Just wondering....

I think every marriage needs some alone time for parents so they can reconnect like old times. Your child is so young he'll never remember you didn't take it - take him when he is older and can enjoy it more. And you'll be able to enjoy it more with him.

Use the cruise as a second or third honeymoon while you still can!

Absolutely. My parents always took a vacation just the two of them every year and we always had family vacations (usually camping; loved it) every year at least one long trip and several weekend getaways for the whole family. We got to stay with our grandparents or friends; my parents got time to be adults and not have to parent; and everyone was happy.

And I would say that even more than whether a youngster will remember a trip, be it cruise or other, I think it's incredibly important for children to learn from an early age that, although their parents love them and cherish them and want to be with them, that they (the children) are not the center of the universe and that the entire world does not revolve around them and their desires. And that their parents have lives in addition to their roles as parents.

I've had friends who planned couples getaways, but then ended up taking the kids because the kids whined and complained and had fits. What a horrid example to set, IMO--cause enough trouble and mom and dad will give you whatever you want? Great, what's going to happen down the road when the real world intrudes and figuratively smacks the kids upside the head with reality? Not only would our DD not have gone with us, she would have lost privileges (appropriate for her age, of course) had she behaved that way. Fortunately, our DD knew from an early age that grown ups need grown up time, and that children do very well getting spoiled by grandma and grandpa from time to time. It's great for the grandparents (or other family members) too. We took plenty of trips with her (and often she was allowed to bring a friend or my "baby" sister--they're nearly the same age). As an adult, she travels whenever possible.

Go--Enjoy--Come back refreshed, rejuvinated, and with a greater appreciation for how important couples time is to your mental health and the health of the whole family.:D

beachchick

My hubby & I are going on our cruise at the end of February KID FREE! I'm sure I'll miss them, but I'm really, REALLY looking forward to spending adult time with my husband. As many posters have stated - it's SO important to reconnect. Fortunately, my kids aren't giving us a hard time - their grandparents will come watch them while we're gone, then we're taking them to Disney this fall. Fun times!

I just don't think that kids belong on a cruise. I think cruises are should be for adults only, or the kids should be like over 12 or something. But I know that families go on them and that is fine. I just can't stand when people don't "watch" their kids and they are running all over the place, running into people, being in places where they aren't supposed to be (i.e. Solarium), or having some parent tell another cruiser that their behavior is X rated because their kid is right there, when it's their right to have a good time too, and by X rated, the person was telling an adult joke and this guys kid happened to be swimming by and the parents yelled at the other guy and told him to shut up because his kid was there, The guy telling the joke just laughed and asked the guy to take his kid to the kid section of the ship. Which was a nicer response then I would have given him. I'm not saying that everyone is like that, but a lot of people are and it's distrurbing. That's all!!!

I understand that is your opinion but at the same time when these parents work as hard as they do and do not get much of a chance to take a vacation and no imediate family to watch the kids, who are we to say that they should not bring thier kids?? Espeically on a 5 day or more cruise, these ships if you noticed have been set up to take on kids cause they are aware of the length of time they will be on board. A cruise should be no more different than vacationing on a land package. Yeah ok the parent may have over reacted but we cant tell a parent who to reacted when tryin to protect thier child rather its movies, TV or an X rated joke. I myself will be using the childrens facilities when I do take my children on a cruise all day until they close :D but I will also spend time with them on board also....By the way have seen plenty of childre behave on a much more mature level then some adults and these were at times at ADULTS only resorts....so to each thier own

Hey - even Vegas caters to FAMILIES now!!! It intrigues me that so many people talk about the breakdown of families and how we should be spending more time developing STRONGER families, yet we shouldn't be vacationing with our children? Hmm... It really isn't (or shouldn't be) the issue of taking kids on a cruise (although there is nothing wrong with having adults only vacations/destinations), but an issue of being a parent by disciplining your children and teaching them manners. Just my two cents! :)

We do a family vacation each year and hubby and I do a cruise each year, now two a year since we are empty nesters.

I never felt guilty about going away on our own because I firmly believe that couple time is required for a strong marriage. Our kids would stay at my mom's so Grandma got to have some quality time with the kids and we got some well deserved private time.

Go have fun and cherish the time!

I agree with this wholeheartedly. When I was a child we had family vacations and my parents went on their own sometimes too. At these times I stayed with my Nana and I cherish those memories of our quality time with her and papa.

Hey - even Vegas caters to FAMILIES now!!! It intrigues me that so many people talk about the breakdown of families and how we should be spending more time developing STRONGER families, yet we shouldn't be vacationing with our children? Hmm... It really isn't (or shouldn't be) the issue of taking kids on a cruise (although there is nothing wrong with having adults only vacations/destinations), but an issue of being a parent by disciplining your children and teaching them manners. Just my two cents! :)

Actually Vegas isnt quite catering to families as they once did. They were losing to much gambeling dollars and as you can tell by current ad campaigns, they are looking for the more adult clientele. As is whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas :D

I agree with you. But in my opinion, families need to go on vacations that are more family friendly and not more adult friendly and it just irks me when people get upset because their kid heard an adult joke when in my opinion, the kid should have never been there in the first place. Cruises are generally geared towards adults. I really hope the Cruise Lines (with the exception of Disney) put an age limit on their cruises or create "Adult Only Cruises". That would eliminated the curse of the ankle biter! :) Until then, all we can do is suffer together. : )

