P&O using Thomas Cooks A 330 aircraft

Bar-fly

Kimmy

Please do not cancel your cruise on the Arcadia. If I had cancelled any cruise after reading negative comments then we would never have set foot on a ship!

I have to admit we do prefer the service on the American ships but we really enjoyed our Panama canal cruise on the Arcadia especially in our aft balcony cabin. There really is nothing like leaning on your balcony and watching the wake of the ship behind you.

I have some photos of the cabin if you click on this link you can see them:

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3248

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3249

I know the flights are tedious at best but if you don't want to fork out £300 per person for the upgrade take my advice and get to the airport early to try and get the exit row seats as the seats you are allocated on the way out will be the same ones you get on the return journey. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask me.

Kind regards

Lisa

It seems that everyone is in agreement that Arcadia is not up to scratch as a P&O ship - especially if people are comparing her unfavourably with Oceania and the ex-P&O ship Adonia! As the father of a 3-year old I am unable to cruise on her without abandoning my family so cannot comment from personal experience, but let's hope that P&O are listening to the many negative comments and will take them on board before the launch of Ventura and during the planning of her successor.

I was somewhat surprised by the comments from Fellowcraft about the quality of food on Thomson Celebration - 2 years ago we sailed on Thomson Spirit and could not believe how appalling the food was!! We compare it with P&O and Celebrity and would put it lower than a decent transport caff! Food apart the cruise was excellent - service, accommodation, entertainment were all that we could have asked for - but for a decent meal we needed to go ashore at the ports of call around the Med.

We have not yet been on Arcadia but are going in December.

No everyone is certainly not in agreement about Arcadia. If you look at the different boards many people actually like her. Presumably their opinions are not worth considering. It seems to me that looking across the P&O fleet they have made a big effort to have different ships and to sell them to attract different types of people. This I personally think can only be good.

It seems that everyone is in agreement that Arcadia is not up to scratch as a P&O ship - especially if people are comparing her unfavourably with Oceania and the ex-P&O ship Adonia! As the father of a 3-year old I am unable to cruise on her without abandoning my family so cannot comment from personal experience, but let's hope that P&O are listening to the many negative comments and will take them on board before the launch of Ventura and during the planning of her successor.

I was somewhat surprised by the comments from Fellowcraft about the quality of food on Thomson Celebration - 2 years ago we sailed on Thomson Spirit and could not believe how appalling the food was!! We compare it with P&O and Celebrity and would put it lower than a decent transport caff! Food apart the cruise was excellent - service, accommodation, entertainment were all that we could have asked for - but for a decent meal we needed to go ashore at the ports of call around the Med.

Here we go again with the comments that everyone does not like Arcadia. This rely is an urban myth (if it were in a city) You clearly have not read all the posts. Arcadia is a lovely ship and is liked and appreciated by many cruisers.

Some very vocal P&O types did not like her from the start and have been trying to put people off since then. It is ridiculous. We were on her in October and were very impressed, as were the other passengers I asked, following some of the comments I had read. She is different to Oceana/Adonia/Aurora/old Arcadia (Ocean Village I)/Oriana/Artemis. That does not mean she is bad.

Being different is good we do not want 5 ships all the same, what is the point of that.

What is most annoyng is the fact that PandO Boy is saying this without even being on the ship

Beyond belief

As ever

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

I couldn’t agree more daiB, as no-one should really criticize something that they haven’t experienced for themselves.

We were on the last Arcadia’s final trip from Barbados back to Southampton, and had a fantastic time. That doesn’t mean we expect the new Arcadia to be exactly the same, and agree that it is good for the P&O fleet to have different ships, to appeal to as many people as possible.

If you search the web you are going to find a lot of people who have loved their time on the Arcadia. Yes you will find people complaining, but remember that people are more likely to document their complaints than they are to document their praise. I am afraid that that is just a fact of life.

Hi All

I started this thread about T Cooks cramped aircraft and I am sure that we all agree that P&O should stipulate better seat pitch for their valued customers, although it now seems that this problem is not unique to P&O and my comments about Arcadia are what I found on that "particular cruise".

PandO Boy reports that he unfortunately had appalling food on a Thomsons ship, I have never found appalling food on any ship, we did sail on Thomsons Emerald 7/8? yrs ago and the food was typically Thomson Hotel not cruise standared but not bad food, the food on Thomson Celebration (Feb 06) was quite good and as I have previously stated the breakfast bar was far better than that of the Arcadia's which showed signs of cost cutting, although as far as I am concerned the food that we have enjoyed the most was presented by Mr Martin Summerscales who was the Executive Chef on P&O'S Victoria (unfortunately he is not now with the company)

Mancunian and Dai B point out that many people do like the Arcadia, and Mancunian quotes "presumably their opinions are not worth cosidering "Not so!!!!!" that's what this site is all about, its to stimulate interest, to give opinions and information, you must follow your own instincts and hopefully afterwards report back to this site with your findings.

