Recent Elation cruisers: passport required?

soccermommie

When we booked our Elation cruise, we were told no passport would be required - just needed birth certificate and driver's license; however, our documents came today and tucked into the document folder is a little blue slip of paper stating that a passport is required for US citizens. We leave in 5 weeks - EEK!

So, those who were recently aboard the Elation out of Galveston, were you required to have a passport to board or not? If not, did you hear any rumblings that a passport would soon be required?

Since we're traveling more and more, we are definitely going to get passports. We're just trying to figure out how expeditiously we need to do so!

Soccermommie

There were seven in our family group that cruised the Elation July 11-18. Only one of the group had a passport. There was no mention at the time that passports were needed. The six other members used birth certificates.

I suggest you call Carnival to check about the passport requirement.

We had a great time.

I would think if the notification was on a piece of paper slipped into your docs, that it may have been something that has recently changed (perhaps due to one of the ports you are visiting??)... if you received something in your docs telling you that you are required to get a passport, I'd say it is pretty safe to say that you should go ahead and get a passport... you can get one in time, but you need to get working on it now... I would say go get your pics done tomorrow, download the paperwork and get everything off Monday... you should get them in about 2-3 weeks, if you don't see them at 3 weeks and you are worried, you can call your Senators office and there is someone there that can somehow expedite them (not sure how it is done, but I had to do this 10 years ago... wish I could remember the exact process!!!)... good luck! You should have plenty of time to get the passorts though...

I was on Elation in May and this was not the case even though I use my passport.....May have been your TA just putting that note in there and saying passport knowing that it's going that way and most people are getting them that never have...I bet a simple phone call to your TA would ease your mind.

Archived