Where is the incredible snorkeling?

shannonh

We are arriving on the Norwegian Sun in February for our third time in Belize. The first time we did cave tubbing with Extreme, which was awesome. The second time we snorkeled with Coral Breeze. This time we would like to see some incredible snorkeling. We have visited Roatan and feel that is the best snorkeling we have ever seen. I know that Belize is situated on an amazing reef. Where do we need to go, and how would we get there, so that we can have a really good snorkeling experience? Thanks for any snorkeling suggestions. We are diehard snorkelers.

We are arriving on the Norwegian Sun in February for our third time in Belize. The first time we did cave tubbing with Extreme, which was awesome. The second time we snorkeled with Coral Breeze. This time we would like to see some incredible snorkeling. We have visited Roatan and feel that is the best snorkeling we have ever seen. I know that Belize is situated on an amazing reef. Where do we need to go, and how would we get there, so that we can have a really good snorkeling experience? Thanks for any snorkeling suggestions. We are diehard snorkelers.

Shannonh--Hi! I can not answer your question, but have one of my own. We booked with Coral Breeze. Was it not worth it? Did they not take you to great snorkelling? We have snorkelled quite a bit and don't want to end up with a ho hum experience.

Thanks,

Cyndi

I have seen so many great reviews of Coral Breeze, so I know that others had a much better experience than ours. In defense of Coral Breeze, some of it had to do with the fact that there was a very, very strong wind so the snorkeling was very "ho hum". We are used to better conditions and seeing a lot more sea life. To add to it, the motor on the boat would not start and they had to hand crank it each time (and luckily they knew how). It wasn't particularly relaxing because of this. They also had us wear a very uncomfortable flotation device. It was an old boating vest that you would normally wear around your neck. They had us put it around our waist and then turn it around so that the bottom of the vest stuck straight up (which acted as a sail under the wind conditions). Also, it made it very difficult to get around in the water. This was last February and I am sure that they have upgraded, hopefully. This time we are hoping for a better snorkeling experience.

I have seen so many great reviews of Coral Breeze, so I know that others had a much better experience than ours. In defense of Coral Breeze, some of it had to do with the fact that there was a very, very strong wind so the snorkeling was very "ho hum". We are used to better conditions and seeing a lot more sea life. To add to it, the motor on the boat would not start and they had to hand crank it each time (and luckily they knew how). It wasn't particularly relaxing because of this. They also had us wear a very uncomfortable flotation device. It was an old boating vest that you would normally wear around your neck. They had us put it around our waist and then turn it around so that the bottom of the vest stuck straight up (which acted as a sail under the wind conditions). Also, it made it very difficult to get around in the water. This was last February and I am sure that they have upgraded, hopefully. This time we are hoping for a better snorkeling experience.

Shannonh--Thank you! We carry our own snorkel vest so at least we can take care of that part. Hopefully it will be good conditions and we will see a lot!! Hopefully they have update the motors on the boats!! :)

Thanks!

Cyndi

We went to St. George's Caye Lodge when we were there last month and had a wonderful time. They are a scuba resort, but do snorkeling also. We got a day room for my husband who doesn't like to snorkle. My daughter and son-in-law and two granddaughters and I all went out for a private trip to the reef. There were only two other people there, so it was very private. The guide was wonderful and took us afterward to a sandbar so the girls could play in the water.

The room was great - a thatched cabin over the water - just like I've seen pictures in Tahiti. My granddaughter had such a great time walking on the beach and collecting seashells...so many seashells - I haven't seen that many and different kinds since I was a little girl. One of the advantages of a private island! She proclaimed it as the "best day of her whole life"!!!!

Check it out at http://www.gooddiving.com

We were so happy to have chosen this alternative over being on one of the ship's excursions to a crowded little caye. They picked us up outside the cruise dock and took us to their boat and returned us at night. Not a very long trip either ( I had read that some of the cayes were quite a distance away).

We went to St. George's Caye Lodge when we were there last month and had a wonderful time. They are a scuba resort, but do snorkeling also. We got a day room for my husband who doesn't like to snorkle. My daughter and son-in-law and two granddaughters and I all went out for a private trip to the reef. There were only two other people there, so it was very private. The guide was wonderful and took us afterward to a sandbar so the girls could play in the water.

The room was great - a thatched cabin over the water - just like I've seen pictures in Tahiti. My granddaughter had such a great time walking on the beach and collecting seashells...so many seashells - I haven't seen that many and different kinds since I was a little girl. One of the advantages of a private island! She proclaimed it as the "best day of her whole life"!!!!

Check it out at www.gooddiving.com

We were so happy to have chosen this alternative over being on one of the ship's excursions to a crowded little caye. They picked us up outside the cruise dock and took us to their boat and returned us at night. Not a very long trip either ( I had read that some of the cayes were quite a distance away).

The website looks great but I don't see any day rates. I see the $15 per hour snorkeling, but how much to get to and from the caye and what does the day there include. Could you please give an estimate of the prices. Thanks

You will need to e-mail with your specifics for a price. I think for four adults and two children we paid $400 for transportation to and from St. George's from the pier, a day room, and a private snorkeling trip. It was an all day excursion and a great deal when compared to going with a hundred people on a ship's excursion for only 3 or 4 hours which I think would have cost at least $60 each. For only $65 each, we got a wonderful private excursion. I highly recommend it! If there are fewer people, it might cost more per person, but I would still do it again for just the two of us if we go there again!

Write them or call and get a price.

Archived