Bringing wine on board?

kimohio

I have gotten wine and liqour (in water bottles) on all cruises below with no problem. I always put it in checked luggage and I have not had a problem.

Most ships do charge corkage, but only in the dining rooms. A crisp $20 bill to the room steward on the first night with a request for 4 wine glasses and an ice bucket everynight has always worked out well for us.

We have a glass getting ready, and bring one with us to the dining room as if we purchased it at the champange bar, and it is never questioned.

By the way, don't forget to bring a wine key!!!!!

Good Luck!

I have gotten wine and liqour (in water bottles) on all cruises below with no problem. I always put it in checked luggage and I have not had a problem.

Most ships do charge corkage, but only in the dining rooms. A crisp $20 bill to the room steward on the first night with a request for 4 wine glasses and an ice bucket everynight has always worked out well for us.

We have a glass getting ready, and bring one with us to the dining room as if we purchased it at the champange bar, and it is never questioned.

By the way, don't forget to bring a wine key!!!!!

Good Luck!

One of my wishes for the new year is that when such a question and such an answer is presented is routed to........."please use search function:rolleyes: ".

I see that you have NOT sailed on NCL.........You are not allowed to smuggle.......if you have it in your luggage it will be confiscated.......it may not be cost effective if you bring your own wine unless it is a very expensive bottle due to the corkage fee......there is a bar-set-up available.

To follow up on Ann's comments:

The corkage fee on NCL is $15 per bottle of wine/champagne.

This discussion usually takes place about once a week on these boards.

While there are stories of some being able to sneak their wine on board, there are far more stories of those who did not succeed. NCL loves people to tell their alcohol smuggling stories, because pretty soon, we hear about someone who fails because NCL knows what to look for thanks to these boards!!

The safest and most honest thing to do is to put the wine in your carry on bag. When you get up to the security desk as you are going on the ship, simply tell the security officer that you have wine in your luggage. He/she will ask you to step over to a table to pay the fee, they put stickers on your bottles and away you go. Everything legal, nothing embarassing and you have the satisfaction of being an honest person.

If you try to smuggle it on in your checked luggage and they find it, you will receive notice to come to the naughty room and wait in line to pay the fee and claim your luggage. If they catch it in your carry on, they will have you pay the fee but it most likely will be more embarassing than simply being honest up front.

How exactly to I go about paying the corkage fee? I'm willing to pay the $15 but am not sure when to to whom. I'd it be in my checked luggage, but some of it may need to be in a checked bag. (we'd like to bring a few boxes)

Thank you.

The corkage fee is charged to your cabin (on board account). Prior to boarding the ship after you have gone through port security they will create your on board account. You provide them with a credit card and they take your picture and then you get your boarding pass card which is your room key as well as what you for onboard purchases. Hope this helps!

How exactly to I go about paying the corkage fee? I'm willing to pay the $15 but am not sure when to to whom. I'd it be in my checked luggage, but some of it may need to be in a checked bag. (we'd like to bring a few boxes)

Thank you.

If it is in your carry on luggage, you simply tell the person at the security screening that you have wine and would like to pay the corkage fee. They will simply ask you to step over to a seperate table to handle the fee (charge to your onboard account) and place the stickers on the wine.

As far as checked luggage, I'm not sure there is a method to declaring it. I think you just have to wait until they notify you to come to the room where the luggage is to pay the fee and claim your luggage.

Reports on this board are that the fee is $15.00 per bottle or box.

I carried 3 bottles of wine in my backpack on the 1/5 sailing of the Pearl. It was screened and no one stopped me or asked me to pay a corkage fee. I fully expected to, but to my knowledge no one was charged a fee. I certainly did nt smuggle the wine on board. I would have paid the fee if asked.

The wine list on board is rather limited. If you have a favorite wine, go ahead and take it.

If it is in your carry on luggage, you simply tell the person at the security screening that you have wine and would like to pay the corkage fee. They will simply ask you to step over to a seperate table to handle the fee (charge to your onboard account) and place the stickers on the wine.

As far as checked luggage, I'm not sure there is a method to declaring it. I think you just have to wait until they notify you to come to the room where the luggage is to pay the fee and claim your luggage.

Reports on this board are that the fee is $15.00 per bottle or box.

Would someone REALLY REQUEST to pay the corkage fee.

Newbies really can't be expected to either remember all the questions that have been asked over the last several weeks, let alone over the last few years. I too share the frustration with the search function (just waited several minutes to get a white screen), and when you do get answers to the search, there may be a lot to go through.

I've tried to use the search feature often. It is the most irritating and slowest search feature i've ever used..... It is my biggest frustration with these boards..... .

Agreed. In two years, the search feature has given me perhaps three or four at the most "Good" responses....Or a white screen, or fatal error message. It is a miserable feature. Perhaps it is to be "Fixed" along with the rest of the site.

As for smuggling anything onboard - that is very tacky IMHO.

The corkage fee feature has been well described by those who know about such things.....

Name calling and such is not necessary, nor appreciated on these boards.

To follow up on Ann's comments:

The corkage fee on NCL is $15 per bottle of wine/champagne.

Does the same fee apply if you get liquor at a port or do they simply confiscate that until the end? Also I have heard mixed reports on non-alcholic drinks like water and soda.

just back off the jewel. it is a very simple process. they screen your bags and if it is in carry-on, you can pay the fee right then (via your onboard account). if it is in your checked bags, you will be sent a message to go claim your bags and pay the corkage fee once you are on board. i saw a lot of liquor that was confiscated at embarkation. you can only carry on wine or champagne. water does not get charged. we carried on 2 2-gallon water jugs and didn't get a single look or question. i don't know about soda. we also carried on 2 bottles of sparkling cider (my wife is pregnant) and didn't have to pay for that. i took four 1.5 L bottles of wine we like and only paid the $15 fee for each bottle, or $60 total. for having wine to sip on my balcony during the cruise, or to take to dinner with us, i thought it well worth the fee. also, every time i took wine to the dinner table, the waiter immediately got glasses and also (if it was white) an ice bucket to put it in, and they only checked once (at teppenyaki) to be sure that i had paid the corkage fee. it really is pretty straightforward.

Agreed. In two years, the search feature has given me perhaps three or four at the most "Good" responses....Or a white screen, or fatal error message. It is a miserable feature. Perhaps it is to be "Fixed" along with the rest of the site.

As for smuggling anything onboard - that is very tacky IMHO.

The corkage fee feature has been well described by those who know about such things.....

Name calling and such is not necessary, nor appreciated on these boards.

That was my quote in my post , and it got deleted..... I guess someone on CruiseCritic doesnt like criticism.......

That was my quote in my post , and it got deleted..... I guess someone on CruiseCritic doesnt like criticism.......

At the moderators discretion, posts are pulled if they do not adhere to the standards of the board.

I believe all of this is covered in the "Guidelines" above.

Perhaps a moment to review them would be helpful.:)

Criticism, without personal reference, or usage of foul language, or name calling abounds on these boards.

This board is generally helpful and a useful source of much information, and sharing of ideas and experiences.

Off the Spirit 10 days ago :( Brought two 1.5l bottles of wine - $30 corkage total charged to onboard account. No extra tip to room steward and were always glasses and bucket filled with ice twice a day. Also brought two fridge packs - coke and diet coke - in our suitcases no problems. Very easy process - just take your corkage receipt with you to the dining room if you take your wine to dinner. Also no problem getting remains of wine twice. With this and the honeymoon/anniversary package almost too much wine for a 11 night cruise!!!

Archived