Alaska for kids

Cruise Neophyte

My mother-in-law has kindly offered to bring her kids and their families on a 65th birthday cruise to Alaska. We're looking into different cruises, shore excursions, etc. and we can't help but wonder if this is the best way to celebrate her big day. Our concern is that we will be travelling with a total of four boys, ages 1, 4, 9 and 12. While we're reasonably confident that the 9 and 12 year olds would be able to keep themselves entertained just about anywhere (and they've been on a cruise before so they know the drill), we're not as confident that my nephews will have the best time.

My impression is that Alaskan cruises are targeted more at the "mature" market and they're not as focused on young families as, say, a Disney cruise around the Bahamas. While I'm sure the scenery is stunning, I expect that it might not hold the attention of a young boy for more than 7 minutes.

I'm looking for any suggestions, comments, experiences, etc. Of course, if Grandma has her heart set on Alaska, we'll go to Alaska and I'm sure we'll have a fantastic time. If, however, she's open to alternatives and if I learn that our concerns are justified, she may opt to celebrate her birthday in some other part of the world.

Thanks for your input.

We did Alaska several years ago when my girls were 7 & 11. It was our best cruise ever they say. :) In Ketchican we did the Lumber Jack show, a little corny but they loved it. Pretty reasonable prices too, when we did some shopping in the port, the 7yo chose to go back to the kids camp, whined to go back, she spent every moment she could in there! In Juneau we did a helicopter glacier tour, that was the highlight of the trip, not reasonably priced, but worth every penny. I'm not sure how well that would work with a toddler though. We were travelling with a large group, so in Skagway we arranged for a private tour that went up the mountain on a road that paralleled the train, but had several stops on the way. My 7yo wasn't really impressed with this, but enjoyed the snow we encountered...first time my FL babies saw that white stuff! In the afternoon we sent the grandmas back to the ship and the rest of us went on a hike down the gold miner's trail, I think it was Chilcoot, but don't quote me on that, then we took a raft ride (no rapids) back down. We all enjoyed that, but it was definately a tough hike if you weren't in shape, not something you'd be able to take a toddler on. The grandmas were more than happy to miss it for the chance to shop.

We cruised Alaska on NCL in June 2005 with my parents (age 60) and my two dd's 1yr and 3 yrs. It was our best vacation ever. While eating breakfast on deck in the port of Ketchikan we saw 3 wild killer whales cruise right by our ship. The kids were in amazement. The hardest part for you will be entertaining the 1 year old. My 3 yr old went into the kids club and loved it. Luckily my parents were with us and we all took turns taking care of the 1yr old. Make sure you get a balcony room so you can sit outside while the 1yr old naps. Bring an umbrella stoller and maybe he will nap in that while you go into the shops. As for shore excursions we did the Rainforest Excursion in Ketchikan. It was a bit over the kids heads but they got to pet real reindeer so they loved it. In Juneau we took the tram up and hiked all over. Bring a backpack carrier for the 1yr old. The umbrella stroller will be difficult to navigate on the mountains! In Skagway we did the train ride. I think boys will appreciate it more than girls. My kids were a bit bored as they arent into trains at all. We also did gold panning and my 3 yr old thought that was neat. Prince Rupert wasnt worth getting off the boat! It was actually warm enough to use the kids pool one day. I even let my 1 yr old get in. I know, no swim diapers in the pool. But we were the only ones there and it was a kids pool.

Alaska is a great multi-family, multi generational cruise. Your boys will probably love cruising up to the glaciers and seeing icebergs right next to the boat... another reason to get a balcony! Enjoy!

Alaska is great for kids. And the cruiseline will have kids programs, regardless of the itinerary. I had a 9 and 12 year old, and we did the lumberjack show and the dog sled on wheels (dog sled summer camp!). We got to pet the dogs and puppies. You will have a great time....

My kids 6 & 9 loved it . Off ship they went rock climbing , whale watching boat (got to drive boat) . We also went to the salmon hatchery ( Iforget which port). On the ship all they wanted to do was go to the kids club.

Would go again in a heart beat..

MK

We went in August 2006 with our 3 kids (4, 7, and 12) and the grandparents. It was the best! I don't think there was ever a boring moment for the kids. The younger two would have been happy just sitting in the cabin window, watching the world go by. Having a 1 YO with you will certainly limit your options, but that is true wherever you go (and we started cruising with the kids when the youngest was 1, so we know the challenges that can present!).

If your cruise stops in Victoria, consider going to the Royal BC Museum. It is more than just a basic museum - it is an experience. Instead of the train in Skagway, I'd recommend renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake instead. (Vans may be available through Avis if you e-mail them.) We did the wheeled dogsled ride in Caribou Crossing (much cheaper than the one through the ship) and saw so much beautiful scenery and some wildlife on the drive that this was our favorite excursion.

I am on the HAL Noordam to Alaska in July with my 9 and 12 year old. I'm glad to read the posts detailing the activities which other children have enjoyed. Does anyone have any experience with HAL or Noordam with kids? I hope it is not as somber as I have read in other posts.

I think it will have ALOT to do with the ship/line you choose. If they have a good/great kids program the kids will be entertained!

We've been considering the same 75th birthday cruise for my mom. It's either Alaska or the Med. - she wants something more interesting than the caribbean (been there lots).....and all the families just want a good kids program.

We went on a family reunion Alaska cruise last August with our kids, ages 5 and 10. They had a great time. The only thing I have to add to previous posts is this: consider whether you would want the opportunity to have babysitting for the 1 year old. I know Celebrity offers private in-cabin babysitting, and I've heard that Royal Caribbean does as well. But I know Princess does not, and kids have to be at least 3 and potty trained for the kids program. Maybe that's not important to you, but if it is then that's something to consider in choosing which cruise to take.

--Junglejane

Archived