Lesbian Couples who love cruising

mithryl

Jess,

Glad you joined the thread. We look forward to seeing your pictures. I took my Mom on the Majesty of the Sea for a quick four day cruise. We enjoyed RCL. Normally my partner and our family travel Carnival. We'll have to put some cruise pictures up too.

Have a good weekend,

shan9700:)

Hey mithryl enjoy!

I will post more later on down the road it just takes time to resize them all :)

shan9700,

I enjoyed Majesty just wished it was longer but that's my own fault :o I hope to go on Carnival one day just to experience it since I always hear good things. How has your experience been with "The Fun Ships"?

Can't wait to see your pics.

You all have a nice weekend too :D

Jess,

We've always had a great time on Carnival. We've been on the Liberty, Triumph twice, Victory, Sensation and coming up Sept. 10th we're going to cruise the Facination. Everyone from the photographer to the cabin stewarts have been wonderful to us. We usually travel with either Missy's family or mine. We've meet some ( family ) on board and have been to some FOD gatherings while on board. Plus our son Jacob loves the water slides on Carnival ships. I really enjoyed the movies under the stars on the Liberty. That ship had the big screen theather on deck for movies and concerts.

We're working on becoming Platium on Carnival for our Hawiian cruise. I'm hope Missy and I will do a West coast trip to Hawii for our 10th anniversary. We've got four more years to plan that trip. Plus we have a son so by then he'll be 15 so it'll be easier to leave him with his other parent.

How did you like Princess cruise line?? I would like to try them one day too. Was Princess and RCL pretty close to the same level of service. I thought the shows on Carnival we're better than the shows I saw on The Majesty of the Sea. How were the shows on Pricess??

All have Missy figure out how to post some of our cruise pictures.

Shan9700:)

Yes, Princess and RCL are pretty close to the same level of service.

On our first cruise on the Golden Princess we didn't catch many shows just the one comedian who was pretty funny. I liked the Majesty's last show I forget what they called it but that was a nice show. Our second time on princess (Caribbean Princess) we tried to catch most of the shows which I enjoyed very much.

Both RCL and Princess staff are great very friendly. I think they are very similar as far as shows and food. The only thing is since the RCL was a short cruise and an old ship they didn't have much entertainment but again it was a short cruise. What I did love about Majesty that Princess didn't have was the midnight buffet around the pool with the ice sculptures. The Caribbean Princess has the Movies under the Stars also which we enjoyed watching Dream Girls on :D I appreciate the pools on Princess because they are chlorinated (not sea/salt water). We did the FOD on the 2nd Princess cruise we met a few other couples it was nice.

For us it all depended on pricing when we picked our 2nd and 3rd cruise. The 1st was recommend by our boys who had been on the Golden Princess the year before. They now want to try RCL since we recommended it to them and the fact that they sail out of the port near us is also a beautiful thing :D

I will try Carnival one day ;)

To attach the pictures it's under the additional options click on manage attachments the resizing is the problem if they are to big to upload I use Irfanview to resize my pics. Good Luck!

Hello Folks. My gf and I are going on RC Soveign of the Seas in Sept on the 14. Is anyone out there going as well? Does RCL do FOD routinely? I hope to find other couples. I went with my family this past sept on the NCL with RFamily and I'll tell you while the cost is prohibitive, the experience is priceless. My kids, all ages, loved it. I will give regular cruising a real try but we are booked for the R Family in March to Mexico on Holland Oosterdam. This next trip is with sibs and to see if my gf can deal with cruising but as far as family, I will use R Family ongoing. I have seven kids from 8 to 37, one daughter in law and one granddaughter. I was with the same partner for 33 yrs and we still function as a family. I have been with my current gf for 3 yrs now. We hope to connect with some other lesbian cruisers. Be in touch? Thanks

Hi Folks. Just went on my first cruise with R Family this past summer and now am tking my gf on a str8 cruise Sept 14, 2007. I have booked my crew(7 kids) on Holland America for 3/15/08 with R Family. Anyway, hoping to meet other like minded folks on this next one. Terri

Hi Folks. Just went on my first cruise with R Family this past summer and now am tking my gf on a str8 cruise Sept 14, 2007. I have booked my crew(7 kids) on Holland America for 3/15/08 with R Family. Anyway, hoping to meet other like minded folks on this next one. Terri

Welcome Candue,

Where are you going in September? Which cruise line?

Sounds like R Family is a great fit for your crew! Let us know how you like the str8 cruise.

