WOOHOO! We have our own snorkel equip. now!

Grits53

DH and I went to Bass Pro yesterday and were surprised to find a decent selection of snorkeling equipment. We are very much newbies at this and have no ambition to become the pros that many of you are. But we still wanted our own masks and snorkel tubes for sanitary reasons. I didn't think we'd be able to find a decent set in my area, but we did. I got the "Sport" model mask and dry tube set for $19.99. My DH liked the mask better in the "Pro" set, which was $29.99. We didn't buy fins, because when trudging around the ports, we thought they'd just be too bulky to carry around. We will rent those. Anyway, I am excited to have my own gear. I wanted to post this here, because others like myself might not realize they can buy them at such a reasonable price. Also, thank you to the ones who posted on my "where to buy" thread a few days ago! You were most helpful! :D (I think I'll go fill up the bathtub and snorkel. LOL!)

Grits53:

I am so glad you got your own stuff so easily! That's what great about Cruise Critic -- ask a question and get lots of help. I know I've benefited from lurkign around the threads. That Bass Pro in LA was sure cool when we were there a couple years ago... they are building one here in the Phoenix area and I can't wait!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where woudl you put it all?":D

fiance and i are thinking about buying our own equipment too. this will be his first cruise and my second. my only question is how do you get out to the ocean? or do you just snorkel off the beach? i've been snorkeling at palancar reef in cozumel and want to go again, but do we still have to rent a boat to get out there?

fiance and i are thinking about buying our own equipment too. this will be his first cruise and my second. my only question is how do you get out to the ocean? or do you just snorkel off the beach? i've been snorkeling at palancar reef in cozumel and want to go again, but do we still have to rent a boat to get out there?

Ben and Elena,

Depending on where you are going, you could either do one of the ships shore excursions, arrange your own through an independent operator, or go find a good location to go off the beach. All depends on your port of call. If you tell us your ports of call, you well get PLENTY of feedback as to what you should do.

Have a great trip,

Roger

thanks roger. we're cruising may 6th on RCCL Rhapsody OS to cozumel, costa maya, roatan and progreso. I've been on a cruise to cozumel before and want to snorkel palancar reef again. I know we will need a boat to get us out there and we will probably book with a independent at palancar beach. they only take groups of 8 at a time. I've heard that the snorkeling in costa maya is no so great, but what about progreso? in roatan we are thinking or zip line, but is the snorkeling good there too? thanks for the advice!

I've heard that the snorkeling in costa maya is no so great, but what about progreso? in roatan we are thinking or zip line, but is the snorkeling good there too? thanks for the advice!

I don't know about the snorkeling in Costa Maya or Progresso, but Iloved the snorkeling in Roatan.

Click on the webshots link in my signature for Roatan snorkeling pics.

Palancar sounds like a good place to snorkel, from what I've read on the boards. Since there will be 7 ships in port the day we're in Cozumel, I'm thinking I should probably stick with a Carnival sponsored excursion. I wish someone could tell me if the Carnival 3 Reef Snorkel by boat excursion goes to Palancar Reef. Surely if it goes to 3 reefs, at least one of them will be good!

Archived