Long Bay?

Rigger

John, if you go to images.google.com and put in long bay, antigua, you'll get some nice photos of the beach and even the Pineapple Resort.

Additionally, I have seen reviews of the resort. Try doing a search in the Ports of Call forum for pineapple resort. I believe someone wrote that Sandals had bought the resort.

Additionally, I would check http://www.tripadvisor.com and put in the resort name and location.

We are going to be in Antigua ourselves on March 18. What about you?

My DH might be interested in renting a car so would you please tell me a little more about your experience?

1. Did you arrange it ahead of time?

2. Did you feel you needed extra insurance or just use your credit card waiver?

3. Were the roads easy to navigate and did you have a map that was pretty clear with directions to Long Bay, etc.?

Anything else you can think of?

Thanks so much,

Barbara

Yes we had reserved months ahead. We also rented a car in San Juan and on St. Maarten. I went to the Hertz website and found an international 800 # and called. The customer service rep was very very helpful and booked all three with one call.

We usually like to "do our own thing" instead of booking excursions and this usually involves renting a car. We ALWAYS take the car rental insurance for a few extra dollars. And a tip: we always walk around the car with the rep and note any scratches, dings or dents before leaving. All rental co's are supposed to do this - just make sure they do. Takes 2 minutes.

I had ordered a map online (3.50) ahead of time also.... but found that Hertz gave us the same one when we picked up the car. Just do a web search for Antigua map and look around - they are available. By having one ahead of time we were able to plan our day way ahead of time as well as get a good "lay of the land". Antigua roads are not the greatest but also not the worst we have been on. Drive on the left. Getting out of town was probably the hardest but not a really big deal.. once out of town the traffic was almost non-existent. Signage is not real good but if you have your route figured out and know which way is east, west etc... we had absolutely no problem. Back at the pier with time enough to spare for dh to buy me a really nice 25th wedding anniversary ring at Diamonds Intl. :D

I loved Antigua - would entertain going back for a week land vacation someday.

There are no car rental places right at the pier..... and yes we had someone meet us.

You must book through the main office (not the airport one) and request pickup and drop off at the pier area...no charge.

We only had to walk about a block in once outside the "secure area" of the pier to meet our customer rep. We met at a small hotel (name escapes me) and she had all our paperwork and we were on our way in 15 minutes or so.... we told her we would be back by 4:00 and she drove up as we were driving up :D Really easy process.

Have heard of others tho that had problems.....car not there - had to go to airport to pick up etc..... but I called the main office number directly right before we left on our trip (from home) and confirmed with them so maybe that is why everything went so smoothly for us. I am a detail freak and plan everything to the nnnnth degree.

Great info texancruzer. I called Hertz, was told they have 2 locations on Antigua One was THe Grand Antiguan which when I called them said they no longer have that. The main 800 Hertz Int'l number said I had to decide which location to rent from (now it appears to be the airport or the Jolly Harbor location).

Was I getting the runaround and perhaps I need to call back and try again?

The prices I was quoted for anyone interested:

$69.00 for smallest economy (Toyota Yaris) incl all taxes, etc. plus $10 for the CDW plus $20 for temporary permit. Add another $10 if you have an extra driver and it's up to $100.

• 2 weeks later...
cruisincarrie' date='

We plan to go there in April with a 2 and 4 year old. Would love to hear about your day there. Please write when you get back. Have a great time and enjoy your trip.[/quote']

Hi cruisincarrie' date='

We will be aboard the Norwegian Dawn and travel to St. Thomas, Antigua, Barbados, Grenada, Dominica (Easter) and Tortola. Where will you be going? Which cruise line will you be on? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I could give you my email address if you prefer. Thanks again and enjoy![/quote']

Hi mimi'sgirl!

Looks like you will be on the 4/1 Dawn sailing with us! Be sure to stop by the rollcall and also the M&G onboard.

I have 5 and 8 yo girls. Looks like my 5yo and your kids will be in the same kids crew age group. :D

A little over 3 weeks to go!!!!!!!!

Archived