SeaTrek scuba certification on the ship

solarbear

Does anyone know how much time you spend on the ship in classroom and in the pool for scuba certification? I am sailing on Explorer May9th and no time to complete classroom or pool training. Would like to become certified but don't want to miss out on other activities.

Not sure about how much class time you will have, but I would expect 2 sessions in the pool that lasts at least 2 hours maybe 3 hours.

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

For Discover Scuba, there should be 1 hour theory and safety briefing and 1 hour safety and practice pool session. You will then be able to dive on a shallow reef dive in a small group. Should receive a certificate with no certification. For cerification, it should take 4-5 classroom sessions, 4-5 pool sessions, and 5 checkout dives. You would be better off doing the Discover Scuba and getting certified when you get back home. It will also be cheaper back home.

17s.gif

Big Red Boat 05/95

Big Red Boat 05/97

Voyager of the Seas 05/00

Majesty of the Seas 02/01

Celebrity Galaxy 05/02

Sovereign of the Seas 09/02

Navigator of the Seas 03/03

Celebrity Summit 03/26/04

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=8>

<param name="day" value=8>

<param name="hour" value=18>

</applet>

Til Grandeur of the Seas cruise

• 8 years later...

We are getting ready to take our scuba classes here at home and do the confined water training and then do our "referral" open water dives thru RCCL on Mariner of the Seas in March. When I looked on their site, it just says to schedule the referral dives on board. We are spending quite a bit of money prior to getting on the ship in order to be able to do those dives on board and I'm not real comfortable just waiting till we get on the ship to then find out they are possibly all booked up for the week. I sent an email a few days ago, but still have not heard anything. Just by chance, have you been on Mariner of the Seas? Do you know of a contact method for the dive shop on that ship? Has anyone done this where you do your initial stuff at home and then do the referral dives thru the cruiseline? Did you wait until you got on the ship to schedule them? Thanks for your help!! Gail

Does anyone know how much time you spend on the ship in classroom and in the pool for scuba certification? I am sailing on Explorer May9th and no time to complete classroom or pool training. Would like to become certified but don't want to miss out on other activities.

According to this site, you can't do Open Water certification on the Explorer. The closest you can get is Scuba Diver, and that is not a full certification- you are limited to 40 feet and can only dive with a Divemaster.

If will be very frustrating to try to find a dive shop that goes out on certified trips that doesn't go deeper than 40 feet.

You have until May...I would try to find 4 days in there somewhere for you to take the Open Water certification at home.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=611&shipCode=EX

Thanks so much for your answers. I am already signed up at my local dive shop.

Good idea. We spent lots of time in class going through RCCL. There are reading assignments, tests to take, class gatherings, video watching, more tests. Early rising to do water skills in the pool before other cruisers start arriving to enjoy the sun. Than more testing in the ocean, to be told that less than half get certified due to such intensity in such a short period of time. The instructor took her job very seriously, as she should, and I commend her for it. I love to scuba, but waaaay toooo much class, though it is needed, while on vacation. Glad to hear you are going to your local dive shop.

Archived