Do things have to be kept in original containers?

BlessedBeingMom

Hi, I'm Tricia and I am new here. My DH & I are leaving on our first cruise in a few weeks, aboard Carnival's Holiday from Mobile. I was wondering if things like shampoo, conditioner, vaseline, over-the-counter vitamins and supplements (like ginger capsules), etc., have to be kept in their original bottles? We are trying to minimize what we have to pack, but we already have a long list after I've been reading these boards. :D

Also, do I need to take off my engagement ring when we leave the ships at the ports? It's not anything real fancy or anything. It's about 1/2 carat diamond. I don't really own any other nice jewelry, other than my wedding ring, which can't come off due to a few pounds I have gained over the past 10 years. :::::blushing::::: (This cruise is for our 10 year anniversary, though that actually isn't until May.)

Thank you all for the advice! Have a happy and blessed day.

Tricia

Hi, I'm Tricia and I am new here. My DH & I are leaving on our first cruise in a few weeks, aboard Carnival's Holiday from Mobile. I was wondering if things like shampoo, conditioner, vaseline, over-the-counter vitamins and supplements (like ginger capsules), etc., have to be kept in their original bottles? We are trying to minimize what we have to pack, but we already have a long list after I've been reading these boards. :D

Also, do I need to take off my engagement ring when we leave the ships at the ports? It's not anything real fancy or anything. It's about 1/2 carat diamond. I don't really own any other nice jewelry, other than my wedding ring, which can't come off due to a few pounds I have gained over the past 10 years. :::::blushing::::: (This cruise is for our 10 year anniversary, though that actually isn't until May.)

To answer your first question, if you are flying I would highly recommend you put these items in your checked baggage. The rules for carry-ons are so convoluted now that what you might get away with at one airport would be taken away at another. If you are not flying it really doesn't matter. As for shampoo and conditioner, I know that Holland America provides excellent products so we don't even bother carrying them. I would think the other cruise lines are just as good.

I also wouldn't worry too much about your ring unless it can come off easily. If so, I would consider leaving it onboard.

Cheers,

You can go to Long's, Target or Wallymart and buy some of the smaller travel bottles. We always downsize when traveling. The exception is RXs - they do need to remain in their original bottles.

I never take my wedding ring off in ports, but I do avoid wearing any other pieces that might attract attention.

Charlie

The suggestion to use the travel size items is a great one. It is amazing how long they last, and we just top them off each time we travel. If you take anything liquid on your carry-on when flying it must be only 3 or 4 oz. (cannot remember which) and all of it must fit into a 1 quart ziplock which you take out before going through security.

I have those 3 month bottles of prescriptions and don't take them at all. I just put everything in one of those 7 day daily containers. I have heard of a couple people having problems, but I never have. I also take a few days extra meds just in case I get stuck somewhere. (I have heard of this happening, too.)

I take off my diamond when going into port if I am going snorkeling. I have read that barracuda like to investigate sparkly things! ::eek::

Our first cruise was on the Holiday - what great memories! Have a great cruise!

I have the 3 month prescriptions in big bottles too & also don't take them. Bring 2-7 day containers in the event cruise is delayed. Never had any problems. Always leave jewelry in safe on ship when going to port.

Tricia - You'll be on my favorite ship, the Holiday!:)

Because you are driving to the port, you don't need to worry about how you take your toiletries. You can pack them as I do (all together in a large ziplok bag), and put into your checked luggage....or you can take them in your carry-on bag. Up to you.

No, you aren't limited to how many pieces of luggage you can take onto the ship. You should check your larger pieces, as the x-ray machine for carry-ons will only take pieces about 16"x24".

The Holiday, like all Carnival ships, has two built-in dispensers on the shower wall. One holds shampoo/conditioner combination, and the other holds body wash. Last few cruises, these products were Dove. (I need extra conditioning, so took some of my own.)

There will be an amenity basket/bowl in your bathroom. It will contain a variety of products - all sample sizes, such as lotion, toothpaste, toothbrush, razor, deodorant, Rolaids, Skittles, comb, etc. The products vary cruise to cruise.

It's up to you about your rings. I never take mine off, even when snorkeling. However, if you'd feel better, there will be a safe in your cabin that you can leave anything of value in when you leave the ship.:)

Archived