Liberty

KIDS LUV CRUISIN

We leave next Saturday, 1/20

We are booked for a snorkle tour at Tequila Beach along with a day pass there in Costa Maya

We are booked with Charlie Soto for his tour and zip-lining in Costa Rica

We are booked thru CCL for the Panama Canal tour (I usually will not book thru the cruise line, but this tour is late getting back sometimes according to what I have learned from these boards, and I did not want to take a chance CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK)

I will post a review after we get back

Has Anyone Been On The Liberty To Costa Rica And Panama Yet?

What Did U Do For Shore Trips ?

Kids Luv Cruisin,

In Costa Rica we went with Charlie Soto and did and saw a little bit of everything. I highly recommend him.

In Panama we did the Two Oceans By Railroad excursion through Carnival and it's a great excursion.

Follow the links below for pics from our cruise:

CLICK HERE for our Costa Rica album

CLICK HERE for our Panama album

THANK YOU

WE HAVE 2 KIDS AN DWE WERE LOOKING INTO THE SAME TOUR GROUP 4 COSTA RICA. WAS THE TOUR THAT U WENT ON THE RAIN FOREST AND BANANA PLANTATIONS?

DID YOU LIKE THAT TOUR?

DO FEEL THE ZIP LINE TOUR WERE NOT GOOD 4 YOUNG KIDS ( MINE R 8 AND 10)

DID U SEE THE PANAMA CANAL ?

KIDS LUV CRUISIN,

In Costa Rica with Charlie, we did the rain forest, banana plantation, river tour, and Bonita Beach. We skipped the zip line because our five year old was below the age limit. I think our nine and eleven year old boys would have been fine on the zip line and our five year old would have as well, but he's a little more physical than most kids his age. :)

We got lucky and met Charlie on the pier and went with him. Everyone in our CC roll call was going with Charlie and I'd researched him, but I did not contact him prior to meeting him on the pier. He's a very nice and hard working man.

Yes, we saw pretty much the entire canal from one end to the other and toured the locks on the Pacific side.

Has Anyone Been On The Liberty To Costa Rica And Panama Yet?

What Did U Do For Shore Trips ?

We were on the Liberty Nov 25th, this past year. In Costa Rica we choose to tour on our own, which always involves some risk, but we were quite happy with our tour guide. We spent the day going around the City and local countryside and to the Chiquita banana plantation. Pretty cool. You can find tour guides for "Everything" as soon as you get off the ship. In Panama we did the Coast to Coast railroad tour and stopped at the Miraflores Locks on the Pacific side. Yes, you see a LOT of the canal and if you're lucky, you'll get to see the locks in operation on the Pacific side where the train stops. The transcontinental railroad is really cool and if you have kids, they'll love it. This was a Carnival tour which means "expensive" but it was well worth it. Hope this helps.:)

Brent

Check out the Costa Rica Boards. We went with Oscar Brown. To be quite honest this guy gives you your money's worth. Plus he will take you wherever you wish. We didn't do the zip line but we did almost everything else. I think it was $45pp. At the end we went to a nice restaurant on top of a hill overlooking the ship about 10 miles away. The food was outstanding, and quite reasonable $45 for 5 people including beer. There was a collection for the band. Try him I guarantee his tour.

If your going to Colon Panama ONLY take a ship excursion. There is a lot of talk about how dangerous Colon really is, and I believe them. There is a safe shopping area next to the pier where you'll be docked. And it's quite extensive. BUT outside that area is a very seedy and dangerous area you shouldn't wanter into. We did the Embarra Indian tour which was a real hoot.

FF

We were on the Liberty Christmas cruise and did the Green Train and Rainforest excursion in Costa Rica. The train had to turn back after about a mile when the tracks were under water. We continued by bus to the rainforest which we all enjoyed except it poured (that's why they call it a rainforest, I guess). Saw sloths, bats, lots of birds and ever a monkey. Carnival automatically refunded us 50% for missing the Green Train without asking.

In Panama, we did the Panama Canal which I found very interesting. My wife and kids became bored since you have a 2 hour bus ride (hope you have a big bladder), and 3 hour boat ride through 2 of the 3 locks and then a ride on Gatun Lake and a 2 hour bus ride back to the ship. Also, the excursion started at 7am after losing an hour's sleep with the time change. Everyone was bleary eyed.

In Costa Maya, we did the jungle ride and beach break. Really the only place on this cruise with a beach. The beach was very nice and the ride interesting only because of our guide. We then went to Mahahual, a small town for shopping and then back to the ship. This is the only port with any shopping. There is a Diamonds International and a few other shops.

These were not our favorite ports. All three are very poverty stricken. Limon and Colon are downright dangerous if you want to walk around. One passenger was shot walking around Costa Rica when he resisted a robber. Fortunately, he was just grazed and returned to the ship. The only options are really to schedule an excursion. This trip really made us appreciate what we have. There were interesting things to see. If you like ruins, this is the place to be. If you are looking for beaches, run, don't walk to another itinerary. I'm glad that we did it but wouldn't return. Loved the Liberty,though.

• 1 month later...

Archived