best ruins to see in Belize?

cruise8x+

Shore excursions for Belize and Costa Maya to ruins seem to be around 7 hours long. I would like to see the best place, which ruin has the best tour also, is the ride to get to them is it really scary? I read that the drivers are wild in Belize and Costa Maya.

My first choice would be the Lamani ruins. It wasn't offered on our last cruise by RCCL so although I had planned to go, wasn't able to.

After reading about all the different ruins tours, what appealed to me about the Lamani ruins was that it involves a boat ride to the ruins, which I have read is very interesting by itself followed by the ruins.

My wife and I are headed there in February aboard the NCL Sun, we were there last in 2004 and did the Jungle River Tubing and Ruins, big disappointment. So this time I wanted to see some Mayan ruins, so Xunantunich is the one, there is not too much too do in town outside the secure port facilities and so I wanted a tour that would take the whole day.

Norwegian Sun 2007 W.caribbean 4 wks to go!!!:D

Costa Magica 2006 E.caribbean

Norwegian Star 2005 Alaska

HAL Zuiderdam 2005 Bahamas

Norwegian Sea 2004 W.caribbean

We were planning to do the Lamanai excursion when we were in Belize last month but as Vmom said, RCCL did not offer it. We went to Xunantunich instead and loved every minute of it. Our guide was very good and told us the history of the ruins and all about Belize in general on the bus ride to the ruins. The ruins were beautifiul and we were able to climb to the top of El Castillo and see some breathtaking scenery. It was somewhat of an adventure climbing the ruin. We stopped for lunch on the way back. Most of us slept on the bus for the 1.5 hour ride back. The ride was not scary at all. If you do a 7 hour excursion, I strongly suggest doing it through the cruise line. We were late getting back and they added an extra tender for us.

We did the Laminai New River tour last time we were in Belize and it included a bus ride to the New River and an awesome boat ride to Laminai. Reverse this coming back. The bus was a Greyhound type and the guide and the driver were both very good. They served lunch at Laminai and then the rain forest tour and the ruins were very, very interesting. You can climb the ruins. We are going back in March and are torn between seeing Altun Ha this time or doing Laminai again. Leaning towards Laminai. It was great! The boat ride alone was worth the price!

Last year I did the Xunantunich tour and loved. I climbed to the top of El Castillo, for what it's worth. The site was abandoned about 1000 years ago, but the main temple is still one of the tallest buildings in Belize.

• 1 month later...
We did the Laminai New River tour last time we were in Belize and it included a bus ride to the New River and an awesome boat ride to Laminai. Reverse this coming back. The bus was a Greyhound type and the guide and the driver were both very good. They served lunch at Laminai and then the rain forest tour and the ruins were very, very interesting. You can climb the ruins. We are going back in March and are torn between seeing Altun Ha this time or doing Laminai again. Leaning towards Laminai. It was great! The boat ride alone was worth the price!

Did u do this trip through Carvinal or did u book us some on the Island? We are trying to decide what to do. I am still learning this site also. Thanks, Michelle

We toured Xunantunich via NCL Sun in Feb. First to tender off then made the long drive while touring the ruins in about 1 1/2hrs then had lunch on the way back. We arrived back in port around 315 and had time to shop. The total tour length was 6 1/2hrs so it is risky not to book through your ship. The climb to the top of El Castillo was great along with the preserved friezes. This is a different type of tour in which we had only 15 people on a 54 passenger bus.

I booked Lamanai through a private operator 3 weeks ago. Was aware of the risk of being late but things went well. Myself and tourmates arrived early - very important to be energetic in getting off the ship on time. The drivers in Belize are aggressive, but your own driver will be used to it. Our driver spoke English well enough and gave us a mini-history of Belize along the way. Obviously very proud of his country.

The boat ride is an excursion in itself. The New River is full of large and small birds and other animals as well, including lizards, crocodiles, aerial termite nests, and even a colony of Mennonites who waved to us. Also the breeze from the fast-traveling boat keeps you comfortable.

The ruins are quite spectacular in a remote setting beside a lagoon, surrounded by large palms and strangler figs with howler monkeys grunting in the treetops. There is the attractive Jaguar Temple, Mask Temple with a well-preserved giant stone face, and the very old High Temple, along with some other structures such as a ball-court. We climbed the High Temple which is a bit strenuous, but the view is worth it. Lunch was not bad: chicken, rice and pop, eaten in the boat to save time. We did not encounter any problems and got back with about an hour to spare. The only regret is not being able to enjoy it quite fully due to the time factor.

If you can't book through the ship you can still do it, I did, but be sure to communicate with the tour guides and ship's purser because there isn't a lot of slack time. Provided you plan well (and are not unlucky) you can make it without undue tension.

Did not see them myself, but people who visited Xunantunich and Altun Ha reported being satisfied. Altun Ha is not that far away, so I imagine it would be the "safest", even if you book it off-ship.

Lard Greystroke, your excursions sounds exactly what we're looking for. Which company did you use? did you book in advance? How many people in your group?

I booked through Belize Cruise Excursions. My group consisted of myself, who tagged along with a group of four who arranged the tour independently of me. I did book several weeks in advance over the internet, paying a deposit of 20%. The company seemed to have its act together and arranged a nice excursion with no glitches.

We too went to Lamanai with Belize Cruise Excursions. We had a wonderful time and agree with Lard Greystoke that my only regret is that we did not have more time at Lamanai. It was the best excursion of our cruise.

We were the only ones from our ship or any other cruise line on the excursion. Therefore, we were the only ones on the river and at Lamanai! What a treat. It also helped that our tour to start 7am Belize time (8:00am ship time).

I also agree with Lard Greystoke that you have to energetic - great description! - about getting off the ship! As I have said in posts, talk to the Purser's Desk to get the specifics of getting on an early tender when using a private tour operator. You will have to ask about this - they will not tell you.

Enjoy!

Archived