Cingular users who have used their cell on cruises

Buddyjay16

I'm really having a hard time deciding what to do. I want to take my cellphone in case of an emergency. Plus we'll be in Florida two 1/2 extra days and I can use it then.

I'm a Realtor and even though my outgoing message is going to tell callers to not leave a message and give them directions to contact my associate, I'm afraid people might still leave messages.

My family (my dh and son are not going) knows to leave messages in case of an emergency. We will be communicating via email to let each other know we are doing fine.

If I do not answer my voicemails while gone will I still be charged for these calls? If so I might be forced to switch phones with my dh. Just a royal pain as I have a treo phone that is complicated for my dh. The only one that ever calls him is me so I know I won't have to worry about voicemails on the ship. Plus I love my treo and use the features all the time.

Anyone with experience that uses Cingular? Also I think if I get the international package that my texts should I need to use in emergency are only .50 Cents. Does anyone know?

THANKS!

As long as you don't call your voicemail, you don't get charged. Text messages are the same price BUT, you will get access fees from whomever the local provider is. You won't see Cingular as the provider in any foreign ports.

Which ship are you on? If sailing where "cellular at sea" is offered, my understanding is that you will charged any time your phone rings. We were instructed to leave our phone turned off to avoid charges. I did call my provider (T-Mobile) to get per minute rates for the islands we were visiting, so I knew I could check voicemail or make calls and control the cost. But that is OFF the ship. While on many ships, cellular at sea provides the service, it is billed to your cell phone account and adds up very quickly. (For T-Mobile it is $4.99 per minute).

I'm really having a hard time deciding what to do. I want to take my cellphone in case of an emergency. Plus we'll be in Florida two 1/2 extra days and I can use it then.

I'm a Realtor and even though my outgoing message is going to tell callers to not leave a message and give them directions to contact my associate, I'm afraid people might still leave messages.

My family (my dh and son are not going) knows to leave messages in case of an emergency. We will be communicating via email to let each other know we are doing fine.

If I do not answer my voicemails while gone will I still be charged for these calls? If so I might be forced to switch phones with my dh. Just a royal pain as I have a treo phone that is complicated for my dh. The only one that ever calls him is me so I know I won't have to worry about voicemails on the ship. Plus I love my treo and use the features all the time.

Anyone with experience that uses Cingular? Also I think if I get the international package that my texts should I need to use in emergency are only .50 Cents. Does anyone know?

THANKS!

There may be a roaming charge from the cruise line for being able to use their system. I am not 100% sure about this though.

I happened to call Cingular just yesterday because I want to add international roaming to my phone for my upcoming cruise. They cautioned me about your very question. The simple answer is that yes, you will be charged per minute if a voice mail is left on your phone while you're out at sea. The rate is $2.49/minute on board the ship. So, for instance, you leave your phone on in your cabin and someone calls while you're out to dinner and a show so it goes to voice mail. You will pay the $2.49 per minute until you check your voice mail. You wouldn't be charged for a missed call, though. You'll be charged only if it goes to voice mail.

So, for instance, you leave your phone on in your cabin and someone calls while you're out to dinner and a show so it goes to voice mail. You will pay the $2.49 per minute until you check your voice mail. You wouldn't be charged for a missed call, though. You'll be charged only if it goes to voice mail.

If the phone is turned off (which would cause any calls to go straight to voice mail), are there any charges? I plan to leave my phone turned off but I'm wondering if someone leave me a voice mail if I'll be charged for that. Seems like I read somewhere on theses boards that there is a charge whether the phone is on or off.

Well, honestly, you should probably call Cingular and ask them because $2.49/min will add up fast. I have had my phone with me on every cruise and have never been charged when it was off. But, the Cingular rep specifically mentioned the voice mail issue. This won't affect me personally because I disengaged voice mail. I just monitor my phone for missed calls and call them back, skipping voice mail. The rep said there was no charge for missed calls. He also told me that any time your phone takes the signal from the ship you will pay $2.49/minute, providing you're cruise ship has a cell tower. Even if you're docked stateside, your phone may still grab a signal from the ship so be careful. You may think you're calling for free or regular rates and find you're really paying $2.49/minute. Yikes! Happy Cruising!

Well, honestly, you should probably call Cingular and ask them because $2.49/min will add up fast. I have had my phone with me on every cruise and have never been charged when it was off. But, the Cingular rep specifically mentioned the voice mail issue. This won't affect me personally because I disengaged voice mail. I just monitor my phone for missed calls and call them back, skipping voice mail. The rep said there was no charge for missed calls. He also told me that any time your phone takes the signal from the ship you will pay $2.49/minute, providing you're cruise ship has a cell tower. Even if you're docked stateside, your phone may still grab a signal from the ship so be careful. You may think you're calling for free or regular rates and find you're really paying $2.49/minute. Yikes! Happy Cruising!

It is my understanding that the ship's tower is turned off anytime the ship is in port in order to avoid situations such as those that you have described.

If the phone is turned off (which would cause any calls to go straight to voice mail), are there any charges? I plan to leave my phone turned off but I'm wondering if someone leave me a voice mail if I'll be charged for that. Seems like I read somewhere on theses boards that there is a charge whether the phone is on or off.

I have Cingular and I was not charged when the phone was turned off and I got a voicemail. The only time that I was charged was when I used the phone at sea. The display said "cingular at sea". I did not incur any extra charges in port, even in San Juan and St. thomas, since they are US territories.

Archived