Thanks. RCL on the Sovereign this time to the Bahamas (yes I was just there). Since there is such a huge difference in pricing I would like to find something that works for my family a little more accessible for at least one of our vacations a year. I am sooo hooked. I fought this for years. My sister and her family are long time cruisers. It will be great just to spend time with them but it would be nice to see like-minded folks. Good of you to ask.

Candue,

RCL is a great line, you should have a wonderful time. As you may have gathered from reading this thread, many of us have shifted to str8 cruising, mainly due to the pricing difference. When you're "hooked", it's hard not to compare. I think R Family and Olivia are terrific, but I like to spend less and sail more. Sounds like you're starting to consider that as well. I think you will find that there are usually a few lesbian/gay couples on almost any cruise (after all we are about 10% or more of the general population!) You may or may not meet folks on every cruise, but you can certainly enjoy your family and they can all have a great time, regardless of which line you choose.

Hope things settle down a bit in the Caribbean for you prior to your cruise.

Hi--it has been forever since I posted here: Hello and happy sailings to everyone! My Best-Beloved, Kathy, signed us up on the Millennium to Alaska, RT from San Francisco, May 5, 2008; so much for all my trying to finagle a 2-for-1 on Olivia's fall trip, or the RT to Hawaii :rolleyes:. The roll call is very active and a super nice group of mostly women--and not everyone is str8, whoopee!

It is our first time on Celebrity and I am having attitude about no self-service laundromat (did anyone see Westenheimer's monolog-- on Logo's program about Olivia--on the difference between dyke and gay cruisers? -- that's about the way I feel: I'll do it myself, dammit), plus nerves about too-much-elegance. Is Celebrity over the top?

Anyone else wanna join us? Lots of good ports!

Kristen

We're checking out Celebrity (Mercury) in October. I'm not sure about whether the elegance is over the top or not. We'll let you know what we think. We've never used the self-service laundry, so can't speak to that.

We'll be out of town for a week (trip to Seattle...non-cruise related), so we'll check back in late next week to see whats happening with everyone.

Happy sailing!

Hi Kristen, Don't worrry about Celebrity. We travelled on the Mercury a few years back for my 50th and had a great time. We had the Sky Suite with butler. We did the Mexico trip from S.D. We are booked for Alaska next July out of Seattle. I actually wanted to take the same cruise you are going on as we will in S.F. and thought it would be great to leave from here and return; however, we have friends and family that can't afford the two week thing. You will have a great time. Dressing up a bit is fun but it is not over the top. Chill and enjoy! Deborah

We're checking out Celebrity (Mercury) in October. I'm not sure about whether the elegance is over the top or not. We'll let you know what we think. We've never used the self-service laundry, so can't speak to that.

We'll be out of town for a week (trip to Seattle...non-cruise related), so we'll check back in late next week to see whats happening with everyone.

Happy sailing!

Hey Mithryl,

Are you doing the wine cruise? I know the Mercury does a wine cruise every Oct. and I am hoping to do it in 2008.

cheers,

PA

Hey Everybody, this thread ended up on page 2 so I thought I'd rescue it from obscurity. We must all be pretty busy....no postings for a while.

We're counting down now to our wedding and our cruise on Celebrity Mercury in October. Forty six days until we're married in Canada and forty eight days until our Mercury cruise. We will see Mithryl aboard the cruise. It's too bad more of you couldnt' make it for a fun four days.

Hope everyone is having a great summer.

Carol and Linda.

waunabcruizin,

Well I'm sure your both very busy with all of the wedding plans. When you guys get on your cruise it'll be time to relax. I wish you both the best of luck and know your wedding and cruise is going to be great.

Our family cruise is in 13 days and we're so looking for to going. So far we're still going to Keywest and Calica. I guess some of the mexico ports have been changed. It'll be nice to get away and relax on a beach.

Shan--neat pictures!

Thank you all for your advice re Celebrity--I'll just wear the same stuff I did for Princess; if they don't like it, they can ban me to the buffet.

Another question--any recommended women-owned places we should visit in Alaska? we're not going all the way up, just Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Sitka.

Carol and Linda--very best wishes for your wedding, and for your "honeymoon" cruise!

Kristen

Shan, the pics came out great! Can't wait to see more. I will try to post more soon.

I haven't been on in a few days just been very busy. I'm happy I just booked a vacation to Puerto Rico for Oct. to visit the family and to celebrate my sister's and nephews (2nd) birthday :D

We did a cruise in May so till next year :)

Carol and Linda - Congrats and Best Wishes ~ Enjoy your cruise!

