If you missed a port, were your port charges refunded and how much

flagger

Due to the port authority closing the port, we missed Grand Cayman last week on FOS. When I inquired about getting the port charges refunded for that port, I was first told by GR that I would have to take it up with Miami and given a number to call. When I asked for the phone to call Miami, I was told to wait and a supervisor/manager came out and told me that they do not do that and it is just built into my cruise fare.

While not broken down on my receipt (which was left at home), there is a line for port charges/taxes and fees. A CC member who asked at the Diamond Lounge was told a different story.

So I am interested to know if you ever received a refund for missing a port, specifically Grand Cayman, and how much was it? Now it may only be $5-$20, but when you multiply that by the 4200 passengers that were onboard FOS last week, that turns into a serious chunk of change not being returned by the cruiseline.

Thanks for your help.

We've missed ports in Europe (due to weather), but were usually put into other ports (NOT nearly so desirable).

We never received a refund--nor were we charged an additional fee for a different port.

Can't tell you about other ports.:cool:

Due to the large lawsuit that was filed approximately 10 years ago, and money paid out to previous cruisers RCI now just calls the port charges..... taxes and fees. We no longer pay "port charges". They are covering their butt. This info came directly from our TA.

Cindy ;)

We missed three out of five ports on Grandeur back in 9/05. This was due to Hurricane Rita. We received no refund for the port charges but did receive a refund since the cruise was shortened from nine days to eight. I think it was $200 each since we were in a junior suite.

Due to the large lawsuit that was filed approximately 10 years ago, and money paid out to previous cruisers RCI now just calls the port charges..... taxes and fees. We no longer pay "port charges". They are covering their butt. This info came directly from our TA.

Cindy ;)

As a result of that lawsuit, I received a couple of future cruise credit coupons worth about $150. I never got to use mine; kids were in college, money was short and before you knew it, they expired. :(

Cindy ;)

UMMM -- then I respectfully submit that your TA is slightly confused. Years ago, the cruise lines would quote a price, and then in tiny type add a couple of hundred dollars in "port charges." Investigation turned up that this included all sorts of things from the charges for tying up to the dock to things like garbage disposal in ports. A big lawsuit DID result, so consequently "port charges" can no longer be stated separately but are included in your fare. There is an item of about the same size, which your TA will see on her invoice, called "non-discountable amount" or, more appropriately, "non-commissionable amount." It doesn't really affect the pax, but it does affect the TA because they don't get commission on it! This is a broad general "overhead" charge which is built in the fare and does not depend on which ports you hit or do not hit, and IT is what replaced the old jumble "port charges."

But there is also on your invoice an item labeled "taxes and fees" which may be from a small amount to maybe $90 bucks or so, more if you have a cruise/air package. This is actual per passenger charges made by the governmental agencies at the various ports, and is NOT part of the quoted fare but is added on to it. If you do indeed miss a port which levies such a governmental per passenger charge, it should be refundable. Often it will be credited back to your shipboard account. Sometimes though the line just dodges the issue and gives everybody a free drink or something ...

UMMM -- then I respectfully submit that your TA is slightly confused. Years ago, the cruise lines would quote a price, and then in tiny type add a couple of hundred dollars in "port charges." Investigation turned up that this included all sorts of things from the charges for tying up to the dock to things like garbage disposal in ports. A big lawsuit DID result, so consequently "port charges" can no longer be stated separately but are included in your fare. There is an item of about the same size, which your TA will see on her invoice, called "non-discountable amount" or, more appropriately, "non-commissionable amount." It doesn't really affect the pax, but it does affect the TA because they don't get commission on it! This is a broad general "overhead" charge which is built in the fare and does not depend on which ports you hit or do not hit, and IT is what replaced the old jumble "port charges."

But there is also on your invoice an item labeled "taxes and fees" which may be from a small amount to maybe $90 bucks or so, more if you have a cruise/air package. This is actual per passenger charges made by the governmental agencies at the various ports, and is NOT part of the quoted fare but is added on to it. If you do indeed miss a port which levies such a governmental per passenger charge, it should be refundable. Often it will be credited back to your shipboard account. Sometimes though the line just dodges the issue and gives everybody a free drink or something ...

Sorry, but raerae is right on this one, and it is why it is explictly stated in your RCI cruise contract, item 6, that:

Carrier may for any reason, at any time, and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any sailing or port of call ... and shall not be liable whatsoever to Passenger by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

You can quote all the contract legaleze you want, but if a port levies a fee or head charge per passenger when a port is docked (or in the case of GC tendered) and then no fee is collected when the port is closed by the PA then it only stands to reason that fee should in fact be refunded to the passenger.

There was a lack of communication on board our cruise. The Diamond concierge told our friends "RCL no longer does that". The GR person told me to contact Miami which I will, his supervisor told me that "RCL no longer collects port charges". Well my break out receipt for the cruise actually lists a separate line for port taxes and fees in addition to the cruise fare.

Like I said it could be $5-$20 per person, but with 4200 passengers on board that represents quite a bit of profit which did not have to be paid to the port when we did not dock.

I know other lines do in fact refund those charges and wanted to hear from others if they had those fees refunded.

You can quote all the contract legaleze you want, but if a port levies a fee or head charge per passenger when a port is docked (or in the case of GC tendered) and then no fee is collected when the port is closed by the PA then it only stands to reason that fee should in fact be refunded to the passenger.