Let me say that having traveled on many different ships I personally was not overwhelmed with Arcadia: although Arcadia is not a bad ship, P&O don't run bad ships, its just that she could be so much better in so many little ways, if the customers can see this why can't P&O? I think the regular P&O customers can already see evidence of cost cutting by the parent company Carnival, and with the new bigger ship soon to arrive will it be a policy of pile it high and sell it cheap.

What say you!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the warning.Only looked at site today. Off to join Oceana repositioning cruse Friday . Will be prepared. MIde you last time I did a similar was to join Sundream, and was taken out by Garuda!

Hi Mancunian,

We join the Arcadia on 23rd February so the excitment of packing, airport and long flight still to come.

Cheers Petrochelli.:) :)

HI

we ve just got back from feb.23 barb.-acupulco the same cruise .

We flew from Manchester on Thomas Cook 330air bus flight out O.K. but return flight was hopeless. After the utter shambles at the air port were our flight was announced by staff holding a piece of paper with the flight no. on and walking about holding it over their head.My wife needed a wheel chair she hurt her knee and could walk so good a hard time getting one they pushed her too the plane i had too go by bus she had too struggle up the steps.P.O. changed our seats so she was near the toilet we ended up on the last seats 44A.B. our seats would not go back so we couldnot watch the t.v. as the set was was nearly on our nose but we could not get any sound on anyway. For 10-20 people at the back us inc. they ran out of food after a while they found some they said it was the crews. It was all different too the rest.

We really enjoyed the cruise and it didnot spoil the hoiday.Thought the ship was very nice it only lacked a good Atrium the food was not always tot in the Meridian and the service was sometimes slow. The shows and every thing else was very good.

Hope you enjed it.

Hi,:)

Returned from our Fly/Cruise on the Arcadia last week flew from Glasgow and got of to a bad start 4hours delay.When we finally took of at 13 15hrs leaving a drab and grey Glasgow behind we had been lucky that our travel agent had managed to get us a upgrade (at a price).

During the flight had a walkabout to see people crammed together in cattle class I certainly became a little concerned because our upgrade was only one way and this is what I had to look forward to!!!

Arrived in Barbados in the dark which resulted in no sightseeing on our way to the ship.Once we had been processed in the usual P&O manner we were allowed on board. Was about to enjoy a large duty free malt when we were called to boat drill. Dinner was next on the menu and it was excellent served by happy and cheerful staff.

After dinner took a stroll about the ship we were impressed with the decor, layout of bars, lounges and the ship in general.

During the days to follow we met some very nice people, enjoyed superb weather, ate all that was put in front of us and visited some nice places and had a great cruise, we would certainly recommend the Carribbean and the Arcadia.:)

The downside:(

Went to a show advertised as adult humour These guys did for comedy what Humpty Dumpty did for hang gliding.

On sea days you had to be lucky to find a bed without a towel on it after 9 o'clock and in a large number of cases a bum never sat on it till late afternoon.

Soft drinks are too expensive.

Shore excursions are overpriced.

Sadly denims in the dinning room at night (Shorts next year????)

If you go enjoy we did. Cheers Petrochelli.

Well we should see the end of this thread for this year, as Arcadia comes home in 3 weeks time. So there is only one lot to go out and one to come back. Then those on J706 will bring her back and the cattle class aircraft will be left behind.

We had an upgrade, on our return, when we took her over on J625. But we did not venture back to observe the stalls.

• 4 weeks later...

I have received a reply from P & O about my complaint re the flights for the New Year cruise on Arcadia to Acapulco. They were sorry we did not enjoy our flights but they confirmed that all the aircrafts they charter confirm to regulations - it does not look like they are planning any changes so be warned:eek:

This thread makes interesting reading. Many thanks to all the posters who have relayed their experiences.

After many P&O cruises directly out of Southampton, we are now looking to take a fly-cruise but I'm afraid that I'm not willing to take the risk regarding the cattle truck flight (a friend also had a similar experience with T Cook on a beach holiday in Cuba).

I'm now looking at other options/ cruise lines!

This thread makes interesting reading. Many thanks to all the posters who have relayed their experiences.

After many P&O cruises directly out of Southampton, we are now looking to take a fly-cruise but I'm afraid that I'm not willing to take the risk regarding the cattle truck flight (a friend also had a similar experience with T Cook on a beach holiday in Cuba).

I'm now looking at other options/ cruise lines!

Terry,

I have heard that some of the charter airlines are increasing the legroom on their long range flights. I am sure one was Thompsons and the firm they have taken over (or the other way round).

Perhaps things are looking up.

Having said that we will e cruising out of Southampton for at least the next 4 years. Unless of course.................

:cool:

Dai

Hi,

I have been told by my TA, that P&O are going to be using first choice for flights as well.

They have a good reputation for long haul flights & adverts on tv have them boasting they give more legroom than any other long haul flight. I have read the seat pitch is 33" & also thomsfly are increasing their long haul flight seat pitch to 33".

Hopefully the flights will be a lot better, fingers crossed.

