Umbrella stroller recommendation

vetgirl

DD had outgrown the cheapo Carter's umbrella stroller that we used last cruise. We loved it because it folded up nicely, had a small canopy, a basket underneath and it reclined a bit.

Any suggestions for a decent one that also does all of the above mentioned??

TIA!:)

Kim:

Not sure how "cheap" you want to go, but I bought an inexpensive Cosco-brand umbrella stroller for about $12 at Walmart a couple years ago to use for travel. It has a canopy, and I added a mesh bag ($8?) to the back for small things. It doesn't recline, but I haven't been traveling that much with infants.

I have a bigger stroller in the car, but I keep the umbrella one in the garage for walks in the neighborhood/park and as a place to coop up my toddler if I'm working in the garage/yard. $12 well spent.:)

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

I have a Maclaren Quest, and it does all you're looking for, though the basket is not as large as you'd find on a standard size stroller. It only weighs 12 lbs, and can be used until the child weighs 55lbs. I originally bought ours for Disney, but it's turning into the stroller my dd (20 mos) prefers for every outing.

I have a Maclaren Quest, and it does all you're looking for, though the basket is not as large as you'd find on a standard size stroller. It only weighs 12 lbs, and can be used until the child weighs 55lbs. I originally bought ours for Disney, but it's turning into the stroller my dd (20 mos) prefers for every outing.

We bought a combi cosmo umbrella stroller, it's a little more expensive than a regular one (about $45-50) but, it reclines and has a good sized canopy for protection from the sun. It also has a carrying strap which is a nice extra. We looked at a Chicco C5 that is the same price and has a 5-point harness but the canopy wasn't as big. Both of these strollers recline.

we are headed for our cruise on sunday, and i just bought the combi cosmo ST that i think other posters are referring to. i checking into the chicco, and my friend has one, but the combi folded up just a tad shorter so i went for that one since they have the same features and same price. we needed the recline feature since our daughter is only 6 months old. i figured it wouldn't be too bad to invest in one a bit more expensive, since it folds up so compactly, and i always seem to be running out of space in the back of my car! :-)

• 3 weeks later...

We also used a Combi stroller on our last cruise. It fit great in the cabin we had, and was very easy to fold up and had a good carrying strap too. I don't like it as much as my regular big Graco stroller I use at home, but for travel it is good. We will use it again on our cruise to Alaska this September.

We have the Jeep too for our toddler, it is narrow, but I think my daughter actually likes that and we can sweeze through many tight spots. It is easy to manuever and very light. It was about $30 a Walmart. I keep my expensive stroller at home. But you have to go a little more expensive if your baby is younger for the full recline. Once your child is 1 1/2 the cheap umbrellas work great (Jeep, Combi, etc.).

One other note if you are flying, although the Quest is great - it is much more expensive and a bigger loss if the stroller gets lost or damaged - which happens ALL the time. That is why it is better to get a cheaper one for traveling then it will be easy to replace if needed.

We have the Jeep too for our toddler, it is narrow, but I think my daughter actually likes that and we can sweeze through many tight spots. It is easy to manuever and very light. It was about $30 a Walmart. I keep my expensive stroller at home. But you have to go a little more expensive if your baby is younger for the full recline. Once your child is 1 1/2 the cheap umbrellas work great (Jeep, Combi, etc.).

One other note if you are flying, although the Quest is great - it is much more expensive and a bigger loss if the stroller gets lost or damaged - which happens ALL the time. That is why it is better to get a cheaper one for traveling then it will be easy to replace if needed.

I traveled quite a lot with my Maclaren Volo with my first. It's a great, light stroller that you can fold without using any hands (perfect for when you've got to travel by yourself and you get to security and then the gate). Only problem is it doesn't recline. It wasn't a big problem with him because we started using it when he was a bit older, but for this one (6 months old) we're going to get a Quest. They're a bit more expensive but I wouldn't buy anything else. Plus I've seen it used on Craigslist for $100 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Maclaren Quest that I paid $140 for with specialtybaby (online). They also sell @ Costco occasionally for this price. I am a former flight attendant and have taken my 10 month old on 16 flights (including Minnesota to Kauai). I always gate check the Maclaren with a lightweight case (sometimes the rampers forget to bring it up and I have to wait, but I never get any damage this way). I did have slight damage to my Graco Metrolite because I didn't use a case. I bought the alphabetz case from etoys and it fits perfect. $15. I also use the protect-a-bub sunshade with the Maclaren sunshade for total sun protection. My best friend is a flight attendant for American and has taken her toddler son ALL over the world in a Maclaren Quest. She also uses a Britax Roundabout and the GoGo Wheelz for it, as well as the protect-a-bub sunshade. You can fit the Maclaren Q. in some of the airline bins, but the Flight Attendants may or may not be jerks about this. I find it easier to gate check and avoid the confrontation. My friend took her Maclaren Q. on a Celebrity cruise and it worked out well. Love the Maclaren because I often fly by myself with the baby and I can hold the baby in one arm and fold the stroller with one hand while going through security. It steers awesome and I can hang my diaper bag over the handles, so I never use the basket. There is also a Maclaren universal organizer that my friend and I hang over the handles as well. Holds water bottles, toys, etc. I think the Maclaren Volo would be great for warmer climates because it is ventilated. The Maclaren handles are 41 " tall-awesome for tall people, and it is angled so that you never kick the wheels if you are long legged.

Archived