There was a lack of communication on board our cruise. The Diamond concierge told our friends "RCL no longer does that". The GR person told me to contact Miami which I will, his supervisor told me that "RCL no longer collects port charges". Well my break out receipt for the cruise actually lists a separate line for port taxes and fees in addition to the cruise fare.

Like I said it could be $5-$20 per person, but with 4200 passengers on board that represents quite a bit of profit which did not have to be paid to the port when we did not dock.

I know other lines do in fact refund those charges and wanted to hear from others if they had those fees refunded.

Well, when dealing with a legal situation legalize is all that really matters.

But anyway, who did you book with and what exactly did the receipt say?

The same thing happened to me with an intended stop in Grand Cayman.

The seas were a little too choppy for the tenders and the Captain decided

it wasn't safe, so we spent an additional lovely day at sea. While I was

disappointed not to make the stop, I understood the motivation was in our

best interest. The day at sea was wonderful, and the small amount of what

we were charged for the port charge/tax/fee whatever, was petty. At

the end of the day, Royal Caribbean spent far more money on fuel than

the $5-20. Grand Cayman will be there the next time I cruise. It's all

good.

Rob

Well, when dealing with a legal situation legalize is all that really matters.

But anyway, who did you book with and what exactly did the receipt say?

Booked with RCL and the receipt says taxes and fees. Also in your above quote, it would be fine and good if RCL always follows their end of the contract. However precedence has RCL offering far more than just a refund of port charges for missed ports when the above quote clears them of any liability.

At this point it is more about principle, a lack of communication, rudeness from the ship staff than port charges. When you have three people proffering three different statements, there is a problem which needs to be and will be addressed.

Please write when you find out from Miami. It will be interesting to find out if they will refund any of these funds.

I wonder if they ships have to pay anything to the port for a "reservation" even if they can't make it due to weather/mechanical or other reasons.

Due to the port authority closing the port, we missed Grand Cayman last week on FOS. When I inquired about getting the port charges refunded for that port, I was first told by GR that I would have to take it up with Miami and given a number to call. When I asked for the phone to call Miami, I was told to wait and a supervisor/manager came out and told me that they do not do that and it is just built into my cruise fare.

While not broken down on my receipt (which was left at home), there is a line for port charges/taxes and fees. A CC member who asked at the Diamond Lounge was told a different story.

So I am interested to know if you ever received a refund for missing a port, specifically Grand Cayman, and how much was it? Now it may only be $5-$20, but when you multiply that by the 4200 passengers that were onboard FOS last week, that turns into a serious chunk of change not being returned by the cruiseline.

Thanks for your help.

When we were on the Freedom in November we missed Grand Cayman due to the weather and received a credit of $3.41 per person for the missed port.

When we came back to the ship in Cozumel they told us we would not be leaving until 10pm since we would not be going to GC the following day due to the windy conditions........of course, we went to Carlos n Charlie's to spend the extra time!:D:D When we came back to the ship that evening there was a note on the bed saying that each passenger would be receiving a credit on their seapass account of $3.41 for the missed port. So, yes, there is a credit given but a very small one! Actually I still have the note the compass for that day.:)

Sandie

Just curious, earlier you said your receipt lists a separate line for taxes and fees (post number 15), and here you say it reads "port" taxes and fees. Which one does it actually say, as that to me could be important.

We were on Explorer in September and missed St. Thomas (they actually cancelled it when we boarded - long story).

No monies were returned.

I also, years ago, was part of the group that received settlements on the other charges, so I thought they would give everyone a credit for this.

I was told by the front desk that "Port Charges have already been paid to the island and, therefore, RCI will not provide a credit since RCI cannot get its money back".

We went on the Majesty in August and due to the weather we diverted to Cozumel and we recieved like $48 refund for missing Nassau. And no charge was put on for Cozumel. I'll take whatever I can get. That was a few free drinks.

I've been on RCI ships that have missed ports on several occassions and there has never been a refund of the port taxes. I have sailed on other lines that did refund the port tax when a port was missed but RCI's policy is to pocket the money. As you said, if the money was collected in anticipation of it being turned over to a government authority (similar to merchants collecting sales tax) then it should be refunded if a port is missed.

When we were on the Freedom in November we missed Grand Cayman due to the weather and received a credit of $3.41 per person for the missed port.

When we came back to the ship in Cozumel they told us we would not be leaving until 10pm since we would not be going to GC the following day due to the windy conditions........of course, we went to Carlos n Charlie's to spend the extra time!:D:D When we came back to the ship that evening there was a note on the bed saying that each passenger would be receiving a credit on their seapass account of $3.41 for the missed port. So, yes, there is a credit given but a very small one! Actually I still have the note the compass for that day.:)

Sandie

I wonder if the other cruise lines have different port charges? When we missed Grand Caymen on our HAL cruise everyone received a $13 pp refund which was put on their accounts.

Just curious, earlier you said your receipt lists a separate line for taxes and fees (post number 15), and here you say it reads "port" taxes and fees. Which one does it actually say, as that to me could be important.
That was why I asked who he booked with and exactly what it said. I've never gotten a receipt from RCI with the word "port" next to taxes and fees.

Archived