Lisa:)

P&O should get their act together with regards to their terrible charter flights. With so much competiton from other cruiselines you'd think they would listen to complaints.I will always stick with a cruiseline that can offer me a cruise only or a decent package with scheduled flight.Whilst there are so many blinkered passengers continuing to sail with P&O it is unlikely things will improve.

Hi,

I have been told by my TA, that P&O are going to be using first choice for flights as well.

They have a good reputation for long haul flights & adverts on tv have them boasting they give more legroom than any other long haul flight. I have read the seat pitch is 33" & also thomsfly are increasing their long haul flight seat pitch to 33".

Hopefully the flights will be a lot better, fingers crossed.

Lisa:)

Thats the ones I was thinking about:)

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

P&O should get their act together with regards to their terrible charter flights. With so much competiton from other cruiselines you'd think they would listen to complaints.I will always stick with a cruiseline that can offer me a cruise only or a decent package with scheduled flight.Whilst there are so many blinkered passengers continuing to sail with P&O it is unlikely things will improve.

Well seattlelover,

So its our fault:mad:. Do you think that P&O cruisers just lie down and cry hit me again when things are wrong.:mad: Have you read the CC (P&O) boards every winter.

Well if you have not P&O have because they do react and perhaps if you read Lisa's post you may see a change is coming. Or can you not see in that direction.

I get a bit ********* off :mad:with those who do not like P&O for some reason always having a go.

Some of us have chosen to cruise with P&O because we like it that is our choice and we do not deserve to be attacked because of that choice.

I would never be aggressive to someone who always went with RCI or Princess and I would never put their cruise line down or them for choosing it.

I wonder what it is that engenders such loyalty. They must be doing something right.

Enjoy your cruising I know I shall enjoy mine.

Dai

Well seattlelover,

So its our fault:mad:. Do you think that P&O cruisers just lie down and cry hit me again when things are wrong.:mad: Have you read the CC (P&O) boards every winter.

Well if you have not P&O have because they do react and perhaps if you read Lisa's post you may see a change is coming. Or can you not see in that direction.

I get a bit ********* off :mad:with those who do not like P&O for some reason always having a go.

Some of us have chosen to cruise with P&O because we like it that is our choice and we do not deserve to be attacked because of that choice.

I would never be aggressive to someone who always went with RCI or Princess and I would never put their cruise line down or them for choosing it.

I wonder what it is that engenders such loyalty. They must be doing something right.

Enjoy your cruising I know I shall enjoy mine.

Dai

Clam down Dai!

I am a P&O addict just like you but I did not read in to Bev's post that she was attacking people who took P&O's cruises (she said a number were blinkered, but not all, but that is just an opinion, not a fact). Bev is entitled to her opinion as we are ours. I love P&O but if others don't, no problem! I happen not to like cruising on the American ships as much as the Brit ones, but that is my view. It is true that if we P&O lovers do not complain then there will be no resolution to issues. Many of us have complained and now things are changing (chartered flights). Whether they will actually improve or whether the action is a result of complaints is another thing!

Gerry

Clam down Dai!

I am a P&O addict just like you but I did not read in to Bev's post that she was attacking people who took P&O's cruises (she said a number were blinkered, but not all, but that is just an opinion, not a fact). Bev is entitled to her opinion as we are ours. I love P&O but if others don't, no problem! I happen not to like cruising on the American ships as much as the Brit ones, but that is my view. It is true that if we P&O lovers do not complain then there will be no resolution to issues. Many of us have complained and now things are changing (chartered flights). Whether they will actually improve or whether the action is a result of complaints is another thing!

Gerry

:DCalm I am like a pussy cat:rolleyes:.

However we may have to differ on this and the quote I object to is as follows:-

"Whilst there are so many blinkered passengers continuing to sail"

Blinkered to what, I think it implies P&O's faults. I like many others know what the faults are but it does not stop me cruising with P&O but Bev seems to think that there is something wrong with this loyalty.

I am sorry but i have noticed that a number of people with little or no P&O experience do like to have digs at the company and its cruisers.

As I said I would never and as far as I know have never 'had a go' at any other cruise line or any other person using a different cruise line. Which is why I do not understand the above sentence. Should we all stop using P&O because some people have found it uncomfortable or inconvenient?

Anyway rant over, I shall descend from my hobby horse and put it away for today.

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

following this with interest - we are so used to flying BA dumbo that a teenie plane for longhaul 11 hours flight may concern mum as she has restless legs syndrome

Hi MK From MK,

Did you know about the possibility of an upgrade in the plane. You can pay £150 each way for the premium cabin with wider seats and more pitch. But you need to get in quick.

We did this and it was fine on our Thomas Cook flight.

It all depends who you are flying with as I said before some of the carriers are now giving more leg room. The ones mentioned are 'First Choice' and 'Thompsons'. Your TA should be able to find out for you. Otherwise I would go for the upgrade if your mother has a problem.

And the planes are not teenie they are usually Airbus 330's, I think thats it, with about 250 seats. They are one down from a Jumbo.

Dai

Archived