beginner snorkeling

bookworm82

yes most dive centers offer a snorkle lesson, also you can contact a local scuba club, some offer skin diving lessons too

also on a snorkle boat they give a quick lesson b4 getting into the water...hope this helps

There are 5 of us going to Grand Cayman in June and we would like to snorkle but we're not sure how. Can anyone recommend a beginner snorkeling class or something. Thanks a lot.

Bookworm - I've found that most of the trip operators typically give a short lesson on snorkeling right on/off the boat. It is a bit weird at first but you should get used to it quickly. After learning in St. Croix on a Buck Island tour, I went out the next year and bought myself a snorkel and prescription goggles (no fins, though).

Bookworm,

If you can float, then you can snorkel. Actually, you don't even need to be able to float on your own because most snorkeling operators provide safety vests that inflate enough to keep you afloat.

I have loved snorkeling from the minute I put my masked face in the water! My DH was a bit reluctant - he watched from the shore on the first excursion, and insisted that he didn't like snorkeling. (Even though he'd never tried it!) On our second cruise, he agreed to go with me, but complained right up until the moment that he - you guessed it - put his face in the water!:rolleyes: From that moment on, he has loved it. Now, when we're discussing cruising, his first question is: where are we going to snorkel?

I do recommend snorkeling off a boat, rather than from shore. The main reason is that the boats go right to the reefs/points of interest, and you just jump in the water from them. I also recommend that you try to book a snorkeling excursion with a small group. It is much easier to get around if you're not worried about getting kicked in the face. It's not always easy to tell if an excursion is a small group or not, but I've noticed that the higher the price, (usually) the smaller the group. We did an excursion in St. Thomas last summer with a maximum capacity of 16. It was expensive, but worth it. We were even served shrimp cocktail on the way back to the pier!

Have a great time on your cruise!

Archived