Have you ever brought a coffee pot?

In the Pink

We were on the Golden Princess over Christmas and I had heard that the coffee was bad, so I brought my 4-cup Mr. Coffee. I only used it once because there were four of us in our quad cabin. I was always the first one up and I didn't want to wake up everyone else just make a pot of coffee. It sat right on the vanity so I know our steward saw it, he never said anything.

No problem! I just happen to know because I have my cruise docs in my hot little hands and it's listed under the "What Not to Bring" section along with candles, illegal drugs, and explosives.

Well there goes my idea to launch flaming rockets and burning schoolhouses off our aft cabin balcony by candlelight while doing a couple hooka pipes with DH.

{vbg}

Viv

Hi Marla,

I take my Cuisinart 2-to-go coffeemaker. It has 2 insulated tall mugs with lids and no hot plate on the bottom. It shuts off as soon as the coffee is finished dripping. You can make just one mug if you prefer. I got the last one online. It's under $40 and it came in handy on Royal Caribbean and Princess cruises. I think the coffee on those ships is made from a liquid concentrate. YUK! It is lightweight so I carry it on with my coffee, sugar, filters, a tall drink spoon for stirring. I even bring my own cream with blue ice packs (small) to keep cold til we board. I just want my own coffee when I wake and I want it quickly. I buy my water when I run out of what I brought with me.

Bon Voyage!

Wouldn't that still taste like instant?

On finer restaurants, the waiter will bring your coffee in a French press and push the plunger in front of you. I seldom drink coffee but boy it does taste good. A lot has to do with the quality of the beans. The reason you need a coarse grind is to prevent the coffee from going through the steel wire mesh. As to a fine grind for espresso and cappuccino coffees.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. I learn that lesson a long time ago.

frenchcoffeepress.jpg

I'm not knocking it at all, but if I'm going to invest in new equipment, I'd rather invest in something I know the results of, that's all.

That's a rather wise move on your part and can understand your hesitation. I probably would not have bought one without first tasting the at a restaurant first (which in this case we did).

Here's another option, and one that we've successfully done numerous times:

Bring a decent-quality thermos, ask your cabin steward to fill it with fresh coffee as he's going off duty at night (as late as possible), and leave it for you in your cabin. Tip him accordingly (if you wish) at the beginning of the cruise.

Each cruise we've done this, our cabin steward has set up a fresh tray with cups, cream/sugar, etc. The thermos coffee is still very hot and fresh, to enjoy at your convenience the next morning. :)

a French Press makes the best coffee you will find... If the coffee is ground just right and the water is very hot. If not it is no better than an auto drip and can be much worse.

I always bring a 4 cup Cuisinart with a stainless steel carafe; as well as all of the supplies, including bottled water (I don't much care for the ships water, and think this is why I don't care for their coffee.). The SS carafe is great because it can't break. It has an auto shut off so it is not a fire hazard. And I have never have a cabin steward say anything about my having it in my cabin.

Here is a link to the one I have http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/product.php?product_id=7&item_id=17&cat_id=3

In my opinion there is nothing like having the coffee you love while sitting on the balcony and watching the sun rise.

The rules are the rules, if the cruiseline wanted coffee makers in the rooms, they wouldn't specifically state to NOT BRING irons, coffeemakers, etc. It may not even be the fire hazard, it might just be the electricity usage, if everyone brought their own and plugged them in at the same time. This sounds like the booze smugglers, only you're talking coffee.

It never ceases to amaze me that people want to do what they want to do regardless of the rules. They seem to think the rules apply to everyone else, not them.:confused:

The rules are the rules, if the cruiseline wanted coffee makers in the rooms, they wouldn't specifically state to NOT BRING irons, coffeemakers, etc. It may not even be the fire hazard, it might just be the electricity usage, if everyone brought their own and plugged them in at the same time. This sounds like the booze smugglers, only you're talking coffee.

It never ceases to amaze me that people want to do what they want to do regardless of the rules. They seem to think the rules apply to everyone else, not them.:confused:

I certainly don't think rules are not for me, and if you knew me at all, you'd know that I'm very much a "rule person", so please don't make assumptions about me. I've already stated that I didn't realize that the rules prohibited coffee makers when I posted the question.

If, however, the rule is due to a fire hazard and I can take something that doesn't present one, then I don't see a problem. Nor do I think that if the electricity usage was the problem, that coffee makers would be listed as an item not to carry on along with candles, irons and explosives!

If, on the other hand, that the scenario you present is actually the case, then maybe they would also have banned laptops, cellphone chargers, CD players, DVD players, and a host of other electronic equipment that people take along with them on cruises, so I don't think that's it either.

I also have brought my little 4 cup coffee maker with me before and did not know that it was "forbidden". My ONLY reason is that I truly hate ship coffee and I truly love my own coffee (strength)!!! I'm not trying to smuggle any booze or anything else, not even water. I'm sure some people get a little careless about unpluging their curling irons also.:eek: Most do not have an automatic shut-off on them. I would think that could be more dangerous. I always wash my coffee maker out and UNPLUG it after every use as I'm sure most people do. :D

In The Pink, Sorry if I offended you. I just re-read the thread and saw that you didn't now coffeemakers were forbidden.

My comments were intended for the folks that did know they were forbidden, and take them anyway.

I was also only guessing as to why they are forbidden. Doesn't really matter to me why, only that the cruiseline says they are forbidden, so mine stays home, even though I might prefer my own coffee too. As a matter of fact, when I travel I usually switch to tea because I don't like anyone's coffee, but my own.

Have a great trip!:)

I myself wouldn't want to be on a ship where everyone has brought their own coffee makers. I'd be sniffing for fire during the whole cruise.

I myself wouldn't want to be on a ship where everyone has brought their own coffee makers. I'd be sniffing for fire during the whole cruise.

Judyzoo,

From reading this thread, I sure hope you have your sniffer working. Sure seems more people take them than don't. I agree with you, I think the cruiselines forbid them for a reason whether it be fire or just electrical usage.:o

If, however, the rule is due to a fire hazard and I can take something that doesn't present one, then I don't see a problem. Nor do I think that if the electricity usage was the problem, that coffee makers would be listed as an item not to carry on along with candles, irons and explosives!

Actually, part of the reason irons are listed is the electrical pull on the system.

I would love to bring one of my 6 makers with me - yes all up and functioning, we're a bit fanatic about coffee.

BUT, if any of you will be stopping in the Dominican Republic - pick up Santo Domingo coffee (Brownish black, red and yellow packaging - mostly brownish/black) - it is SO sweet and yummy

I have some being shipped to me in CA

And Marla - love your real name I'm also one!

~ Marla

Archived