Tell Us About Your Negative Experiences With Table Mates

Acey

I never used to mind telling people what I did for living but after a few of the same types of comments and people thinking I'm a criminal i am rethinking it. Seems like working for a big bank, in the mortgage department no less, isn't very popular these days. :p

Ouch, I see what you mean! Gosh, I think those of us in "questionable" fields need to come up with a fake alternative, lol. I always wanted to be an interior decorator - maybe I will start using that one. ;)

I have often been tempted to answer that question with, "I'm a stripper." ;) I have a feeling it would be a conversation-stopper. :D

LOL, that one wouldn't work for me - their mouths would drop open in astonishment and disbelieve that a 40 something woman of my stature and fluffiness was a stripper. :D\

Ooooh Ooooh Ooooh I know! How about Licensed Sex Therapist? I can see it now, people would be saying "You have to have a LICENSE to do that?!" ;)

LOL, that one wouldn't work for me - their mouths would drop open in astonishment and disbelieve that a 40 something woman of my stature and fluffiness was a stripper. :D\

Ooooh Ooooh Ooooh I know! How about Licensed Sex Therapist? I can see it now, people would be saying "You have to have a LICENSE to do that?!" ;)

a 40 something woman of my stature and fluffiness was a stripper...

This describes me perfectly - and watching their faces as they try to parse the two things together would be part of the fun. :D

I maybe be an INFP, but I do have the teensiest bit of a mean/mischievous streak in me. ;)

Fridayeyes, I've been tempted to tell people that I am a stripper too. (Really) When I tell someone I am a police officer I usually get stereotyped and people start acting differently towards me. I usually say I work for the city.

Ouch, I see what you mean! Gosh, I think those of us in "questionable" fields need to come up with a fake alternative, lol. I always wanted to be an interior decorator - maybe I will start using that one. ;)

Those who are doctors, lawyers or even tax accountants can find that a question they'd rather not answer too. Its a pretty safe bet someone at the table will want to tell the whole table their (long and boring) problem and ask for free advice.

a 40 something woman of my stature and fluffiness was a stripper...

This describes me perfectly - and watching their faces as they try to parse the two things together would be part of the fun. :D

I maybe be an INFP, but I do have the teensiest bit of a mean/mischievous streak in me. ;)

LOL, I'm an INFP, too. Great minds think alike ;)

Fridayeyes, I've been tempted to tell people that I am a stripper too. (Really) When I tell someone I am a police officer I usually get stereotyped and people start acting differently towards me. I usually say I work for the city.

Exactly. I have a friend who's husband is the Pastor of a church and she says many people get all quiet and start acting weirdly if that comes out in conversation.

Exactly. I have a friend who's husband is the Pastor of a church and she says many people get all quiet and start acting weirdly if that comes out in conversation.

When my 2 girlfriends and I were single and we would go out to a bar, the guys would only talk to me because I am a construction estimator. My 2 girlfriends are a prosecutor and a psychologist. LOL They would tell guys what they do for a living and you could just watch how tense these guys would get and make a fast excuse to leave! LOL They started telling people they were a kindergarten teacher and a museum curator! :D

I think I've got most of you beat when it comes to being a bit "careful" when it comes to explaining where you work...

The place I work is usually associated with a specific calendar date: April 15th.

Of course I can cover it up and just say I work "In the IT Department" (which is true). But there are times when I actually enjoy the reaction. Depends if I think someone is being a Tool for bragging about their possessions.

My worst dinner experience was once when I was traveling alone. I had asked to be seated at a large table so that I could meet some people and make friends.

First night I showed up at the dinning room and they sat me at a table for 10 - ALONE.

It was so embarrasing as people at the surrounding tables just could not refrain from starring.

Needless to say I spent the rest of the week eating at the buffet alone as it was much less pathetic. :o

I also sail solo and I've had times when no one else has appeared for dinner. I just ask to be seated at another table. I've always been accommodated graciously. Doesn't matter if it's the first, third or last night. No way I'm going to miss the dining room because of others. Other than no-shows, I've never had table companions I had a problem with. Hopefully I'm not the one others talk about.

Those who are doctors, lawyers or even tax accountants can find that a question they'd rather not answer too. Its a pretty safe bet someone at the table will want to tell the whole table their (long and boring) problem and ask for free advice.

I'm an auditor at a cpa firm, which for some reason, people always associate with tax. I get asked tax questions all the time, or they think I work for the IRS and am out to get them. I do finanical statement audits, and do not do anything tax related at all.

I need to come up with a "fake" occupation, but I don't think I could come up with all the details if I get pushed past what I do for a living. Maybe I should just say, "It's classified".

I need to come up with a "fake" occupation, but I don't think I could come up with all the details if I get pushed past what I do for a living. Maybe I should just say, "It's classified".

Tell them that you pilot the black helicopters.

Or say you are a contract killer.

Hundreds of options that will get them to shut up about asking any more.

Politically Correct[ion] Strippers prefer to be called "Exotic Dancers" these days
Like Elizabeth Berkley said in "Showgirls."

Bah! Political correctness is vastly overrated.

