RCCL "Ultra-Clean" procedures when Norovirus on ship

nlooser

You are absolutely right nordic30.

A long time ago I read in a Dutch health magazine that there IS some sort of a relationship between Hep. A and stomach viruses like Norovirus. These virussen have the same symptoms and causes, it's absolutely not the same virus, but the Hep A vaccination will reduce the chance of getting the Norovirus. These are not my words, but it was a conclusion of that article.

For travelers, Hep A is one of the most important vaccinations here in the Netherlands.

Maybe something to consider...

Oh and cut your fingernails! You can wash your hands hundred times a day, but it's meaningless if you have long fingernails.

We sailed the Legend January 13-20, embarking a week after the OP debarked. I can only speak for the experience I had on the 1/13 sailing, but I found the Captain and crew to be very proactive, doing everything possible to avoid an outbreak. Clear gel stuff was everywhere, certainly at the entrances of all food venues, and the staff was forthright about asking you to use them. The Captain addressed the issue every day in his announcements and every Compass noted the precautions that pax should take. From lunch on the day we embarked through day 4, staff served food in the Windjammer. The Captain specifically said that they were monitoring for Norovirus (through the onboard medical facility), and that if there was no outbreak, the Windjammer would return to self-service, which it did on Wednesday.

I cannot find fault with any of the measures that RCCL employed on my cruise to prevent a Noro outbreak. They were presumably successful as I did not hear of a single case. The heightened awareness of good hygiene surely motivated some people to take action that might not have done so otherwise. Unfortunately, there are some who will not comply no matter what.

As other have said, if the ship does its part and you personally do your part, you will greatly reduce the chances of contracting Norovirus or facilitating an outbreak. However, you can't reduce your risk to zero. In all honesty, I was worried about Noro before our cruise. Now I know that as long as I do my part, I'm as safe as I can be. I won't worry next time, but I will still be vigilant.

Jim

Archived