Taking 9-Month Old....Need Planning Help!

Lady_Gamecock

I have been putting together a list of things not to forget, but I know it'll be impossible NOT to remember everything for Baby_G. Here is what I have, but for those of you veteran "baby take along" cruisers, what else do I need to remember???

Breakdown:

1 overnight hotel stay in Tampa, FL

7 Day, Western Caribbean on RCCL's Legend of the Seas departing 10 March.

1. Passport/Travel Papers/Doctor's Orders

2. Diapers (We're bringing a case of Pampers "Cruisers" Size 3.)

3. Wipes (We're bringing a case of Huggies wipes.)

4. Gerber Baby Food (3 servings per day times 7 = 24 (bringing 6 extra))

5. Medicine (Infant Tylenol - anything else?)

6. Baby Sunscreen (Waterbabies SPF +10000 :D )

7. Disposable Bibs (Pampers makes an awesome disposable bib!)

8. Numerous changes of clothes (including formal wear; swiming suits;

play clothes; hats; bibs; shoes)

9. Small inflatable baby pool (So Baby_G doesn't become a statistic and

she gets to enjoy the water, too! Will also make for a nice bathtub.)

10. Little Swimmers (never bought these before - hope they work)

11. Formula (2 large containers of Enfamil)

12. Bottles/Nipples/Brushes

13. Dishwashing Lotion (for #12)

14. Various Toys

15. Pack-N-Play Sheets (P-n-P being provided for by RCCL)

16. Travel High Chair that attaches to table (Keeps Baby_G off the floor

and out of peoples way.)

17. Liquid Baby Detergent (For "ut ohs" on clothes. Don't want to carry

5-day old poopy clothes back home since RCL doesn't have coin op

laundry.)

18. Personal Laptop (To play music for Baby_G when she's napping in the

afternoon.)

I think you've covered the main points. I brought a mesh bag to hold water toys that could then be left out on the balcony to dry. Also, (this is just a silly little thing, but I really used it) I brought a "Tide on the Go" pen. I can't tell you how handy it was to deal with little "oops" on his clothes during the day (and there were many!). Can't remember if you mentioned this, but a waterproof sun hat is great!

Have a wonderful time! We had a great time with our son on our cruise!

We're bringing our dive bag, but that's an AWESOME idea! Her own little "dive bag". :D

I went to the local Waves (think junk beach stuff) yesterday and found the perfect inflatable baby pool. It's just a little wider than a deck chair. We'll put her between Grandma & Pops!

Lady_ & Baby_Gamecock

When we cruised with our 11 month old, we packed a cardboard box filled with all of the stuff we knew she'd use up while we were there. We packed the diapers, wipes, baby food, formula, snacks, that type stuff. That way when it was empty, we just left the empty box and it's much less to have to bring home. We sealed it up with packing tape and checked it and had it sent to our room like regular luggage. It worked great!

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Sounds like you are a great planner! I would add some decongestant and cough type med to your list as well. I would also bring some type of pack, either front or back. When our kids were little we found it easier for getting off the ship than using the stroller. I would carry the umbrella stroller folded up and hubby would carry baby in a pack. People get really pushy on the stairs trying to get off and, sorry to say this, but it seems like some older people think they're entitled to shove past any and everyone. I don't think I should ever get special attention when I'm carrying a baby, but for heavens sake, let me keep my place in line and don't shove me.

Hi, I'm traveling w/ a LO in March (12 months old)...it sounds like you've pretty much hit on the main points. A few other things we're bringing:

-I am going to bring a string, two of those sticky hooks, some clothes pins, and a big sheet in an attempt to partition off a portion of the room for DD's naps. I'm sure we'll mostly be out on the balcony, but I'd like to be able to go in and out as needed.

-I'm bringing a bunch of wet ones disinfecting wipes. We use them all the time...on DD, on things she touches, etc.

-Not sure if your LO is into cheerios yet...but our daughter loves them. If we give her a few handfuls in the dining room that ought to keep her busy

-As far as meds...in addition to whats been mentioned, i'm planning to contact my ped and ask if we have any options should DD get seasick. I've heard benedryl can sometimes be given to young kids, but obviously would want to talk to ped about that before-hand.

-A big box of gallon sized ziplock bag. I think this will have multiple uses, including containing any very messy clothes.

-You might want to get a pack of those disposable baby spoons to use with the baby food.

-I've heard some people get one of those over the door shoe organizers to keep everything organized in their cabin. Not sure if we'll do this or not.

I like the idea of checking a big cardboard box of stuff that you can trash at the end. That much less stuff to lug home!