Alright girls - I know you will understand me on this thread. Kelly and I have taken one cruise, on Majesty of the Seas, last May. The dressing up issue is hard for us. First, our versions of dressing up basically consist of dockers and a polo shirt for Kelly and capris and a blouse for me. I just don't know how well that will be received. More importantly, we both feel fairly strongly about not being made to dress up (read: no long pants) on vacation, but in deference to the rules, we avoided the dining room lest our shorts offend someone. We didn't mind eating on the Lido deck or having the dinner brought to us via room service so we wouldn't miss anything. In addition, we befriended one of the crew, a performer with the band, who informed us that nearly everything offered in the dining room was on the buffet each night. Not sitting in the dining room probably works out best because I always fear how others will react/interact with us as gay women.

Our upcoming cruise is on a different line, Carnival. After reading the boards I am perturbed because 1) apparently you can't order the dinner menu through room service and I really, really wanted to try the chocolate melting cake along with all of the other great sounding options on Carnival's dinner menu 2) those I have asked say that the dining room menu is not at all what we'll find on the Lido and 3) I just read on Carnival's FAQ that Lido dining is not available on the last night of the cruise. Can that be right? Here is the link: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Kelly did begrudgingly say that she'd pack a pair of Khakis if I REALLY wanted her to, so it is possible (maybe ;)) to get her in there. But what do you all think? I'd really appreciate any thoughts you gals may have on this issue.

IndigoFairy,

Well Carnival is the least formal of all the cruise lines. I'll probabally get flamed for saying that. I would request late seating (8:30) and request a table for two. Missy and I have done that several times and have always been granted a two top. That way you can have dinner together and not worry about the other diners.

Missy and I do sorta dress up for dinners. Usually for formal dinners we'll wear a nice pair of dress pants and a blouse. For regular dinners Missy will usually wear capries and a shirt and I wear pants and a polo.

Missy's brother has cruised with us and he actually wore shorts in the dinning room and no one said anything to him. I can tell you he wasn't the only one wearing shorts and a nice shirt in the dinning room. It sure didn't make my dinner taste any different having people in the dinning room in shorts.

This is about as formal as we get.

shanandmiss.jpg.46886c6f44fd7dd0bc8ac0e065b52737.jpg

We have cruised on Royal Caribbean, NCL and Carnival. Jennifer I neither one like dressing up much, so we usually wear slacks and a polo or silk shirt. We even wear this on formal nights. I refuse to wear a dress! Eight years of catholic school was enough of wearing a dress! And nobody has ever said anything to us about how we are dressed.

Take a pair of khakis and go to the dining room. Dinner is one oft he best things about a cruise.

Also, we are cruising on the Carnival Conquest in 3 weeks and I plan on wearing jeans in the dining room a couple of nights :eek:

The deal about dressing up is that it's a big fantasy party, and it's nice to either go along with it, or stay out of sight. Yes, it's dumb, but so are many other things, and it's just considerate not to put a spike in their balloons. They paid good money for their cruise fantasy, too. What about tuxes? Dress to the max the dyke way!

I understand about dresses--I tried dresses for years, until my partner REALLY made me understand that I looked like an armoire in Goodwill drag (the Birks didn't help, either). But long swishy pants and a sparkly top--at least on Carnival and Princess, and hopefully on Celebrity!-- can be comfortable and still not clang in the ambiance.

Kristen :) :)

Thanks to all who replied for your encouragement. Unfortunately, though she would be SO HOT in a tux and I wish I could get her to wear one; my dearest is just not going to go any farther than khakis. I, on the other hand, have been looking for a new outfit (slinky black skirt or tailored pantsuit) to wear. No sparkles for either of us, though. But not to worry, we will absolutely avoid the dining room on formal night. Based on all of your posts, I think we'll be okay on the non-formal nights.

The Carnival dinner menu is nothing like whats served on Lido, and room service is extremely limited (read....no choc melting cake, etc.) unless you're looking for a sandwich. The roast beef sandwich is great. Capri's worked for me and no one flenched and on Formal night we just threw on a pair of dark pants and a top. I did notice some people in jeans, but that really is frowned on for Formal night. I figure you paid your faire, do as you feel comfortable. What are they gonna do....toss you over board. lol Enjoy!

I am a girlie girl and love to dress up. Mary on the other hand, not so much. I really don't associate formal night though with dresses. Mary wears black dress pants and a blouse, usually also black. No biggie iggie.

As for table mates. You will most likely not have a problem. If you like to have a table for two because you like to eat just the two of you fine but otherwise my philosophy is to go big and get that table of 10! Meet and greet and get to know people. It will be fine.

cheers,

PA