I'm an auditor at a cpa firm, which for some reason, people always associate with tax. I get asked tax questions all the time, or they think I work for the IRS and am out to get them. I do finanical statement audits, and do not do anything tax related at all.

I have a similar problem. I am an accountant for a manufacturing company. When I say I am an accountant they immediately start asking me tax questions. Last personal tax class I had was in 1986. I let them know that I am not a tax accountant and tell them that is who they need to consult.

As far as asking what I do, I don't mind one bit. I'm proud of what I've done and what I do. In fact, I have two large tattoos (I know I know, I've already seen in another thread on here that my tattoos automatically make me a miscreant) that both reveal the paths I've chosen in my life.

I know what you mean. On one cruise we were seated with a couple that thought very highly of themselves. They were such snobs but my traveling companion was determined to try and make the best of it even though I wanted to change tables. Anyway, they had no problem chatting with me until the first formal night when I wore a gown that revealed a couple of my tattoos. :eek: After that, they wouldn't speak to me or even look at me. I got the cold shoulder for the rest of the cruise. I guess that they thought that I was a pleasant enough person until they saw my ink. I didn't realize that it completely changed my personality.:confused: It just proves how ignorant they were.

Attack Dog, my late husband was also a police officer. When asked what he did for a living, he used to respond 'I'm in the garbage business'. So true.

I'm sorry about your loss but that is a funny story about him. I might use that one in honor of him.

My worst dinner experience was once when I was traveling alone. I had asked to be seated at a large table so that I could meet some people and make friends.

First night I showed up at the dinning room and they sat me at a table for 10 - ALONE.

It was so embarrasing as people at the surrounding tables just could not refrain from starring.

Needless to say I spent the rest of the week eating at the buffet alone as it was much less pathetic. :o

That hasn't happened to me yet, but it's always a fear. Came close once when I was seated at a table for 12 and only 5 others showed the first night. Four were at the far end of the table and never said much beyond good evening (well, they would have had to shout anyway). The woman sitting next to me spoke only Spanish (so I thought). I decided to give it one more night before requesting a change. The Spanish woman had left, moved to a table of compatriots (I later heard her speaking perfect English to someone). The other 4 had just been seriously jet lagged having traveled in from Scotland. And the rest of the table showed up, along with a couple English gals I had met and got moved to the table. Ended up being one of the best tables I ever had.

I honestly hate it when people dine the first night and never return. I wish there was a way for them to consolidate the tables because I enjoy getting to know people - that was what we really hated about NCL.

So it will be interesting to see if the new dine anytime on CCL, we feel the same...

Okay - the worst table mates we had was this mother and daughter - Okay, I do not mean to come across as a snob but to set the stage, this was on the Holiday (my first cruise in over 10 years so it was a great time but I was basically a newbie) and we all know that most of the people on the Holiday are locals. I am not judging but the food was "too fancy" for them as they did not like the dinner menu (this was BEFORE the steak & chicken choice anytime). So the first night they were whiney and the daughter was on her cell phone the whole time. They tried the dining room again the 3rd night and the 15 year old daughter ordered off the kids menu since she couldn't find anything she liked. My son (9 at the time) was ordering off the adult menu because he liked the adult choices.

When dinner arrived - the daughter said rather loudly - this pizza is old and these fries are cold.

Whenever we need a good laugh we repeat that infamous quote.

(We didn't mind that they didn't come back to the dining room)

I think I've got most of you beat when it comes to being a bit "careful" when it comes to explaining where you work...

The place I work is usually associated with a specific calendar date: April 15th.

Of course I can cover it up and just say I work "In the IT Department" (which is true). But there are times when I actually enjoy the reaction. Depends if I think someone is being a Tool for bragging about their possessions.

You work for the Sanford Ink Co?

http://www.office-supplies.us.com/design_kneaded_rubber_eraser_erasers_1010898093_prd1.htm

April 15th is Rubber Eraser Day :D;)

http://www.holidayinsights.com/other/rubbereraserday.htm

I'm sitting here unable to breathe after the big AWWWWWWWW I did when I read this! Sitting alone at a table for 10!! That is just horrible! I travel solo too and from now on I will not sit down if there is no one else there. I think that is terrible!

My boyfriend and I just booked a cruise and we were actually just discussing tablemates for dinner. I know that it's likely we will be at a big table with other people and I thought it would be nice to meet other people on the ship but all of these stories are scaring me! lol- I hope we get cool people to talk to :(

My boyfriend and I just booked a cruise and we were actually just discussing tablemates for dinner. I know that it's likely we will be at a big table with other people and I thought it would be nice to meet other people on the ship but all of these stories are scaring me! lol- I hope we get cool people to talk to :(

You'll have great people to talk to!!

I don't *personally* think *most* people are being *rude* when they ask what you do for a living. I think most of them are just trying to make that first night awkward conversation and get the ice broken.

And knowing what a person does for a living does help tell you a little bit about their personality - usually.

I am always interested to know because it helps me better know what kind of things they might or might not be interested in talking about or get offended about.

To me it's more about trying to be polite or socialable than nosey because I really don't actually give a flip about what other people do for a living. :rolleyes:

Archived