Alaska for kids

Cruise Neophyte

My mother-in-law has kindly offered to bring her kids and their families on a 65th birthday cruise to Alaska. We're looking into different cruises, shore excursions, etc. and we can't help but wonder if this is the best way to celebrate her big day. Our concern is that we will be travelling with a total of four boys, ages 1, 4, 9 and 12. While we're reasonably confident that the 9 and 12 year olds would be able to keep themselves entertained just about anywhere (and they've been on a cruise before so they know the drill), we're not as confident that my nephews will have the best time.

My impression is that Alaskan cruises are targeted more at the "mature" market and they're not as focused on young families as, say, a Disney cruise around the Bahamas. While I'm sure the scenery is stunning, I expect that it might not hold the attention of a young boy for more than 7 minutes.

I'm looking for any suggestions, comments, experiences, etc. Of course, if Grandma has her heart set on Alaska, we'll go to Alaska and I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time. If, however, she's open to alternatives and if I learn that our concerns are justified, she may opt to celebrate her birthday in some other part of the world.

Thanks for your input.

We are going to take our 8, 16 and 18 year old kids on a cruise to Alaska in July. Our last Alaska cruise was without kids, but we loved it so much that we wanted to bring our kids back. We actually gave them a choice of this or another cruise through Europe-the baltic region this time and they chose this. There are definitly more adults on these types of cruises and unless you are in the garden villas I don't think that there are any indoor pools to swim in. We have been pretty lucky in that our kids are good travelers, they are pretty well behaved and respectful and would never run through the hallways or be loud at a meals etc.

The one definite excursion we are taking them on is We are going to take a helicopter to land and walk on a glacier in Juneau.-but your 1 and 4 year old nephew couldn't do that.

We have been cruising with our kids since they were quite little, but at 1st mostly to destinations that included the pool or beach excursions. having said that, I definitly think alaska has things to offer the older 2 nephews and depending on the personalities of the younger 2-they might enjoy it too.

Go on NCL web site and look under excursions and then check the minimum age/size for each excursion as well as difficulty level. That is how our kids decided that the baltic cruise was not for them this time around because they liked the excursions offered in alaska better.

We are going to take our 8, 16 and 18 year old kids on a cruise to Alaska in July. Our last Alaska cruise was without kids, but we loved it so much that we wanted to bring our kids back. We actually gave them a choice of this or another cruise through Europe-the baltic region this time and they chose this. There are definitly more adults on these types of cruises and unless you are in the garden villas I don't think that there are any indoor pools to swim in. We have been pretty lucky in that our kids are good travelers, they are pretty well behaved and respectful and would never run through the hallways or be loud at a meals etc.

The one definite excursion we are taking them on is We are going to take a helicopter to land and walk on a glacier in Juneau.-but your 1 and 4 year old nephew couldn't do that.

We have been cruising with our kids since they were quite little, but at 1st mostly to destinations that included the pool or beach excursions. having said that, I definitly think alaska has things to offer the older 2 nephews and depending on the personalities of the younger 2-they might enjoy it too.

Go on NCL web site and look under excursions and then check the minimum age/size for each excursion as well as difficulty level. That is how our kids decided that the baltic cruise was not for them this time around because they liked the excursions offered in alaska better.

check out the kids program on all the cruise lines. they would help make the cruise days fun for all the kids but the 1year old. on our cruise (NCL star) last sept, there were several pre-school kids..the parents said they were having a great time. older kids would like the wildlife tours, whales, eagles and much more.

My mother-in-law has kindly offered to bring her kids and their families on a 65th birthday cruise to Alaska. We're looking into different cruises, shore excursions, etc. and we can't help but wonder if this is the best way to celebrate her big day. Our concern is that we will be travelling with a total of four boys, ages 1, 4, 9 and 12. While we're reasonably confident that the 9 and 12 year olds would be able to keep themselves entertained just about anywhere (and they've been on a cruise before so they know the drill), we're not as confident that my nephews will have the best time.

Thanks for your input.

NCL Kids Club will work for the 4, 9 and 12 year old. Kids Club is open during most hours on sea days and from 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. at night. The kids are grouped by ages with age appropriate activities with the counselors. My daughter loves kids club. (she has been on 4 NCL cruise in 5 years). There is also "pay" babysitting (per hour, per child) from 10:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m. and during the times in port. The kids are not divided by age and there are no organized activities during these times.

Even when my daughter didn't go to Kids Club, she participated in many of the craft and other projects available on board. (The Star has a wonderful kids pool by the way.) When we were in Alaska, we were able to find shore excursions that she loved. We did the "Family Gold Rush," "Wildlife Tour" and "Ducks Tour" as well as the train in Skagway. She had a great time in Alaska.

The one year old is a different matter. Kids Club participants must be at least two years old and potty trained. (if not potty trained, the parents are given a beeper to come when chaning the child is necessary)

My sister in law took her 3 month old to Alaska in 2005 and her and her husband just traded shore excursions. (one would do one that the baby couldn't do in one port while the other either stayed with the child or took a shore excursion the baby could go on like the train.)

Archived