Alaska in May

arljay

We need to know what type of clothing will be necessary for the May 26th Diamond Princess sailing. Mainly the on shore clothing.

To stand on the deck while sailing will a VERY heavy coat be necessary?

Thanks, Arljay Out 60th cruise but first in Alaska

arljay: Suggest you go to the Alaska Ports of Call board, I'm sure this question is on there many times. I cruised Alaska in early May a few years ago. No, you don't need a heavy coat for on deck, except for any day you are cruising one of the Glacier's..then it's COLD. However, the weight limit for the airlines is so strick, you are probably better off packing a long sleeve t-shirt and a sweatshirt. You will probably want gloves and a hat for glacier viewing on-deck and if you go dog sledding up on the glacier somewhere.

When we were there it was shorts weather in Juneau, and rainy and damp in Sitka. Jeans and a light shirt were all that was required to go horse back ridiing in Skagway and even that was a little warm. I did my mile every morning on the upper deck track (about 6:00 AM) and wore a light sweatshirt over a t-shirt with jogging pants. It was very comfortable.

The secret to Alaska is dressing in LAYERS.

We did Alaska in May 2002 with Princess, doing the land portion first then the first southbound cruise of the season. We were super lucky and the weather was beautiful! (It was alomost 80 in Anchorage) If you are doing the land portion, Mt McKinley is more likely to be out (no clouds hiding the peaks) since the summer weather patterns haven't started.

I agree that layers are the way to go. I wore sweater sets and a leather jacket most of the time. The mornings in Glacier Bay and College Fiord were COLD and misty but we had some of the thin long underwear (Cuddleduds) under jeans and a sweatshirt with hats and gloves of course.

A lot of the time on shore we were blessed with warm temps and no rain. I will say that some friends went about the same time in 2006 and had more rain that we had. I will also say that we did overpack, taking a heavy winter coat besides our leather jackets, and we each had rain suits which we never unpacked. If I go again (I will after Italy/greece and Austrailia/NZ) I will just take layers and some disposable rain ponchos for the Dollar Store. They don't weigh much and are easy to pack and carry on shore during a trip. Take a couple sets and you can toss them if you use them.

Have a wonderful time. Alaska truly is a beautiful part of the world.

We first did Alaska in early June of 1999 and it was sunny the whole time...prefect weather.

We did it again last May of 2006. The week before and week after us was rainy and cold but during our cruise, we were totally blessed with the sun! It only rained for 15 mintutes in Ketchen. :)

Yes, dress in layers. Despite the sun, I was wearing in layers because early morning and evening were cold.

Archived