I agree with you. But in my opinion, families need to go on vacations that are more family friendly and not more adult friendly and it just irks me when people get upset because their kid heard an adult joke when in my opinion, the kid should have never been there in the first place. Cruises are generally geared towards adults. I really hope the Cruise Lines (with the exception of Disney) put an age limit on their cruises or create "Adult Only Cruises". That would eliminated the curse of the ankle biter! :) Until then, all we can do is suffer together. : )

I wish I could give my opinion based on my experiences with cruising, but I can't since I've never been on one! :p In all fairness though, part of the cruise industry IS marketing towards children (RCI certainly is with all the hype about their children's program). Families should always take into consideration their vacation environment before booking a cruise. I wouldn't consider booking a family cruise on the Cunard line with my 7 and 3 year old daughters - just doesn't seem like a good fit for us; however, Disney would be perfect!

I guess my point is, parents need to control their children (and themselves too, often times! lol), but we should all be respectful of one another. I love a great joke (clean or not), but am responsible enough not to tell one in the presence of children. And if I saw that my children were in an area where it was more "grown up," then I'd move them to the children's area. I don't understand why a pool area is an adult area though (unless it is in the Solarium). Maybe I'm too close to the situation with having young children??? :p

As you said, we all have to suffer together! lol I do know that we will be child-free on our upcoming cruise - and cannot wait to spend that time with my hubby!! :D By the way, when are you going on the Mariner? Have a wonderful time!

I used to feel horribly guilty that I left my son with my parents to go on a trip that fell on his 1st birthday!!! But it was my birthday too and my parents insisted that they wanted to babysit so off we went!! They thought I was crazy to want to take a baby on vacation.

The years passed (he's now 28 and married) and there was a mix of trips where I took my son or he stayed with my parents...he still tells me the best times he had were with grandma and grandpa when I went away!!

I took him on his first cruise when he was 15...he was bored!!!

(But he did cruise for his honeymoon last May!)

and i have NEVER left her for more than 18 hours!!!!!!!!! Crazy? Yes, I probably am. But I am a single mom and I wouldn't have any fun without her. Plus, my parents are getting up there in age and I wouldn't feel right asking them to watch her while I cruised the caribbean. Plus she has been on many cruises and loves them I don't think she would ever forgive me if I went without her!!

My dad went to Orlando on business (and took my mom) when I was 8. I still remember it. It was awful - I cried for days. Of course I didn't picture my dad in meetings, I pictured him on the roller coasters having fun without me. But he's such a softy - he paid for me and my sister (who was watching me - she's 13 yrs older than me) to stay in a hotel for the weekend - the hotel had an indoor pool (and it was winter here). Between the indoor pool and room service it all worked out well for me.

Kathy

Last year, we took our first vacation (cruise) together and left our 4 year old son behind. I enjoyed the cruise but not fully as I was pregnant with our now 8 month old daughter. We struggled with our decision this year but DH and I will be cruising in April without the kids. They will stay with my parents and my sister is dogsitting. We will definitely miss them but will be taking them on vacation in August. My daughter will be 1 when we sail but I know she is safe with my mother who babysits her during the work week (she is used to spending a lot of time there and has a blast).

Okay, not okay with it again, I am starting to cry..:(

• 1 month later...

I'm so happy I found this thread..it's making me feel much better. :) DH and I will be sailing on the Graundeur of the Seas 3-31 for our very first cruise ever...(so excited!) I have an 11yr old son who will be staying home with Grandma & Grandpa and I've been feeling guilty b/c it's his spring break too, but we just got married in August and never really had a honeymoon yet~ so I'm trying to be OK with it. I do also take him on vacation every year..and will this summer as well...but just felt that me and the new hubby should take our first cruise/honeymoon alone. I know when I see all the kids on board the ship I'm gonna miss him terribly...I hope I made the right choice. :confused:

We have always taken our children on vacation with us, and now that they are teenagers, they are serious world travelers who know how to interact with the world and many different/unusual situations it presents.

Does it present a challenge? Yes - you have to be flexible and have realistic expectation. It is worth it - most definitely.

We would never have dreamed of leaving them home. Even when they were too young to remember, we were making family memories for ourselves. And whether or not they remember is not the point. It's about living in the moment, and at the time, they were having fun splashing in the water, playing on the beach, and spending time in another environment.

Children grow so quickly and it isn't long before they don't want to be with their parents and don't want to leave their friends to go on a family vacation, so make the most of this precious time when you can bring them.

WE are taking our 3 and 4 yr old daughters. First off we DO NOT have family to watch them. We want to build memories, play, show them things they have never seen. The first 5 yrs of their lives are so very important. They will finally have mom and dad at the same time all day long. My hubby works sun up to sun down and I work afternoons till the wee hrs of the morning. For us this will be a great bonding time. We will not let our children near the main pools, we will not be in the main dining room for a 2 hr dinner. We will go to beaches, stroll leisurely through the ports and just have fun. I understand why some people feel children should be left at home until they are older but just as it is our choice to bring them it is others choice not to.

Me and my wife left her son with her parents on our first cruise when he was 3 and a half. We went on the Serenade and felt guilty since they had such a wonderful childrens area. So what did we do? Book the same cruise when he was 5 of course!! He had a blast and loved all the islands.

Archived