Wo should be get to take us to Rockland Bird Sanctuary

CruiseDiva0319

We want to go to Rockland Bird Sanctuary then to Doctors Cave Beach to spend the day. Can anyone tell me the best way to get there? I e-mailed Barrett Adventures, but they require six hours minimum for a custom tour. We heard this place is off the beaten path, and some taxi drivers don't want to drive there. I will have my son, sister and mother and father with me. Is there a way to arrange for a driver to be waiting for us when we get off the ship?

Also, any suggestions at all on going to Rockland would be appreciated.

The bird sanctuary is up in the hills above MoBay, it is quite peaceful there. It is a delight to have one of the birds light on your finger to drink from small bottle. You'll most likely be seeing up close our national bird (the Streamertailed Hummingbird - also called the Doctor Bird) and the mango hummingbird...finches too will alight on your knees when the caretaker sprinkles you with seed for them to eat...don't worry, it doesn't hurt!

The road to the sanctuary can be an adventure...it is quite rough, more of a 'goat path' than a road at some points, but any driver with a vehicle in good condition can make it. These kinds of roads do give vehicles a thrashing...that's why some drivers prefer not to do the 'off the beaten path' trips, but rather standard trips on 'city roads'.

Be sure to take cameras, either digital or video ones. You may also see the Jamaican woodpecker, and a variety of other birds. It's best to get there around 9-10am before people come in the afternoons and the birds are already full!

CruiseDiva, (or anyone)...if you want to see some photos of Rocklands and the hummingbirds, drop me a line and I'll give you the link to our photos that I've been working to get online. Not all of the albums are complete, but Rocklands is there. (s_kerr@anbell.net)

Did alot of reading and A-Z Planners comes highly recommended. They have an excursion where they pick you up from your ship, take you to Rockland Bird Sanctuary, then to lunch, then to Doctors Cave Beach, followed by shopping, and back to the ship. The price is $52 per person. You can pay an extra $5 per person for a private party.

Of course, we could do this ourselves for much cheaper. Any suggestions on what to do? I'm nervous about getting a taxi on our own to and from Rockland Bird Sanctuary. Am I worrying too much, or would I be better off paying for comfort, safety and peace of mind with A-Z Planners?

Did alot of reading and A-Z Planners comes highly recommended. They have an excursion where they pick you up from your ship, take you to Rockland Bird Sanctuary, then to lunch, then to Doctors Cave Beach, followed by shopping, and back to the ship. The price is $52 per person. You can pay an extra $5 per person for a private party.

Of course, we could do this ourselves for much cheaper. Any suggestions on what to do? I'm nervous about getting a taxi on our own to and from Rockland Bird Sanctuary. Am I worrying too much, or would I be better off paying for comfort, safety and peace of mind with A-Z Planners?

We used A-Z Planners last week - we went to Mayfield Falls and the Rockland Bird Sanctuary. There wasn't a set tour for that, we just asked Belinda at A-Z and she said "No problem!"

A-Z was EXCELLENT. The vehicle was fairly new, clear, A/C, held our group of 7 no problem. Our driver, Jackson, was very personable, pointing out various local sites, and stopping occasionally to grab a leaf or fruit to show us.

Mayfield Falls was a little bit of a distance, but Jackson's commentary made it not seem that long. The road there got worse and worse, but we got there fine. The Falls are great- I liked them 100X better than Dunn's River. They were a lot less touristy, less treacherous but still a lot of fun. You had your own guide for your group, whether you were a group of 2 or 10. No chain-holding hands to get up. You could stop to jump in pools, etc. It was beautiful clean mineral water.

Rockland Bird Sanctuary, also off the beaten path. Small and quiet, very peaceful, and the hummingbirds really do drink the sugar water right from your hand!

Someone else on our ship used A-Z to go to the bird sanctuary, shopping, and lunch, and they were quite happy with them as well. If you want to do a combination of stops that isn't listed on their website, just ask, and they'll get back to you with a price.

• 3 months later...

DorothyH, thank you for answering my questions on your Mariner Roll call thread. Rather than posting again on that thread and interrupting it, I am posting my thanks on this thread, since you indicated you would watch for any posts to this thread too.

I do have a couple of other questions. How long was your total tour? Do you remember how much time you spent at Mayfield Falls (including travel) and then how much time at Rockland? Did you do any shopping anywhere? Thanks.

I do have a couple of other questions. How long was your total tour? Do you remember how much time you spent at Mayfield Falls (including travel) and then how much time at Rockland? Did you do any shopping anywhere? Thanks.

The total tour - we left at approx. 7:45-8:00 AM and we returned to the ship I think around 2:30ish.

Mayfield Falls took awhile to get to - at least 60-90 min. But the trip out there was truly half the fun; we got a running commentary on the foliage, the history, etc. etc. of everything we were passing. And that little road to get out to the falls - :eek: Jackson assured us that he had done this trip many many times with no accidents. LOL

At the falls themselves, we spent a couple of hours there from what I remember?? It was not rushed at all. Our driver waited at the entrance; we could take as long as we wanted. At the hummingbird sanctuary, we were there probably about an hour. The hummingbird place is very informal - you can stay 15 minutes or 3 hours. Rockland was not that far from the ship -under 1/2 hr.

We did not do any shopping, but Jackson our driver would have taken us shopping if we wanted to go...I think we had a little bit of time before the ship left. We were tired though and just wanted to get back!

If you are interested in Mayfield Falls, the Hummingbird Sanctuary, and shopping, you can email Belinda and find out if that is do-able. They were very accomodating to whatever it is we wanted to do.

Archived