Hi, I'm traveling w/ a LO in March (12 months old)...it sounds like you've pretty much hit on the main points. A few other things we're bringing:

-I am going to bring a string, two of those sticky hooks, some clothes pins, and a big sheet in an attempt to partition off a portion of the room for DD's naps. I'm sure we'll mostly be out on the balcony, but I'd like to be able to go in and out as needed.

-I'm bringing a bunch of wet ones disinfecting wipes. We use them all the time...on DD, on things she touches, etc.

-Not sure if your LO is into cheerios yet...but our daughter loves them. If we give her a few handfuls in the dining room that ought to keep her busy

-As far as meds...in addition to whats been mentioned, i'm planning to contact my ped and ask if we have any options should DD get seasick. I've heard benedryl can sometimes be given to young kids, but obviously would want to talk to ped about that before-hand.

-A big box of gallon sized ziplock bag. I think this will have multiple uses, including containing any very messy clothes.

-You might want to get a pack of those disposable baby spoons to use with the baby food.

-I've heard some people get one of those over the door shoe organizers to keep everything organized in their cabin. Not sure if we'll do this or not.

I like the idea of checking a big cardboard box of stuff that you can trash at the end. That much less stuff to lug home!

When we cruised with our 11 month old, we packed a cardboard box filled with all of the stuff we knew she'd use up while we were there. We packed the diapers, wipes, baby food, formula, snacks, that type stuff. That way when it was empty, we just left the empty box and it's much less to have to bring home. We sealed it up with packing tape and checked it and had it sent to our room like regular luggage. It worked great!

That is a great idea. What is the chance they might lose the box though. My son will be 7 months next month on our cruise and I haven't decided what to do about everything yet.

That is a great idea. What is the chance they might lose the box though. My son will be 7 months next month on our cruise and I haven't decided what to do about everything yet.

Well, I'm sure there's always that small chance anything could get lost. The porter takes it right along with the rest of your luggage and it goes right into the luggage bin to be delivered to your room. I sealed ours well with packing tape, clearly marked our cabin number in sharpie just in case the colored luggage tag happened to come off(not likely since I completely taped that to the box with clear packing tape).

I can imagine your worry since all of baby's staple items would be contained in that box, but it's highly unlikely it would "disappear" into thin air.

It saved us lugging lots of extra stuff back home, and believe me--you don't travel lightly with a baby!;)

Have a wonderful trip!

:D We were on the Mariner in November/Dec. with our 11mo old little boy and we had a blast it took alittle extra planning but it went fine as could be. Something we did tho was put a small pack of diapers in everyones luggage we had family traveling with us and I gave each of the them a small pack to put in their bags because the one thing we could not make do w/o is diapers so that way if something got lost we had back-up:D and another thing was we had seen another family try to use one of those highchairs that attache to the table and they would not let them use it we asked why they could not use it and they said that the tables are not able to hold them? And that they can not be used because of the table cloths. I don't know but that is what the matre'd told us. I'm not sure what boat you are on so it may be a ship by ship thing but I would for sure check before you go and make sure you can take it:)

Another thing we took was disposible place mats and little snacks to munch on and toys to play with while we were eating. It worked real nice. Hope yours is as much fun as ours was!

APRIL

We're likely bringing our Fisher Price Healthy Care portable--it is FANTASTIC and truly portable, attaches to the chair, not the table, and has its own tray. Folds down to quite small for a chair with a lot of good features.

If your baby can eat table foods, I would be inclined to go that route. By 9 months, my kiddo rarely ate purees, so at restaurants I would order chicken (steamed or sauteed in olive oil), rice/potatoes/pasta well cooked, peas, etc... they seemed to love cooking for a baby and I don't like shlepping a zillion jars or feeding my kid processed stuff all the time. I'd just chop things fine and she'd pick them up with her fingers and eat them.

Front packs: For a 9 month old, I would go for a better baby carrier than that. I'm bringing between 10-12 different carriers because I like to match them to my outfits and circumstances (formal, long wearing, quick wearing, handing off to grandpa, etc.) And that's for my 22 month old. ;) Anyway, we will likely have access to an umbrella stroller but I've never used a stroller with my daughter so it's mostly for Grandpa. My primary carrier type will be mei tai, and I'll mostly wear my daughter on my back, as at 23 pounds carrying her on my front is wearing. I can fit 5 mei tais, two ring slings, a wrap and a buckle pack in less space than one frame backpack. :) *so* looking forward to formal night and wearing my dd to dinner in a silk-and-velveteen Kozy or my silk Sachi.

Car seat: Sit n stroll is one I hear recommended, we're going with a Radian65 foldable to minimize space needed in the cabin to store it.

Naps, containment: we're getting a crib from teh cruiseline, but for outside the cabin I'm bringing a Kidco peapod.

Archived