents can pick up the kids from the kids club)?

Oh once you drop her off at the kid's club there is NO way she could get away. On the ships we have been on, there is a locked half door dividing the kids club from the drop off area. As a parent, you sign the child up OUTSIDE of the club, then they open the door and allow the child to come in...no parents allowed.

On the Carnival ship there was a door that went up to my chest. I had to peek over it to see my child. On the Disney ship, there is an electronic door that is guarded by a counselor who asks for your password.

When they leave the kid's club (they usually do NOT do that with the younger groups), but when they do, they are surrounded by couselors and everyone holds hands and walks in a line.

Security is very tight at the kids clubs. No worries at all.

My kids (7 and 11) have cruised since they were 5 and 7, and they love every minute of the kids program. We have done Carnival, Royal and Norwegian, and have been happy with all of them.

When my DD was 5 and on her first cruise, I went to drop her off at the 2-5 year old Camp Carnival, and she didn't want to go. Strange place, strange people, etc. She cried, but I made her go in anyway, because I knew she would love it, and she did. I waited outside the door, and she stopped crying within about 30 seconds because the workers got her involved in coloring and watching a Dora video. Let me tell you, those girls know what they are doing! From then on, she was always begging to go back to her "class."

The kids are watched very carefully by highly trained people. I know in the 2-5 group, most ships will give you a pager that they will notify you of if they need you. On all three cruiselines, you show your ID to sign them in and again to sign them back out. I still caution my kids to go with no one but me or dad.

The price is usually cheaper for 3-4-5th person in a cabin, unless their triple-quad-quint cabins are gone or almost gone. I have seen the price be higher. But it's rare.

Our kids (3 and 6) went on their first cruise in December - Royal Caribbean. We paid 3rd and 4th passenger rates for them (same as adults traveling as 3rd and 4th passenger).

My baby boy is more timid so I was worried about him being without his sister in the children's program. We went and toured the facility on the first day and he wandered around freely. I liked the idea that he would be able to see his sister through the floor to ceiling glass doors/walls. He liked the space and looked forward to going to Adventure Ocean on our first sea day.

There are three structured sessions a day in AO - 9 a.m. to noon; 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Then you can pay for group babysitting from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

We took the kids to AO on our first sea day for the morning session because there was limited family activities that morning and it was too cool for the pool. They had fun. Each session has a theme with crafts, science activity, reading and physical play. My orginal plan was for the kids to go to AO every night at 7 p.m. and we would feed them early and then we'd enjoy the nice dinners in the dining room. They didn't go to AO any more during the day because there was always something we were doing as a family.

However, our son loved eating in the dining room so he only returned to AO one more time and that was for Pajama Movie Night. DD on the other hand went to AO 5 of the 7 nights because she loved theme nights. DH would go get here around 9:45 and bring her to the dining room just in time for her to order dessert.

If you look at the excursion options, there will be opportunities for your kids. Our kids like pirates so we did the Pirate Soul Museum in Key West and the Pirate Encounter in Grand Cayman. We opted to stay on the ship in Cozumel and had a wonderful day! We had the pool to ourselves practically. We participated in Family Shufflegolf and we went to the Lowe's Family Boat Building (we were the only family there so the kids were made over!). It was a great day!

My son loved the production numbers in the evenings.

Our kids fell in love with cruising and they can't wait to go again. I'm very close to booking a short 4-night over Easter out of Galveston. We're just waiting to see if DH can get away from work for those days.

Archived